Any interest in purchasing the Moto G as a spare device?

Any interest in purchasing the Moto G?

• Total voters

Shawn Magm

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
That's me exactly, except my Nexus 5 is 16GB.

I hope the Moto G is widely available so I can quickly get one if necessary. The 520 is nice for a 2nd phone, but it's too deficient to use as a primary device for too long.

I used the L520 as my primary for 3 1/2 months. It was doable for me, but I still missed Android. Although I have not tried a Moto G, if I had to choose between the Moto G and L520, I'd pick the Moto G assuming it runs smoothly. I do like the L520, but WP8 just isn't there yet for me, and I'm more invested in Google apps.

ntice_521

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
The Moto G is too big/expensive to be a "spare"! Would be great if they made a cheap 4" version like the Nokia 520. That's the perfect low end smartphone, except that it's running the wrong OS.

EggoEspada

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I recently switched back to iOS with the 5s. Originally I was contemplating staying with my HTC ONE, the iPhone 5s, or Moto X. Obviously I made my choice, but really wanted a Moto X. Deep down I'm a bit of a Moto fanboy, so I really wanted the Moto X. But this? This is perfect to have as a secondary device. I also love that I can change the back covers to different colors. I'm definitely buying day one. I just wish Motorola launched an unlocked version for the US ASAP.

Jamie K

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Hopefully getting one of these in a couple of weeks, I love my htc one x but the non removable battery bothers me as it ages. Think the accessories are slightly expensive, but with the price of the 'G' guess they have to get it somewhere!

BuffOrange

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
No use for a backup. Like Phil said on the podcast though, it seems ideal to get my parents for their first smartphone. What a shame that it won't be out by Xmas. Will probably have to settle for the Nokia Lumia 521 instead.

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
I'm actually considering buying the Moto G. Not as a backup, and not for myself. I am thinking about buying it as a gift for someone who doesn't need LTE but could probably use a cheap plan.

CoolBeit

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
I have a Nexus 4 and plan to use it for quite a while, but I'm tempted to buy one of these things just because I want to make sure Moto keeps making quality phones with unlocked sims and unlockable bootloaders at this price point. PLEASE let the US market buy the **** out of this phone!

strav22

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
I have a Nexus 5, sold my Nexus 4 recently. For some stupid reason, I really want to get this. I have no need for this device.

I can see getting this immediately if something were to happen to my Nexus 5. A backup phone with these capabilities sounds like a no brainier.

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
So the Moto G, 16gb, is $179 straight out? That is not a carrier subsidized price? $179 plus tax and shipping and the phone is all mine??

Posted via Android Central App

doomtuba

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
$179 is for the 8 GB version. The 16 GB variant will cost $199, but yes, these prices are unsubsidized, free from any carrier.

strav22

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
FYI, just got it. I posted my initial impressions in the other thread. I'm most likely returning it since I really dont need a back up phone. Its fun to try it out though.

Highly recommend for first time android users who need solid battery life though. If you need HSPA+ 42 or LTE, get the Moto X.

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
$179 is for the 8 GB version. The 16 GB variant will cost $199, but yes, these prices are unsubsidized, free from any carrier.

Yeah, I realized I goofed on the price... LOL. Nice to know that those prices are straight out! Motorola rocks for doing that!!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

David_LFC

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
I have just ordered one as my spare phone. Have a note 3 as my primary device.

This will become my night out phone as it's smaller and I'll be less worried over damage or loss

Posted via Android Central App

strav22

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Have the Nexus 5, Bought the Moto G for back up.

I'm Thinking about returning it, since I don't really need it. It's going to sit in a drawer for backup. I just like the idea that if the Nexus 5 goes to ****, I have a device that will be a solid back up without having to wait to ship another Nexus 5, which will take days if not a week.

I also feel that it could be a waste of $200 because:
1. I need a tablet and a future Moto Tablet would be a automatic buy
2. If my nexus 5 does go to **** (none of my phones have) than it collects dust.

Decisions, Decisions. Any thoughts?

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Have the Nexus 5, Bought the Moto G for back up.

I'm Thinking about returning it, since I don't really need it. It's going to sit in a drawer for backup. I just like the idea that if the Nexus 5 goes to ****, I have a device that will be a solid back up without having to wait to ship another Nexus 5, which will take days if not a week.

I also feel that it could be a waste of $200 because:
1. I need a tablet and a future Moto Tablet would be a automatic buy
2. If my nexus 5 does go to **** (none of my phones have) than it collects dust.

Decisions, Decisions. Any thoughts?

IMO you should always have a spare phone on hand. :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

MDearing

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
If you want to have a backup device, I'd say keep it. In regards to the Moto tablet, CEO Dennis Woodside said today that they're not really focusing on tablets. The logic is that since a tablet is something you buy after you've already got a smartphone, they put more emphasis on making a widely available smartphone.

thatguy97

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
People freak out over LTE too much the fastest I've seen 3G is at 10-15 Mbps and that's probably fine for most people I had an iPhone 5 and LTE was very fast and for me 3G is pretty fast too I love my new Moto G

Sent from my Nexus 7 2013

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Verizon's 3G speeds are horrible, unlike ATT with its HSPA+. Verizon 3G speeds are practically unusable. So on Verizon, no, I would not consider the Moto G due to the lack of 4G LTE. I can use my GNex as a backup.

If I were on ATT, yes, I would get the Moto G for $179 because HSPA+ speeds are pretty good.

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
People freak out over LTE too much the fastest I've seen 3G is at 10-15 Mbps and that's probably fine for most people I had an iPhone 5 and LTE was very fast and for me 3G is pretty fast too I love my new Moto G
Depends on the carrier. 3G on ATT's HSPA+ may be 10-15 Mbps, but no way are you getting that on Verizon's 3G.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I don't think you can use it as a backup device on Verizon post-paid anyway, since they I think they block using pre-paid phones on post-paid lines.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084