Anyone using Hangouts for SMS instead of standard SMS app?

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I tried it for about a month and found it slow in sending txts. Now I am using EvolveSMS and it is perfect for me. Follows the Google guide lines for UI, is fast in sending txts, and works very smoothly.

Crxssroad

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
What exactly is the difference from the stock app? Apart from G+ integration and a different look, what else does it offer?

Honestly the only thing I'd be interested in is the ability to send texts as data (using my own number, not one assigned by Google) for when I'm out of an area with mobile coverage but still have access to Wi-Fi.

Sent by my lady friend, Note 3

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
What exactly is the difference from the stock app? Apart from G+ integration and a different look, what else does it offer?

Honestly the only thing I'd be interested in is the ability to send texts as data (using my own number, not one assigned by Google) for when I'm out of an area with mobile coverage but still have access to Wi-Fi.

Sent by my lady friend, Note 3

The idea is to keep your Hangouts and Texts in one application. This way you don't have to switch between applications. However, while I do like the idea, the lack of notification sounds while on a call has pushed me back to the stock texting application.

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (Verizon)

shanghaichica

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Can I use this app to send pictures (with a data connection) for free? Like what's app, imessage etc,?

If I use the default one I get charged. imessage on my ipad hasn't been working for a week now :-(

Posted from my galaxy note 3

TheJiantJon

Mar 29, 2014
Visit site
You can use SMS Popup in addition. It now works with Hangouts and lets you choose custom tones/LED/Vibrations for each contact. I personally turned off the notifications for SMS in Hangouts so that I wouldn't get double notified, but that's just me.

TheJiantJon

Mar 29, 2014
Visit site
If Hangouts had custom tones for individual contacts I'd use it, since it doesn't, I'm using Chomp.

You can use SMS Popup in addition. It now works with Hangouts and lets you choose custom tones/LED/Vibrations for each contact. I personally turned off the notifications for SMS in Hangouts so that I wouldn't get double notified, but that's just me.

kw64

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
I use Textra and love it. In my opinion it is the best 3rd party messaging app available in the play store.
Textra is fast but do you know it's using a proprietary database format? So you cannot switch over to other SMS apps back and forth anytime you like. You'll see different messages between Textra and other regular SMS apps.

I was worried about backup issue. I supposed a normal backup app will not backup Textra's copy of the messages. That's why I stopped using it.

yogi2000#AC

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I found that Hangouts sometimes wouldn't display picture messages properly... Especially if someone sent me a succession of pics, it would maybe only display the first one, or something like that. I had to go back to the Touchwiz Messaging, which I actually like

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Textra is fast but do you know it's using a proprietary database format? So you cannot switch over to other SMS apps back and forth anytime you like. You'll see different messages between Textra and other regular SMS apps.

I was worried about backup issue. I supposed a normal backup app will not backup Textra's copy of the messages. That's why I stopped using it.

Try ChompSMS... Made by the textra people and it doesn't effect the other text apps. I can go to the stock app and it works fine.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

boudicca00

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
Try ChompSMS... Made by the textra people and it doesn't effect the other text apps. I can go to the stock app and it works fine.

The tech support folk for Chomp have been really helpful and responsive to a bug I found, too.

tifftam8414

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
I just switched to hangout but the lack of a notification icon is about to send me back to the stock messaging app.

Posted via Android Central App

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Really? For SMS messages? I did a Google search and found a lot of people not getting a notification....hmmm...I'll have to do more digging.

You ensured notifications are on for SMS and not just hangout messages?

Attachments

• 1396369241526.jpg
    1396369241526.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 52

tifftam8414

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
Yep. I get the notification is the notification bar....what I'm looking for is the little indicator that tells me how many unopened messages I have...you know the little orange circle with the number in it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onais