any battery life issues after JB OTA?

kawana72

Jun 10, 2012
Visit site
The last time I saw Media in the battery stats and tapped it, the list of related apps and services included Downloads and Download Manager, which would explain why the Downloads icon is used. Still not sure why it would be using a large proportion of battery, though. Which begs the question--are you actually experiencing reduced battery life? And if so, have you tried turning off Location Reporting in Google Maps as I had mentioned earlier?

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Android Central Forums
I would consider 14% drain in 2 hours while the phone is in my pocket to be a great reduction in battery life. Especially if you consider that I have a smart action set up during this time to disable mobile data while the screen is off. I did turn off location reporting as well, and the 14% drain occurred in the first 2 hours after I did that. While this media app is doing whatever it's doing the phone is becoming very hot while it's in my pocket. That's what tipped me off to something going on in the first place.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

kawana72

Jun 10, 2012
Visit site
Did you get it in March, mid March, end of March, April? You might still be in on the manufacturers one year warranty. If we can't get this solved, I would call up Verizon and see about a replacement. Tell them you have tried multiple soft resets, hard resets, FDR's. They should send you a refurb one in about a day. So, if you call tomorrow, and they can't figure anything out, it will be with you on Wednesday.

I don't feel that this should fall under manufacturer warranty in the first place. This is an update that Moto and Verizon pushed in conjunction with each other. I know people that got the Christmas leak which resulted in their phones going screwy got replacements, so that should also apply here. I think that after the ordering fiasco of the phone I finally got the phone in mid March.

kawana72

Jun 10, 2012
Visit site
What would happen if I were to disable all the associated packages with that media app? I looked and every one of them includes "run at startup" in the permissions. So that may solve the mystery of why it's running all the time, especially after I power cycle the phone.

TitoRoE

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
I disabled DRM for awhile and checked...the "Media" is not running now...turned DRM back on for a few hours now..."Media" still not running...may come again...not sure...

NOTE: I did not reboot/start the phone after disabling the DRM...

Just checked again this morning...still no "Media" running...will keep my eye on it while I'm out and about during the week...

Last edited:

durango992007

Feb 28, 2012
Visit site
I don't feel that this should fall under manufacturer warranty in the first place. This is an update that Moto and Verizon pushed in conjunction with each other. I know people that got the Christmas leak which resulted in their phones going screwy got replacements, so that should also apply here. I think that after the ordering fiasco of the phone I finally got the phone in mid March.

I know what you are saying, but if you tell them that you have tried the end all problems factory reset to no avail, then there is a problem. You could also talk to moto tech and see what they say. I've been trying many things on my phone to see if it brings up media but i am getting nothing.

Try disabling downloads and see what it does.

kawana72

Jun 10, 2012
Visit site
I know what you are saying, but if you tell them that you have tried the end all problems factory reset to no avail, then there is a problem. You could also talk to moto tech and see what they say. I've been trying many things on my phone to see if it brings up media but i am getting nothing.

Try disabling downloads and see what it does.

I did that and the offender is still showing up. It's definitely tied to the power cycle, because it shows up after every one I do.

MrHost

May 17, 2010
Visit site
uploadfromtaptalk1363754096860.jpg

Mine is better so far. See above. End of the day, only 50% left...

kawana72

Jun 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm certain I have it nailed down to being something that runs when the phone is powered on. The question is "Why won't it stop running like it's supposed to?" What's keeping it going? Would a cache wipe help anything?

I talked to Motorola tech support on Friday and they told me that if a FDR didn't work, I would have to send the phone in for service. Again I find this unacceptable due to the update that Moto and Verizon pushed the update that is doing this to the phone. Isn't there a way that they could walk me through trying to reset this "Media" nonsense without them having to have the phone? I do have insurance, wouldn't it be easier to just make a claim? I'm beyond fed up with this and really just want a phone that works again.

Last edited:

LoisDroidX

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm having the same issue. I just installed GSam and found the "manage" setting for "media," but I didn't find any setting to turn off DRM. Where are the settings for that?

MrHost

May 17, 2010
Visit site
At stock it runs fine, so it is an app that is running rogue under JB on your phone. If you want to do a claim, you should be able to just say your not happy with the battery after the update and do a claim. You may not even need a reason.

Sent from my Xoom using Android Central Forums

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Question. Just downloaded GSam, and I see 'MotoCare' sucking quite a bit of juice even in sleep state. What is it?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

durango992007

Feb 28, 2012
Visit site
I'm certain I have it nailed down to being something that runs when the phone is powered on. The question is "Why won't it stop running like it's supposed to?" What's keeping it going? Would a cache wipe help anything?

I talked to Motorola tech support on Friday and they told me that if a FDR didn't work, I would have to send the phone in for service. Again I find this unacceptable due to the update that Moto and Verizon pushed the update that is doing this to the phone. Isn't there a way that they could walk me through trying to reset this "Media" nonsense without them having to have the phone? I do have insurance, wouldn't it be easier to just make a claim? I'm beyond fed up with this and really just want a phone that works again.

Call the Verizon Warranty Center. They will help you out more than Moto will now. This is not an insurance claim. Call them up, let them know whats going on, they will send you to tech support, they will go through a few things on your phone. Just let them know that you have done the almighty FDR multiple times, as well as hard resets and soft resets. As long as you are still under the year warranty, you should get a refurb phone soon.

kawana72

Jun 10, 2012
Visit site
I spent an hour on the phone with Moto today. I gave the tech remote access and he force stopped Google services framework and Google+. He said his diagnostic tool showed multiple crashes from those two apps. As of now this seems to be helping, but I've been surprised before when dealing with this issue.

LoisDroidX

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I eventually found the DRM & disabled it, with some improvement, but "media" is still running excessively and battery life is still inadequate. What exactly does "media" do, and what are the consequences of disabling it? Anything that can't be fixed by re-enabling it?

kawana72

Jun 10, 2012
Visit site
I eventually found the DRM & disabled it, with some improvement, but "media" is still running excessively and battery life is still inadequate. What exactly does "media" do, and what are the consequences of disabling it? Anything that can't be fixed by re-enabling it?

I know that when I disabled "Media Storage" that's associated with that media app, I couldn't take pictures. So for a time, I had all the associate packages but that one disabled. I wasn't able to use the play store or download pictures from websites with that stuff disabled, but that's all I know for sure.

As for what "Media" does, I never was able to get an answer from Motorola. I'm still not sure except that I would guess that it handles downloads, DRM Content, and Media Storage. I do know that in its permissions it is able to run on startup, but why it constantly needs to run is beyond me. I also couldn't get motorola to explain why it was running and not stopping. It's still a mystery....

LoisDroidX

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
So far, I've tried disabling DRM storage (no obvious effect, including no improvement on the battery drain). I also tried disabling media, and it (or some aspect of it) stayed running (or reinitialized itself). Also, the gallery stopped working so I re-enabled. I continually get "media" at 60-80% and my battery is lasting about half as long as it did before. I'm now in the process of updating apps that seem like they might have some effect on this. (I keep auto-updating turned off, since updated apps seem as likely to cause problems as to solve them). Since another poster suggested some app might be at fault, I'm hoping to find the source of the problem. In the meantime, I'll keep a lookout for any other solutions that people might be finding. I'm really, really don't want to do a factory reset, since I then have to reload all my apps (I have a lot of them) - and one of my favorites is a real bear to reinstall.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Here's an update on my battery life ever since turning off Location Reporting in Google Maps' Settings. There's been a definite improvement. With Location Reporting, at the end of the day, I'd go from 100% down to around 60-65% with my typical light to moderate usage. With Location Reporting turned off, I go from 100% down to 70-80% by the end of the day. Didn't make any other adjustments during this time, so I think it definitely is a factor.

For those of you who haven't read through this entire thread, I'm referring to Location Reporting, which can be turned off in Google Maps' Settings (not the System Settings). To access:

1. Open Google Maps.
2. Tap Menu, then Settings, then Location settings.
3. Tap Location reporting, and select "Do not update my location."

As far as I can tell, Location Reporting is used by Google to collect data, not to let your apps access your location (that setting is in System Settings). So if you turn it off, you don't lose any location-based functionality.

maxman1

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
B. Diddy, just wondering if disabling Location Reporting has any affect on Google Now's trip & return functions, etc.? As you said, I've not seen seen any negative impact on apps that use Maps for a function so if GN is unaffected, why in the world should anyone grant it permission?

As a side note I see that there is only 1 instance of Maps listed in Running Apps with it disabled where there's 2 with it enabled.

Sent from my Droid RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk2

thejdj

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Here's an update on my battery life ever since turning off Location Reporting in Google Maps' Settings. There's been a definite improvement. With Location Reporting, at the end of the day, I'd go from 100% down to around 60-65% with my typical light to moderate usage. With Location Reporting turned off, I go from 100% down to 70-80% by the end of the day. Didn't make any other adjustments during this time, so I think it definitely is a factor.

For those of you who haven't read through this entire thread, I'm referring to Location Reporting, which can be turned off in Google Maps' Settings (not the System Settings). To access:

1. Open Google Maps.
2. Tap Menu, then Settings, then Location settings.
3. Tap Location reporting, and select "Do not update my location."

As far as I can tell, Location Reporting is used by Google to collect data, not to let your apps access your location (that setting is in System Settings). So if you turn it off, you don't lose any location-based functionality.

Seems to have helped my battery life after I made this change several days ago.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rezaking886