Anyone else experiencing flaky/unreliable USB connection to PC on their Nexus 4?

myakawa

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
It's dead. Got it to LG repair service, there is a problem with a charger scheme. The scheme burned... They said it can be repaired, but I have to wait till they buy the scheme :( Wait about 1 month... Problem with PC connection is the same as they said.
I charged N4 twice before, not from original charger, but from charger that worked and works fine with all of my other devices.
They took a photo, but I don't understand where is the problem on it. Attached it.

Attachments

• 358794048543108.jpg
    358794048543108.jpg
    255.8 KB · Views: 19

pcdavid52a

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
So are there any clear signs if this so-called "charger scheme" is burned out? Currently my Nexus is unable to be recognized by the XP machines at work and Win7 Machine at home. I cannot charge it via USB connection to either PC even though it shows the battery charging icon on the phone. I also cannot manually install drivers for Nexus 4 because windows deem the drivers incompatible with the device connected (it doesn't even recognize it as a phone?).

omgzam

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
Since the update to 4.2.2, I noticed that my Windows 8 Pro doesn't detect my phone under My Computer. On the phone itself, it is charging through the USB but it's not detected as a device that's plugged into my PC. I've went through 3 different cables and tested on both front and back USB ports of my PC but the problem still persists.

norwoodsteel

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Since the update to 4.2.2, I noticed that my Windows 8 Pro doesn't detect my phone under My Computer. On the phone itself, it is charging through the USB but it's not detected as a device that's plugged into my PC. I've went through 3 different cables and tested on both front and back USB ports of my PC but the problem still persists.

update 4.2.2 requires different adb drivers

ido1985

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
same problem. i have to reconnect a number of times until it recognizes it properly.
i've sort of given up connecting it and just use airdroid all the time...

sting7k

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
I'm using Windows 7. When I plug it in to any of the USB ports it shows up as the "Nexus 4" in My Computer, but when you click on it, you don't see any of the file structure. I basically can't transfer any files to it.

It did work one time, but has not ever since. I have tried it in multiple USB ports on my computer.

As an odd aside, I'm also having issues with wireless transfer with WINAMP. It initially recognized the device and was doing transfers, but now does not recognize it. Anyone have any thoughts? I have reconfirmed that both are operating on the same wireless network. Don't know why they are not connecting.

Your phone must be unlocked to transfer files to and from it.

omgzam

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
Found a solution to my problem.

First I needed to enable Developer Mode:

Settings > About Phone > Tap 'Build Number' 7 times

Then enable USB debugging:

Settings > Developer Options (will appear after you've unlocked Developer Mode) > Check USB debugging

And now I can access my phone's storage through my PC.

adeelx

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I have indeed been having the same problem with my Nexus 4, did you find a solution?
I've tried everything, from stock ROMs to complete reset, but the problem persists.
-- Update --
I see that you posted the solution, I've tried 3 different USB cables but the problem persists.
Seems like a hardware problem.

Last edited:

insjmb

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site
I'm having the same problem, but enabling usb debugging mode still doesn't give me access to my files. Also, when the phone is connected via usb it seems to toggle between charging and not charging and occasionally when I disconnect it it continues to display that it's charging for a couple of minutes after. I've also noticed that when it's connected to a charger (either the computer via usb or a wall charger) the screen turns on and off repeatedly. I didn't have any of these problems before the 4.3 update and am using all the same chords/chargers as before so I'm assuming this is a software bug. Any other suggestions to help fix this besides changing the usb connection type, enabling usb debugging, holding the power button when connecting the usb or buying new chords?

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
--snip--
I didn't have any of these problems before the 4.3 update ...
--snip--

People generally don't want to hear this, but the reality is that there is probably nothing at all wrong with the update. Instead, you have one or more apps installed which are not 4.3 compliant. Right off the bat, I would be extremely suspicious of all "battery saving" apps and the like.

Also, the front USB ports on most PCs are not identical to the rear ones. If you are plugging into a front port, go ahead and try one of the rear ones. And, if your phone has security set up (PIN, Pattern, Face), log onto the phone first and then connect to the PC.

insjmb

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site
"I didn't have any of these problems before the 4.3 update and am using all the same chords/chargers as before so I'm assuming this is a software bug." I wasn't saying it was the update itself, I was saying that it was software vs. hardware. I'm not running any battery saving apps, although I guess I can't rule out an app not being 4.3 compliant as the problem, although I can't think of any apps that I have installed that would possibly prevent me from accessing the files from my computer. I tried connecting to all the different usb ports on my computer, same problems. Disabled the lock screen, no changes.

When I connect the usb to the computer and have the battery settings page open it rapidly changes from connected to disconnected until it crashes. It gives me the error "Unfortunately, Settings has stopped"

Tall Mike 2145

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I think MTP doesn't work quite as well yet as the standard fashion of mounting storage as a storage device for the computer.

That being said, I haven't noticed any differences in reliability (or lack thereof) across 4.2.1, 4.2.2, and 4.3 under Lion using Android File Transfer. And I haven't noticed any changes using MTP (with 4.2.2 and 4.3) under LM 13/14 or Fedora 18/19.

oneshems1

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
I am having the same issue. Phone will charge no problem but wont connect to PC and wont show up as a device as it used too for the last year.
First time I am having this issue.
Have tried different USB cables, and also tried with a mac and "Android File Transfer" but connect.
Sometimes it randomly connects but rare and not reliable.
I've tried opening device manager as posted in other forums to uninstall the ADP or Nexus or Android device but there is none to be found there.

What to do? I dont want to try a factory reset before at least saving the files and backing up everything, but cant if no connect to PC!!!?

thanks for help in advance

sonicresidue

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I've had a similar problem that happens inconsistently. I have a Win 7 PC and connect with the supplied USB cable. Sometimes I can connect, charge, and move files just fine. Other times I will get the connect/disconnect sound repeatedly as though I am plugging in and then unplugging the device several times in a row. It happens maybe half the time and I cannot figure out why it does or does not happen. It does not matter if I do or do not have a case on the phone.

oneshems1

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I can't firgure out what to do and want to get these files off my 8GB Nexus4 (wont do that again)! :confused:
Dont know if I should just go try to find another USB cable. Does it have to be a Nexus cable you think?

Frustrated that device manager on PC doesnt show ADB or Android or Nexus anything

oneshems1

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
The issue SOLVED for me today but nothing software related. Took it to service center and they replaced the connector/port where the USB cable plugs into the phone. They mentioned something about it being 4-pin connector and that when one of the pins breaks or malfunctions that many times will no longer connect with the computer but will still be able to charge.
So they replaced it (or cleaned it or did something) and it now works! I am using the same USB cable fyi as before with 4.4 now updated and USB Debugging enabled.

Thanks all for the help!

Tall Mike 2145

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
There is nothing special about the MicroUSB port on the Nexus 4. The primary issue (other than port contamination) is support for MTP simply isn't as absolutely rock solid stable as the more traditional way we used to do it.

Moreover, it is far and away less compatible with other devices, such as car head units. I "get" why Google did this; I simply don't agree with them.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdaservices2000