Any way to have picture folders not picked up by photo gallery?

Lundon44

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site
Hi all!

To further expand, I'm not looking to just "hide" photos. I installed an app called Reset Collection which organizes my emulators and keeps them looking neat, tidy and pretty. It also does an amazing job of downloading box art for all the games.

Now the issue is I have literally a few thousand roms on my device. And once it downloads the box art it added thousands of new folders with photos in each folder. So the next time I went into my photo gallery app I had a few thousand new photos and folders there. And when I'm trying to share photos with contacts or upload pictures on social media I have to rummage through all these folders and pictures to find the one I wanted to upload.

Samsung's photo gallery allows you to "hide" photo folders which is some respect works. Though it took me about 45 min to hide each folder one by one. But that doesn't stop these pictures from showing up when choosing photos to upload.

Does anyone know of any kind of a workaround where I could have the pictures not recognized by anything other than app itself? Sounds impossible but thought I'd ask.

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
If you want to hide these images from all apps that browse media files, you can put a file called ".nomedia" in the folder. This will prevent the media file indexer from scanning the files in that folder and the subfolders.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
And to expand on ManiacJoe's advice, you can use most any file manager to create that blank file that you title .nomedia (with the leading period). It will definitely prevent those images from appearing in the gallery app, but I'm not 100% sure that it will also prevent the folders from being created.