After updating Android 7.1 to Android 9 on NOKIA 3, screen lock says WRONG PIN

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Yesterday I updated my NOKIA 3 android 7.1 to Android 9. After loading it, when I booted it for the first time, it does not recognise the PIN which I used with Android 7.1. I use the same PIN for both - Power ON and screen Lock. Phone reconises the PIN for Power ON but does not recognise for screen lock.

I do not want to lose the data. so Please let me know if there is a way to unlock it other than HARD RESET. Are there any patches on Android 9 which can be run on SD card and reset the password?

I am desperate. Please help.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I've seen a few reports about the Pie update causing this kind of thing on Nokia phones, but it wasn't as widespread as one of the recent Galaxy S10 updates. Unfortunately, the solution that was always mentioned was a factory reset, as mustang7757 already said.:-\

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I've seen a few reports about the Pie update causing this kind of thing on Nokia phones, but it wasn't as widespread as one of the recent Galaxy S10 updates. Unfortunately, the solution that was always mentioned was a factory reset, as mustang7757 already said.:-\

On the S10, that didn't recognize the power up PIN either. It looks like this time it recognizes the power up PIN.

To the OP, I don't have that phone, but if you reboot, does it recognize the pin and get you into your home screen? I know some phones do that (at least my current one does). If that gets you in without entering a pin again on a lock screen, that at least gets you in to backup your data just in case. You can also try changing your pin in the security settings and see if that corrects the issue.

If it makes you enter your pin twice on boot up and it doesn't recognize it the second time around, then I'm afraid you will be looking at a factory reset without being able to backup anything that isn't already. Just make sure you remember your Google login info, because the factory reset will likely trigger the reset protection screen when you set it up again.

Shriambi

Aug 27, 2019
Visit site
To the OP, I don't have that phone, but if you reboot, does it recognize the pin and get you into your home screen?

I did reboot but it did not recognise the Screen lock PIN.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana