Apple vs android

Anonymous7532479

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
I love Android but I spend most of my time on the iPhone 5. Android is great, but with so many ways to customize your phone, you open up the risk of messing up your battery life.

For your average consumer, I think the simplicity if iOS is perfect.

That being said, I'm waiting for the S4 and HTC One to drop on Verizon. I'm more leaning towards the S4 because my experience with HTC and battery life has been a nightmare. I also wasn't thrilled about how the One felt in my hand. The corners are sharper and the height made it hard to reach the top of the screen with one hand. Being able to hold and type with just one hand is important me for personally.

But I'll wait until I get to spend some time on both before I decide.

SteveL

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Before I got my first smartphone, I owned an iPod Touch for about a year, and I have to say that the worst part of that experience for me was having to deal with iTunes. I hated that it took half a minute to load, I hated that it insisted on opening every time I clicked on an app link in my browser, I hated that it always ripped my music into some weird proprietary format, and I hated that it insisted on adding every random sound file I tried to listen to to my music library. Uninstalling iTunes was probably one of the most satisfying things I've ever done. I'm much happier with Google Music. On my desktop, which is connected to the internet at all times, I can easily stream my music and the experience isn't much different from using a local music program with a local music collection. On my phone, I've told Google Music to store all of my "thumbs up" tracks locally so that in the few cases where I can't stream, I have the essentials with me.

I'll admit I've never used ios, but I did use iTunes for the longest time. I used to love it, now I hate it. It just got so bloated over time. The one thing I miss is the smart playlists. When I got my first smartphone I was willing to give them up to not use iTunes. Can ios manage smart playlists without syncing with iTunes?

rootyourphones

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
This is a dead thread but on that note I still prefer ios over android cause it makes my life 10 times easier don't have to kill apps all the time ,and watch my battery usage. Also compatibility apps too but android has its perks to add more useless features to kill more battery life soon we will see 6000mah as standard battery and 7gb operating system just to run it I mean right now my s4 is at 3gb with all preloaded bloatware.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
This is a dead thread but on that note I still prefer ios over android cause it makes my life 10 times easier don't have to kill apps all the time ,and watch my battery usage. Also compatibility apps too but android has its perks to add more useless features to kill more battery life soon we will see 6000mah as standard battery and 7gb operating system just to run it I mean right now my s4 is at 3gb with all preloaded bloatware.

Why do you need to kill apps?

The WheelMan

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
Well... the thing that I miss (being a recent switcher)... is the SIMPLISTIC way iOS works. I would never recommend Android to my mom. iPhone's out of the box work better than Andriod phones IMHO...

My 71-year-old father just got his first Android (a Samsung Nexus), and he doesn't know how to work everything yet, but he loves playing with it and had no trouble operating it out of the box. I'm sure he's have done just as well with an iPhone, but I don't know that Android is really all that more complicated unless you start trying to do more complicated things with it. That surprised me, and when I got to see how polished Android was, it made me finally go ahead and get my S3 instead of an iPhone 5.

adriandb

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
So I shouldn't use stock task manager huh really so I should let eat my memory and lag all over place just like htc phones lmao
I can't speak for any other HTC phones, but my One has zero lag. If you think a system runs better with free RAM then you don't fully understand the point of RAM. Any RAM that isn't in use is wasted. Any modern OS will know when it needs more RAM and will dump out what it no longer needs. Keeping your RAM in use keeps your system from reading from disk.

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
What stock task manager? You mean recent events list? It doesn't stop tasks, just removes from list.

The way android works, you don't need to kill tasks/services unless they are badly coded. In that case, identify them with something like watchdog and uninstall them if you can.

Killing apps off can waste more battery and processor cycles because when you open them again they have to reload into memory - where you just took them out of. Android kills apps when it needs memory, so you don't need to worry about freeing up memory manually. Empty memory is a wasted resource. Reasonably full memory saves battery and makes the device respond more quickly.

rootyourphones

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
What stock task manager? You mean recent events list? It doesn't stop tasks, just removes from list.

The way android works, you don't need to kill tasks/services unless they are badly coded. In that case, identify them with something like watchdog and uninstall them if you can.

Killing apps off can waste more battery and processor cycles because when you open them again they have to reload into memory - where you just took them out of. Android kills apps when it needs memory, so you don't need to worry about freeing up memory manually. Empty memory is a wasted resource. Reasonably full memory saves battery and makes the device respond more quickly.

Wow really lmao all of my phones run good when apps are killed and not reopen all the time if think useing more ram on unwanted apps running makes it faster then your out of your mind.i only have 64mb of ram left its slowing my phone down alot I can barely go into facebook .hell I can barely type on this without freezing or lagging.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
So I shouldn't use stock task manager huh really so I should let eat my memory and lag all over place just like htc phones lmao

Yeah you shouldn't use stock task manager it is there for trouble shooting and rogue applications. Not to be sitting down tasks constantly, this can cause more lag than had you not used it. Android is a linux based and manages memory differently. Its like comparing a a standard engine to a rotary engine. They do the same things but in different ways.

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

rootyourphones

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
vy9yny7y.jpg

This is everyday im always running out of ram to run other apps without lagging or force closing on me.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/05/05/vy9yny7y.jpg

This is everyday im always running out of ram to run other apps without lagging or force closing on me.

I would evaluate your apps and see what app is causing the problem. I have the same device with no lag at all.

Edit. ..I have the note 2. But still principle remains

rootyourphones

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
I would evaluate your apps and see what app is causing the problem. I have the same device with no lag at all.

Edit. ..I have the note 2. But still principle remains

My note 2 is perfect im considering useing it again. I think when they unlock the bootloader itll be fixed.

adriandb

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Wow really lmao all of my phones run good when apps are killed and not reopen all the time if think useing more ram on unwanted apps running makes it faster then your out of your mind.i only have 64mb of ram left its slowing my phone down alot I can barely go into facebook .hell I can barely type on this without freezing or lagging.
Then you have an app or two that are misbehaving. You would be better off trying to figure out what they are and get rid of them than constantly closing apps. In general, your phone will run its fastest when your most commonly used apps are allowed to hold all the available RAM.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dennis Anderson Julien