Anyone using Hangouts for SMS instead of standard SMS app?

JM4G1C

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I've been using it for about a week and I've been pleased. While there is a lot of consternation about the lack of true "unified" messaging a la iMessage, it's nice to have SMS/Hangout chats in one spot since I use them both. I find MMS and SMS work very well, over standard data connnection and wifi, whereas with the stock app and others (GoSMS, ChompSMS, etc) I'd have issues with sending MMS via wifi. I'm currently using a Droid Razr Maxx HD... not sure if it's a unique issue to me, or the device, but Hangouts SMS integration has seemed to solve that. My Note 3 will be delivered today, so excited to join you guys in that regard!

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I used on for 5 mins before I turned it off. Not that great.

THE BEAST,,NOTE 3. SIZE IS EVERYTHING!!!

joshwithachance

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
I love the Hangouts app for SMS! I love the way it displays photos and YouTube links when texting. I just wish it turned on the screen when receiving a notification.

boudicca00

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
It seemed okay, initially, then a day or two later, someone tried to send me an image, and the text never got to me. I unlinked the texting to go thru Hangouts, rebooted, and the backed-up texts with images went thru.

So I'm back to the stock texter.

Nibs

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I like the new hangouts, I just wish there was a way to change or dim the white background. It's a little too "up in your face" white.

NickinVA

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm waiting for Google voice messaging to be included. And waiting... And waiting... And waiting... :)

Sent from my enormous Note 3 via Tapatalk.

fantom305

May 21, 2011
Visit site
There's no cons only pros. It basically does the same as default SMS app only that its integrated with G+

Sent from my SM-N900 using Tapatalk
Well I will say it is a matter or opinion as far as the cons are concern..... for people that likes G+ I guess it is ..... For me.... since I don't like G+, I don't see the plus.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I like the look. I do. Feels industrial. But like others have stated, it's cluttered. Besides, I don't use G+ so it's a whatever issue with me. I'll keep using stock as it does what I need it to do when I need it to do it.

fig95

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Anyone have Voicemail Notification texts when using Hangouts for SMS? When I use the stock app I do not get these texts.

Posted via Android Central App

alexlam24

Banned
Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
I use hangouts, but it does randomly crash every once in a while. That's my only complaint and it also does have a slight amount of lag. I guess dual core doesn't work.

Sent from HTC Note Ultra Pro on T-Mobile

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
I just found out that Notifier Pro works if you want pop-ups. The downside is that there's no way to separate regular hangout messages from SMS.

cordoni

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Went back to Textra, the new version of Chomp SMS.

I agree with others, Hangouts is cluttered and lacks a lot of the features that many third party sms apps have, ie: notification light color change, pop-ups, quick reply, auto download photos to gallery, etc.

I also could not figure out how to attach pictures. I have been using computers for over 20 years, and use mobile daily in my job, so if I find it complicated and confusing then it just might be.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Went back to Textra, the new version of Chomp SMS.

I agree with others, Hangouts is cluttered and lacks a lot of the features that many third party sms apps have, ie: notification light color change, pop-ups, quick reply, auto download photos to gallery, etc.

I also could not figure out how to attach pictures. I have been using computers for over 20 years, and use mobile daily in my job, so if I find it complicated and confusing then it just might be.

Try the little camera icon in the bottom right corner.

Yeah it's a camera icon.. How hard can it get? :what:

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raykv23