Android Central Photo Contest: Railroad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
ac-photo-contest-railroad.jpg

Gare Du Nord from above

All aboard! We're looking for your best railroad photos in the latest Android Central Photo contest. Whether you're on the train yourself, crossing the tracks or just see the way a railroad fits into a landscape, we want to see you capture it with your Android.

Three winners will have their photos picked for prizes in this contest, and have their work highlighted on Android Central for all to see. The prize is an iStabilizer smartFlex Flexible Leg Tripod, which should help with your future Android photography.

Entering is easy. Just drop your entry in a post below. Tell us what Android you used to get the picture, and any back story you want to add to it. We'll pick a winner Tuesday (July 14) night at 11:59 PM ET, and announce them on the blog with next Wednesday's contest.

• Pictures must be taken with an Android device
  • Pictures must be uploaded to the contest thread. I'm not running all over the Internet to track them down.
  • You have to tell us what device you used to take the picture, and any special software you might have used. Editing your pictures is fine — this is art.
  • Feel free to add a little back story — we want to know how the picture came to be.
  • You must have used a valid email address to register here at AC, so I know how to contact the winner.
  • Only one entry per contest per person.

Good luck, everyone!

Pedalbflat

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Steam_train.jpg

I'll give it a shot this time. This shot was just barely taken with my LG G3 (fortuitous timing, I might add). The only editing I did was to crop the picture and do a basic adjustment of the color with Google Photos. This was on a stream train - engine number 40, Nevada Northern Railroad Museum - in Ely, NV. It really gives you a genuine taste as to how desolate railroading was back in those days.

I'm actually surprised the shot turned out as well as it did, considering how fast we were going as well as how much the cars were swaying.

FYI, I chose to edit the above picture one last time to bring out of the colors, still with just Google Photos. I'm curious which one you all would prefer.

Attachments

• Steam train.jpg
    Steam train.jpg
    670.2 KB · Views: 200
Last edited:

yankees368

May 17, 2010
Visit site
snip.JPG

I think this shot was taken in 2013 with my Galaxy S4. It is a shot of the Long Island Rail Road's West Side Yard in Manhattan, shot from an upper floor of the Associated Press building. These trains are stored here in the afternoon and are all dispatched into Penn Station for the evening rush.

Clinton Fitch

Jul 1, 2015
Visit site
IMG_20150625_112709.jpg

Hi Everyone,

This photo was taken in Hoosier Pass near Leadville, Colorado. It was shot with my OnePlus One. The train had stopped and we were able to disembark for a bit at the top of the pass (about 11,000 ft) to enjoy the views. The empty rails going around the bend caught my eye.

Clinton

Ben Farrall

Jul 1, 2015
Visit site
IMG_20141220_105355.jpg

First post around these parts.

Photo taken with my Oneplus One, with no initial filter. Then touched up using the standard tools in Google Photos. I wanted to keep your focus on the platform and the light reaching down it mostly.

Taken on a cool morning in Perth station, Scotland. On my way further north to see my folks. It's a quiet station mostly, and this is always the changing platform for me. You can see on the right, the old station walls and perhaps the original entrance archways.

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
Just out snapping pictures with my wife with our G4's after dinner here in Atlanta.
And I can't upload so now I'm editing my post. I'm gonna make a drink.
Posted via the Android Central App

UTSkiBum

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
A view from the Frontrunner train running along the Wasatch Front in Salt Lake City Utah. Photo was shot using a Nexus 4. No special touchup software was used.
Glass Train.jpg

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
I took this photo in beautiful Alaska. I was standing on the caboose during a train tour of the Yukon, one of the most gorgeous places I've ever seen! Taken on my Galaxy SIII.
7d84057698393b7856ba5ec60bbc375d.jpg

Nightscape

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
1st Street bridge heading into downtown LA between two light rail tracks.
The sunset was so beautiful on this particular evening so I decided to park the car before entering the bridge and walked across and back to snap a few photos.
Photo taken with Note 4 cropped to 3:2 and vsco edit.
2015-07-01%2006.27.27%201_zps9je3ilcz.jpg

scaots

May 29, 2010
Visit site
12 - 1.jpg
Taken with GT-N7000 (original Galaxy Note international version) which still can take a pretty great photo, though I just let my daughter play with it now. Edited with Photo Editor app. This was taken a few years ago when people were shocked to see a Note device. It is the Western Maryland Scenic Railroad and I think the sepia effect really makes it look period appropriate.

chinaco

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Shot with a Droid Turbo. Nothing special added, just cropped and sharpened a bit. I was stuck in Seattle traffic one day and liked the view.

IMG_20150619_174052788_HDR (1).jpg

Last edited:

Rambling On

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
IMG_20140120_163541-01.jpg
Taken on my HTC One m7, a much underrated camera, especially in low light. Edited with Snapseed. This is the Olympic Stadium in London, with the railways passing either side.

Margaretiak

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
I'm not allowed to upload pictures because of my fresh new account, so here it goes.
It's taken from ruins of an old castle. Using LG G2 and snapseed. And also your imagination because I can't upload it. ttp://i.imgur.com/QqqrNJ9.jpg

Tarun Ottur

Jan 16, 2015
Visit site
IMG_20141223_171711.jpg

Taken with my Moto X 1st Gen. Edited in directly from edit option in gallery.
This was taken from in between Chennai and Delhi, India. Not sure of the place. It was dusk. The sun was just powerful enough to lighten up the scene.

bigslam123

May 3, 2010
Visit site
train.jpg

I took this picture at Union Station, on my way to NYC, with a Galaxy S5. I used PicSay Pro to add a few filters to it. I wanted it to look like an antique photo.

John Fourty

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
IMAG0233.jpg

Years of living in the limelight had really taken it's toll on Thomas.

Taken with a HTC One M8, Sense 6, downloaded from Google Photos using the search term "train".

wandriessen

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Taken with my Moto X 2014. No Filters.
This is the train station of Pattipola, Sri Lanka. I was waiting for the train for a spectacular 2-hour ride to Ella.

IMG_20150613_144945.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.