Anyone taking theirs back?

notataloss

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
May have to return it. I have had a solid green line appear the length of the screen. I have done a battery pull several times and made two calls to VZW support. If it reappears, I am supposed to go to the VZW store for an exchange.

That said, getting my Exchange e-mail has been unsatisfactory. I have two Exchange accounts. The stock e-mail client pushes sporadically and I constantly receive "server unavailable" messages. Touchdown pushes the mail about 15 minutes after I receive it on my desktop and Touchdown only allows one "active" profile.

taylorz_412

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
May have to return it. I have had a solid green line appear the length of the screen. I have done a battery pull several times and made two calls to VZW support. If it reappears, I am supposed to go to the VZW store for an exchange.

That said, getting my Exchange e-mail has been unsatisfactory. I have two Exchange accounts. The stock e-mail client pushes sporadically and I constantly receive "server unavailable" messages. Touchdown pushes the mail about 15 minutes after I receive it on my desktop and Touchdown only allows one "active" profile.
Yeah that green line problem is no good get that thing replaced !

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

burddawg70

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Go youtube it, the verizon version has already been rooted and the software is available to do it, I watched the video the day I got mine (on the 12th)

djrakowski

Q&A Team
May 4, 2011
Visit site
I'll be keeping mine. It's the best smartphone I've ever owned. I used a RAZR MAXX before this upgrade, and it's very impressive, but overall, the S III is significantly better. I love having a faster processor, more RAM, and a better screen.

I don't expect the battery in the S III to last as long as the one in the MAXX, but even there, I've been pleasantly surprised. I've been able to make it to the end of a normal work day - about 9 hours in total - and still have 75% battery remaining with moderate use (a handful of phone calls, lots of texts, and a few Facebook and webpage lookups).

tperry

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
really thinking about taking it back and getting a new one think i might have gotten the lemon or get htc droid inc 4g lte

If they get the 32gb in stock before my 14 days are up in will be taking the 16 back and getting the 32gb version. :rolleyes:

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

WilburNJ

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
I like my S3, certainly enough to keep it after about a week of use. But, it is not perfect, at least for me. Maybe some of my little complaints are a learning curve issue, but I fear some are issues that I'll just have to live with -- as always, life is full of trade-offs, including with smartphones. My short list of complaints follows, but each kudos I'd give to various features of the S3 are collectively more valuable to me, hence my decision to keep the S3.

List of annoyances:

1. 4G/LTE radio seems worse than my Droid 4. Hard to quantify, but it seems like I spend more time waiting for sites to load on my S3 than I used to on my D4.

2. No easy 4G / 3G toggle. Sometimes, I just like to keep the D4 on 3G to conserve battery. It's a pain to change this setting with the S3 (I use an app called Phone Info, per a suggestions on this forum, but it's a multi-step process that is annoying to deal with).

3. The native music app is so slow, it's way beyond saying that it lags. Loading playlists can take a minute or more. I've never seen anything like this. The slight lag I used to experience in the D4's native music app is nothing compared to this! But, Google's "Play Music" seems okay -- just a small lag once in a while.

4. My S3 becomes unresponsive sometimes, for no apparent reason. Never had that with my D4. Haven't had to do a battery pull, but I've had to shut down/reset by holding the on/off button for a a minute or two.

5. I can't seem to access my SD card as an external drive when I connect the S3 to my Mac. Maybe I just haven't figured out how to do this yet, but my D4's memory (both internal and the SD card) would just show up as drives on my Mac when I connected via USB, which allowed for easy file management.

6. Almost comical selection of ringtones. Did samsung mean to sell this to only teenagers and bored housewives? :) I have nothing against either demographic. It's just that it's a bit uncomfortable to have a crazing ringer go off in the office....

My kudos list is quite long -- I really like this phone, more than I expected to. My most favorite features are:

1. Looks and feels great. The form factor, the metallic bumper, the while finish... and the screen is gorgeous!

2. Great camera. Probably the first camera that's about as good as my old iPhone 4s.

3. Solid battery life. Better than my D4, I think. Just ordered a second battery and an external charger, so I think I'm all set for extended use without worries.

4. Great bluetooth radio. I use a Jabra BT headphone and when I used to play music from my D4 and I left the phone in my pocket, it would frequently lose connection momentarily while walking. Not the end of the world, but a little annoying. My S3 has had that happen literally only once.

5. Solid wifi and hotspot performance. I haven't seen any wifi issues as some have experienced, and my hotspot works fine with my iPad (assuming the S3's connection to VZW's network is ok).

6. The native keyboard is pretty decent, and better than the one in my D4. Maybe that's more a function of screen size and bigger and more spread-out keys.

All in all, the positives of this phone are much, much greater than any of the little negatives I've experienced, at least to me. When the next iPhone comes out, perhaps I'll respond to that siren call, but for now, I'm a happy samy guy. :)

Reactions: my3chis

tucker973

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
It is possible, check out youtube, already rooted - i watched the video when I got mine on the 12th

Rooting through an exploit and unlocking the bootloader are two very different things. There is a method for achieving root on the phone. There is currently, however, no method to unlock the bootloader. That is what people are trying to say.

Edit: Ha! Just a few hours after I posted this, AC wrote up a great post with way more detail. Long story short, don't make yourself look like you don't know what you're talking about by saying that you can (right now) unlock the bootloader on the VZW S3.

http://www.androidcentral.com/unlocked

Last edited:

tucker973

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Only a few days in with this phone, but already love it. I'm not experiencing any of the issues people have listed. Coming off my aging Droid X, this thing is a dream. I remember being really happy with the X back in the day, but I also remember needing to take a lot of time and patience waiting for bugs and fixes - especially when we started having to install a new leaked Gingerbread build every week or two. Hell, when the thing first launched, we were installing leaked copies of Froyo.

Either way, I haven't encountered anything (knock wood) that's even a minor annoyance. The worst thing about it was the stock keyboard, but the first thing I did was install the latest Swype beta anyway as there's no way I could use anything else at this point.

Also, for users comparing signal strength by looking at 'bars' on different phones, make sure you actually look at your reported signal strength. The bars are just a visual representation that can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer, so you might be getting a -98db signal on one phone that's a "1-bar" that might be classified at a "2-bar" on another phone. It might just turn out that the signal does suck in the places you're testing, but the different phones are misleading you (see also: Apple publicly taking flak for tweaking the signal bar algorithm in response to reports of poor signal strength).

skipper2

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site

Try K9 Mail. That works great for exchange servers and you can set the frequency in which it polls for new email.

CarFan

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Newbie here - coming from an older BB Curve - I am feeling lost...
I, like many here, ordered the GS3 to keep my unlimited data plan....but am feeling buyers remorse :(
My signal strength at my house seems to fluctuate from 1x-4g (with 1-2 bars), my BBerry gets 2-3 bars and strong 3G signal, the phone feels too large in my hand and is not that comfortable to hold....I am considering returning it and have a few questions for those that have.
1-if pre-ordered online - is the 14 day return start when it was delivered?
2-if I pre-ordered online can I take it back to a Verizon store or do I have to call?
3 - Do I need to buy another phone or will they 're-activate' my old BB, and if so, will I loose unlimited data??

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

I called CS on your very questions.
1. I was told clock starts running when your phone is delivered.
2. If it was shipped to you it has to go back the same way. I was told it has something to do with seperate inventories between store and wherehouses.
3. You will not lose your unlimited data if you go back to your BB. I don't know if you can swap to another new phone. I suspect not without paying full retail to maintain unlimited data. Like you, I'm thinking of returning my S3 and going back to my 9930. S3 is a great phone,but more than a little overkill for my needs. Whatever you decide, good luck.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2

JoviFan1

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
Thanks CarFan - I returned mine via mail yesterday, yes you have to return it the way you ordered it -- went to a Verizon store on Sunday to have my old BB reactivated, which went fine except - now for the Backup Assistant I keep getting a pin error......argh -- says my pin is 'invalid', when I have the pin sent to my phone, it gives me the one I've been using....tried to set new pin, but still get old pin invalid...will have to contact Verizon about that, or maybe try uninstalling the app and reinstalling....frustrating!

I prob should have exchanged it for a new BBerry, but decided I didn't wanna make a 'rushed' decision again- have read a bunch about the Bold 9930's 'bricking'....so maybe I'll hold off and see what the next BB will be or just keep mine til it dies then figure out what's next :)

my3chis

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
now for the Backup Assistant I keep getting a pin error......argh -- says my pin is 'invalid', when I have the pin sent to my phone, it gives me the one I've been using....tried to set new pin, but still get old pin invalid...will have to contact Verizon about that, or maybe try uninstalling the app and reinstalling....frustrating!
:)

To get your back up assistant to work, you will probably have to do a hard reset. That is what I had to do when I went from my Tbolt back to my Dinc. earlier this year.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

bgl321

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
I want to but when I switched to Verizon I got the razor maxx and then traded in for the s3 so I don't know how many more trades I can do through best buy. Does anyone know?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I returned 3 phones from Jan-Mar of this year through Best Buy... dont know if they have a linit :) I don't ever buy from VZW anymore... they say you only get one return with them.

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
I returned 3 phones from Jan-Mar of this year through Best Buy... dont know if they have a linit :) I don't ever buy from VZW anymore... they say you only get one return with them.

Best Buy does have a limit. Apparently, I have long gone over that limit by so much that I was asked not to buy another phone from a particular location because I had returned so many.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD