Android P (Dev Preview 4) -- Live!

Status
Not open for further replies.

vansmack

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Not to mention that Google has been in the vanguard of the Now-You-See-It-Now-You-Don't-Ha-Ha-You-Fell-For-It-Again! UI Development movement. Something that they're sure to get even better at now that they've got all that HTC talent working for them.

In my eyes, that's kind of the point of Beta. Try things out, see what works and implement it in final release. Things are supposed to disappear in Beta...

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
why would your app drawer or recent apps open when pulling your notification shade down? I've been on beta for months now and it's never happened.

also, my settings on playstore are showing my device as "certified" now after clearing data and cache and restarting phone. wasn't having any issues that im aware of, but I didn't like it not showing it as certified
Mine says uncertified now. Didn't say anything before. Wiped cache, data and restarted.
0f4247a10a17ffc99a962ff12ff5145a.jpg

stang6790

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
My thoughts on the gesture navigation are that they should move the google search bar down to the area where the pill and back button is making the search bar the new gesture area, thus freeing up screen space. Then you would tap the G in the bar to search, tap the center for Home, long press for Assistant, swipe up for App drawer and Recents, and swipe right to left for Back.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Saw a comparison of gesture methods on Android over on Droid Life today. I'm with Kellen, I think Moto got it right on the new Z3 Play. Short nav bar, long narrow pill/button. Swipe left for back, swipe right for recent. Tap for home, hold for assistant. Simple yet very functional. That said, I don't think it's any better than buttons but it's the best gesture navigation I've seen on Android.

https://www.droid-life.com/2018/07/05/android-gesture-battle-google-vs-oneplus-vs-motorola/

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Working on a project in my backyard. Last weekend on 8.1 I had great WiFi reception and throughput. This weekend on DP4 it won't even connect in the same spot.

Edit:. Nevermind. Toggled WiFi off and back on and it connected.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
anyone still waiting for the ota? I'm still on dp3

Go to Settings -> System -> Advanced -> System Update and check for update there. Should be available for anyone with a Pixel phone.

My thoughts on the gesture navigation are that they should move the google search bar down to the area where the pill and back button is making the search bar the new gesture area, thus freeing up screen space. Then you would tap the G in the bar to search, tap the center for Home, long press for Assistant, swipe up for App drawer and Recents, and swipe right to left for Back.

I agree with you in moving the search bar down so that it eliminates the pill and back button. I don't get the point of moving to a half gesture system when the pill still has the same bar, taking up the same space the previous 3 icon system did. I don't get what this really improves. Gestures do feel better to perform but the super swipe up for app drawer feels weird and I find vertical swiping easier/faster so I preferred the previous app switcher.

It just feels half baked. Hopefully they have a better system in the next Android P release.

TenTuTego

Jan 11, 2018
Visit site
How's your battery life on this release guys? I'm a bit concerned as it's a struggle for me to go over 4h sot.. Regular Pixel 2

Nauga

Nov 9, 2017
Visit site
How's your battery life on this release guys?
My 2 XL hasn't been doing as well on DP 4 as on DP 3. I don't use my phone enough to know from # hours SOT, but standby time isn't as good. I had several days of losing 15%-18% overnight (7-8 hours), which never happened prior to DP 4.

I did a factory reset, and for the past few days I've been seeing more like 8%-10% overnight with AOD. I'm still waiting for Adaptive Battery to prompt me to restrict the apps that it had restricted before the reset, though.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
My 2 XL hasn't been doing as well on DP 4 as on DP 3. I don't use my phone enough to know from # hours SOT, but standby time isn't as good. I had several days of losing 15%-18% overnight (7-8 hours), which never happened prior to DP 4.

I did a factory reset, and for the past few days I've been seeing more like 8%-10% overnight with AOD. I'm still waiting for Adaptive Battery to prompt me to restrict the apps that it had restricted before the reset, though.
Have you had trouble with google pay or any apps since the factory reset as that was when i started having issues. Now no google pay, no alexa, no snapchat/bitmoji or fingerprint login on NatWest App. Don't want to reset again as it took 6 hours to reinstall and login to all my apps.

Nauga

Nov 9, 2017
Visit site
Have you had trouble with google pay or any apps since the factory reset
No trouble with any specific apps that I've noticed. No, I take that back. I had been using an app called GMD Immersive to hide the top & bottom system bars, but that stopped working completely after the reset. Had to switch to the Tiles app and ADB a command to go immersive.

I did have to go through all of the clearing cache & data and force stopping all 3 apps in order to get Google Play to stop claiming the phone was "uncertified" and enable a credit card.

KidAKidB

Jun 23, 2018
Visit site
DP4 has been pretty good for me so far. My Starbucks app decided to just keep crashing today, but a simple uninstall and reinstall of the app fixed the issue, otherwise nothing else I've noticed to be off.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
No trouble with any specific apps that I've noticed. No, I take that back. I had been using an app called GMD Immersive to hide the top & bottom system bars, but that stopped working completely after the reset. Had to switch to the Tiles app and ADB a command to go immersive.

I did have to go through all of the clearing cache & data and force stopping all 3 apps in order to get Google Play to stop claiming the phone was "uncertified" and enable a credit card.
What 3 apps did you clear? I only cleared play store and google pay apps. My device is still uncertified and its a nightmare.

Cleared google app, pay and play store. Rebooted. Still uncertified. Am baffled.

Update: cleared play store again. Force stopped, cleared play services. Waited a minute then device finally certified. Able to activate gpay with my card and enabled fingerprint on my NatWest App. Snapchat logged in finally. So happy again.

Found extra info from a thread in reddit.
beb75373871e158e4d847af10a13dddf.jpg

Last edited:

Nauga

Nov 9, 2017
Visit site
What 3 apps did you clear? I only cleared play store and google pay apps. My device is still uncertified and its a nightmare.
Yep, Play Services was #3 .

FWIW, my Alexa app is also not working.

Turns out, the reality is even weirder. The Alexa app seems to be loading non-stop (endlessly drawing the same row of 3 dots), and I can't activate any of the app's icons, not even Settings. But I have a persistent notification that reads, "Tap the button for Alexa." And if I tap the button, the notification changes to "Listening" and Alexa takes questions and responds verbally and by displaying information on the home screen. Clunky, but it kinda works.

Last edited:

SRFast

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
Android P Beta flagged Spotify as a "Restricted" app in Adaptive Battery and the music kept pausing when the screen was blank/phone locked. I removed it from the "restricted" list and there are no more pauses. App is still battery optimized.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Android P Beta flagged Spotify as a "Restricted" app in Adaptive Battery and the music kept pausing when the screen was blank/phone locked. I removed it from the "restricted" list and there are no more pauses. App is still battery optimized.
I have a different radio app I use that keeps stopping at times. Wonder if that's why. However it has never prompted me about it draining the battery.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Was on a call, had speakerphone on because I was on hold. Went to answer a text and as soon as I hit enter the call disconnected. Called back, waiting on hold again, I could not get the keyboard to open in any app until I exited the call.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

Cleared google app, pay and play store. Rebooted. Still uncertified. Am baffled.

Update: cleared play store again. Force stopped, cleared play services. Waited a minute then device finally certified. Able to activate gpay with my card and enabled fingerprint on my NatWest App. Snapchat logged in finally. So happy again.

Found extra info from a thread in reddit.
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180708/beb75373871e158e4d847af10a13dddf.jpg

You could have just killed a chicken

Status
Not open for further replies.