Apple vs android

Jakiro201

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
I like the iOS because it's simple to use which I think it's just because I need time to adapt to Android. Also there are more games and apps on iOS which is why I still keep my iPad.

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Until last night I would have told you the lockscreen was a huge issue for me on Android. On a jailbroked iOS device I could install LockInfo and have everything I need to see right there. I had a really hard time finding anything similar on Android. Last night I discovered Executive Assistant + which solves this problem for me.

You have heard of widgetlocker right?

A little more on topic. I don't know why we go on about this incessantly. Just like the days of Mac Vs Windows(not PC because they're both PCs), sometimes you feel like a nut and other times you buy a Windows based PC. I could give you 900 reasons why Linux is better than Windows or Mac OSX. Problem is that if you're a gamer, they're all invalid because OSX and Windows have better game and video card support than Linux. So who's right?

Same argument applies to iOS and Android. It's a personal opinion, hopefully made by what works better for you rather than blind ignorance and marketing campaigns.

dc9super80

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
Depends on what you need. I am very busy, I don?t have time to customize and configure. I just need my phone to work well at all times. The iPhone is the only one so far that has been able to do that. I t just works. I have a fantastic collection of apps, that I use. On Android I spent more times moving things around and trying things because it never felt perfect. Since iOS doesn?t allow me to do that, I simply enjoy apps. Which is what your smartphone should be about anyhow. I still have alot of stuff with Google but they are making that easier these days. I sold my iPad and plan to get a "new" Nexus7 should it come out. The two OSs are different, very different, but both very valid options. If I had to recommend a smartphone to a typical person who would not want to do the things you mentioned, the iPhone wins.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Depends on what you need. I am very busy, I don?t have time to customize and configure. I just need my phone to work well at all times. The iPhone is the only one so far that has been able to do that. I t just works. I have a fantastic collection of apps, that I use. On Android I spent more times moving things around and trying things because it never felt perfect. Since iOS doesn?t allow me to do that, I simply enjoy apps. .
I see the merit in this argument. Its kind of like school uniforms. If everyone had to wear the same thing everyday you don't have to worry about what you are going to wear.

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

sinister one

May 3, 2013
Visit site
Or spend half the money and get a Nexus 4 that just works as well. Will be interesting to see what iOS7 brings and how the iPhone fans take to it.

barkomatic

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
iOS is indeed boring and doesn't offer the customization and functionality that Android does. Hopefully, Apple will catch up a little with iOS7 but that consumer release is pretty far off still (maybe September) and the expectations are so high that I'm not sure Apple can meet them in one major update. Android has a more slick, modern, and dare I say "adult" look to it.

However, I will say that apps tend to run better on iOS and get updated more frequently.

I'd also say that Apple handles locally stored music and movies much better than the drag and drop experience on Android. The third party apps like double twist are ok but it would be better if I could build playlists and manage media content on some Google version of iTunes that doesn't expect me to stream everything from the cloud. I still don't get why they push that so hard.

mayconvert

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
So my wife decided to get an iPhone 5 and I have been playing around with it while my HTC one is on backorder. I have never messed around with an iPhone before. I don't understand why people love them so much.
1 I can't Bluetooth anything to it.
2 it doesn't have an app draw
3 have yet to find a way to toggle b/t open apps.
4 zero customization
5 no widgets
6 it seems rather boring and plain.

Just my opinion

Ready to upgrade my Samsung nexus to HTC one and hope HTC can become profitable. Hell HTC and palm treo started smartphones how did they get behind the ball...
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

it's all about needs / wants. Both OS's have much to offer. Both have strengths and weaknesses.
iOS my not have the same customization but it has a lot to offer in other ways.
iOS has visual voicemail baked into the OS, no need for google voice or any other non stand app you have to find for android.
iOS is generally easy to use out of the box. 1 acct needed system wide. (apple ID) Samsung's new EZ Mode rocks for old folks like my dad who still has never used a smart phone.
iOS email client is also part of the core OS and works with every kind of email. Exchange, IMAP, POP, Push/Fetch etc. all in One app, not 2-3 separate email apps.
"sometimes" (not always) apps can be a little higher quality on iOS because developers only have to make it for One OS not 5. Hell, iOS got google Chrome before android did lol
iOS keyboard and autocorrect (to me) is among the best of the best.
iOS is Always up to date, because Apple took the carrier out of the picture. No need for a new phone or waiting 6-12 months if you want the latest software.
Siri (much like S-voice) is amazing since its baked into the OS and function throughout the software.
iOS does have Pages, Keynote, and Numbers (apples version of microsoft office) and they are very good programs, you can even convert and send them As Microsoft documents. (.doc, .ppt. etc) This can be very helpful for people who aren't using their phones for Angry birds 90% of the time. Its a True Productive suite that works Very well.
Facebook and Twitter are baked into the OS as well, for system wide sharing. No need to copy a link from browser and paste it into a Facebook/Twitter status.
iCloud is a full cloud back up and restore service that is also baked into iOS.
Battery life is usually much better on iPhone.
iOS is more "refined" imo. Simply because it doesn't have to work on 1000000 different devices with 10000000 different specs.
But...
Android has Widgets, ROMs, and a lot more ways to customize everything to "look" a certain way.
Jelly Bean has come a long ways and is much better than any of the older android OS's.
More phone choices, sizes, colors, etc.

I am about to give android a whirl.... 12 days til upgrade is available... I am keeping my iPhone tho. I will just run with 2 devices until I am sure android can meet my expectations.
still cant decide between HTC One (screen is beautiful) and the S4... I might just have the att rep hold both, blind fold me and do the enie, meanie, miny, mo system..... (have no idea if thats how you spell enie, meanie, miny LOL)

yuiness

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I'd also say that Apple handles locally stored music and movies much better than the drag and drop experience on Android. The third party apps like double twist are ok but it would be better if I could build playlists and manage media content on some Google version of iTunes that doesn't expect me to stream everything from the cloud. I still don't get why they push that so hard.

Before I got my first smartphone, I owned an iPod Touch for about a year, and I have to say that the worst part of that experience for me was having to deal with iTunes. I hated that it took half a minute to load, I hated that it insisted on opening every time I clicked on an app link in my browser, I hated that it always ripped my music into some weird proprietary format, and I hated that it insisted on adding every random sound file I tried to listen to to my music library. Uninstalling iTunes was probably one of the most satisfying things I've ever done. I'm much happier with Google Music. On my desktop, which is connected to the internet at all times, I can easily stream my music and the experience isn't much different from using a local music program with a local music collection. On my phone, I've told Google Music to store all of my "thumbs up" tracks locally so that in the few cases where I can't stream, I have the essentials with me.

dc9super80

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
Before I got my first smartphone, I owned an iPod Touch for about a year, and I have to say that the worst part of that experience for me was having to deal with iTunes. I hated that it took half a minute to load, I hated that it insisted on opening every time I clicked on an app link in my browser, I hated that it always ripped my music into some weird proprietary format, and I hated that it insisted on adding every random sound file I tried to listen to to my music library. Uninstalling iTunes was probably one of the most satisfying things I've ever done. I'm much happier with Google Music. On my desktop, which is connected to the internet at all times, I can easily stream my music and the experience isn't much different from using a local music program with a local music collection. On my phone, I've told Google Music to store all of my "thumbs up" tracks locally so that in the few cases where I can't stream, I have the essentials with me.

You don't have to use iTunes, but you want to burn and copy music you can simply choose the file format you want. ACC is awesome but many continue using MP3. So just change in preferences.

If you don't want iTunes to automatically add files select that option.

You can also stream your music collection. I do so from my phone and Apple TV with no problems.

The problems you mentioned aren't problems and an android loving guy like you should easily get around those settings preference.

So maybe you don't like Apple or iTunes because you simply don't like it.

I simply can't decide which platform I prefer.

Erik Pendleton

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
it's all about needs / wants. Both OS's have much to offer. Both have strengths and weaknesses.
iOS my not have the same customization but it has a lot to offer in other ways.
iOS has visual voicemail baked into the OS, no need for google voice or any other non stand app you have to find for android.
iOS is generally easy to use out of the box. 1 acct needed system wide. (apple ID) Samsung's new EZ Mode rocks for old folks like my dad who still has never used a smart phone.
iOS email client is also part of the core OS and works with every kind of email. Exchange, IMAP, POP, Push/Fetch etc. all in One app, not 2-3 separate email apps.
"sometimes" (not always) apps can be a little higher quality on iOS because developers only have to make it for One OS not 5. Hell, iOS got google Chrome before android did lol
iOS keyboard and autocorrect (to me) is among the best of the best.
iOS is Always up to date, because Apple took the carrier out of the picture. No need for a new phone or waiting 6-12 months if you want the latest software.
Siri (much like S-voice) is amazing since its baked into the OS and function throughout the software.
iOS does have Pages, Keynote, and Numbers (apples version of microsoft office) and they are very good programs, you can even convert and send them As Microsoft documents. (.doc, .ppt. etc) This can be very helpful for people who aren't using their phones for Angry birds 90% of the time. Its a True Productive suite that works Very well.
Facebook and Twitter are baked into the OS as well, for system wide sharing. No need to copy a link from browser and paste it into a Facebook/Twitter status.
iCloud is a full cloud back up and restore service that is also baked into iOS.
Battery life is usually much better on iPhone.
iOS is more "refined" imo. Simply because it doesn't have to work on 1000000 different devices with 10000000 different specs.
But...
Android has Widgets, ROMs, and a lot more ways to customize everything to "look" a certain way.
Jelly Bean has come a long ways and is much better than any of the older android OS's.
More phone choices, sizes, colors, etc.

I am about to give android a whirl.... 12 days til upgrade is available... I am keeping my iPhone tho. I will just run with 2 devices until I am sure android can meet my expectations.
still cant decide between HTC One (screen is beautiful) and the S4... I might just have the att rep hold both, blind fold me and do the enie, meanie, miny, mo system..... (have no idea if thats how you spell enie, meanie, miny LOL)

Sounds like you will be surprised by Android. Android does all this stuff, and does it better. You can share in android to way beyond just facebook and twitter, and those abilities came to iOS as an attempt to catch up. iOS is much more app centric with much less interaction across the platform. And android has office suites as well.

yuiness

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
You don't have to use iTunes, but you want to burn and copy music you can simply choose the file format you want. ACC is awesome but many continue using MP3. So just change in preferences.

If you don't want iTunes to automatically add files select that option.

You can also stream your music collection. I do so from my phone and Apple TV with no problems.

The problems you mentioned aren't problems and an android loving guy like you should easily get around those settings preference.

So maybe you don't like Apple or iTunes because you simply don't like it.

I simply can't decide which platform I prefer.

It has been several years since I last tried to use iTunes, so I admit that things may be different now. However, I just find it much easier to open my browser window to listen to my music, rather than bog computer down with a dedicated program. I don't use other Apple products either, so it may be that it didn't integrate as well with my other equipment (Windows PC, a "dumb" TV, etc.). Also, I like having the option of just dragging and dropping my music into my phone's storage. I didn't mean to bash Apple or anything, and I actually didn't mind iOS when I used it. It's actually just iTunes that always rubbed me the wrong way.

Not to be petty, but... for the record, I'm a girl.

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
It has been several years since I last tried to use iTunes, so I admit that things may be different now. However, I just find it much easier to open my browser window to listen to my music, rather than bog computer down with a dedicated program. I don't use other Apple products either, so it may be that it didn't integrate as well with my other equipment (Windows PC, a "dumb" TV, etc.). Also, I like having the option of just dragging and dropping my music into my phone's storage. I didn't mean to bash Apple or anything, and I actually didn't mind iOS when I used it. It's actually just iTunes that always rubbed me the wrong way.

Not to be petty, but... for the record, I'm a girl.

Drag and drop seems the better option.

mayconvert

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
Sounds like you will be surprised by Android. Android does all this stuff, and does it better. You can share in android to way beyond just facebook and twitter, and those abilities came to iOS as an attempt to catch up. iOS is much more app centric with much less interaction across the platform. And android has office suites as well.

I am sure android will be fun tinkering with but I'm not sure I would agree 100% there.
Android will take me 3-5 email clients to get all my email. There is no system wide Native email client.
Visual Voice Mail is a big deal to me, I don't want to dial into some service and have to listen to them in order to get to the one I Want to hear.

I'm actually worried enough that I am no longer going to sell my iPhone, I am simply adding the S4 as a 2nd device.
But, I am going to make sure that I try new way of doing things and try to think outside the box to make it work.
I can't really judge android unless I give it a Fair chance and not just dismiss it because it doesn't have iCloud.

The good news is, I have decided that S4 will be my first android device. I want 4.2.2 out of the box, don't feel like waiting 6-12 months for HTC to get it.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I am sure android will be fun tinkering with but I'm not sure I would agree 100% there.
Android will take me 3-5 email clients to get all my email. There is no system wide Native email client.
Visual Voice Mail is a big deal to me, I don't want to dial into some service and have to listen to them in order to get to the one I Want to hear.

I'm actually worried enough that I am no longer going to sell my iPhone, I am simply adding the S4 as a 2nd device.
But, I am going to make sure that I try new way of doing things and try to think outside the box to make it work.
I can't really judge android unless I give it a Fair chance and not just dismiss it because it doesn't have iCloud.

The good news is, I have decided that S4 will be my first android device. I want 4.2.2 out of the box, don't feel like waiting 6-12 months for HTC to get it.

I'm not sure if TouchWiz is lacking an e-mail client, but stock Android does have two separate apps; one is for GMail only and one is for aggregating all e-mail.

Visual Voicemail through Google Voice is free and easy to set up; transcripts of my voice-mails are available in the app and e-mailed directly to me. I've honestly never opened up the app; e-mail is better. This includes a link to listen to the voice-mail if you want. I've never called my voice-mail; honestly don't know how it works. iCloud in Android is called Google, although it currently does lack the support of backing up specific app data and settings. The next best option seems to be Carbon, etc. for full system backup functionality.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
The last ios device I used was an iPhone 3gs, and while it did its job, it was outdated when I recieved it, and I switched from android, to ios, and ultimately, back to android. That being said, I believe that people buy apple products because they know they will work as they should, out of the box. And if they don't, apple has such an extensive customer service base, that you will have your problem solved and not be left hanging waiting for a resolution. Parts for iPhone's are a dime a dozen, making them easy to purchase should you break your phone in any way, and the form factor has remained relatively the same over the last six or so years. Its like returning to a place you grew up in, or fondling an old blanket you used as a child. It holds a sense of comforting familiarity. IPhone's do what they are expected to do, nothing more, nothing less. And there is no shame in that. Some people like being able to pick up their phone, press a button, and bam, they accomplish what they wanted. Others like going through system files, making tweaks here and there, and customizing their phones very similarly to the way you would your desktop. Folders, wallpapers, docks, icons, gestures, skins, widgets. There is no shame in that either. That is the beauty of today's technical market. There's a little bit of everything for everyone.

Sent from my Verizon Droid DNA

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site

Have you investigated using gmail for you multiple emails, or K-9? Google voice provides visual voicemail. "Baked in" or not doesn't seem relevant as it just works and is "baked in" to the google ecosystem. iOS keyboard may be "among the best" but not I think swiftkey or another some such is better, and you will too.

I am not sure from your comments if you just don't know what is available on Android or if you have truly investigated it and found some issues. If there are truly issues, I'd like to hear more about them, as typically I have found that somewhere there is a solution. There are just too many developers working on android not to resolve true issues if they exist. In any case, I have seen many iOS users that become frustrated because some feature of android doesn't work the way they have become accustomed to in iOS, which is somewhat understandable, everyone likes what is familiar, but it is like breaking through a wall. Once you get it, you get it. You now have almost full control of your device. This can sometimes be too much for those that have become conformed to what apple has forced upon them for so long.

yuiness

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site

The native email client on the One can have multiple email accounts and supports Exchange, Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail, and IMAP/POP3.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cottoneyejoe