Anyone leery of chinese phones given the current world situation?

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Maybe I'm a bit biased since I'm a happy and relaxed owner of a OnePlus, but ... :)

Most, if not all, threads I see about this kind of issue are from users from the United States, worried that the NSA, their own government or the "Chinese" are interested in spying them or steal their money.

All those Chinese brands are sold all around the world and they have a great community making custom ROMs and going through all the code in them. I'm pretty sure that if they could steal your money everyone would know by now. Don't you think?

I agree with you. I would have no worry using a OnePlus phone. I'm pretty sure that Google is secretly - or outwardly - collecting our information anyway. I'm very happy with the notoriety OnePlus has received over the years. :)

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
OP specifically refers to brands so that suggests OEMs to me.

Yep that's exactly right Chuck, I'm talking about Chinese OEMs that don't have the same legal or moral reasons to respect data and privacy like american or other companies that only have their hardware produced in China.

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Yep that's exactly right Chuck, I'm talking about Chinese OEMs that don't have the same legal or moral reasons to respect data and privacy like american or other companies that only have their hardware produced in China.

I don't trust American companies one bit, they rape, pillage, plunder our data like crazy. And "moral" and "companies" are mutually exclusive words.

HoosierDaddy

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
LMAO - I’m just curious since on CrackBerry, I’m used to all this. I’ve always expected the NSA funds operations through my aluminum foil purchases.
That's way too "glass half empty". I was also upset about the spying UNTIL I had a hard drive crash and was able to get a backup via a FOIA request.

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Well then if that’s how you feel, what OEM is best for you? I’ve always wanted to hear the contra-view.

Contra-view? You don't think American companies know you better than you probably know yourself? When it comes to tech, international borders are not a limiting factor.

Chuck Finley69

Trusted Member
Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
Contra-view? You don't think American companies know you better than you probably know yourself? When it comes to tech, international borders are not a limiting factor.

I'm saying, meh, and what's the alternative? I just don't think it's the huge problem that really matters in my day to day life, but tell me the OEM and OS from any country I can use instead.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wadeharper