Apple's injunction on the Nexus; UN hosting mobile patent talks.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
That's awesome. Karma is a . Maybe Siri Inc sold to Apple knowing this was gonna happen. Took their money and ran... DEATH TO APPLE

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

Somebody needs to get a hobby...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Me? Why so? Cuz i tell it how it is?

More like you take this way too seriously. Apple has done nothing to harm you. Wishing 'death' to them would put tens of thousands of people out of work, and have a ripple effect with other suppliers and manufacturers as well. Saying 'death to apple' doesn't add anything meaningful to the conversation.

Last edited:

Speedygi

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Haha I don't understand why there must be a shipping delay for Galaxy Nexii sold from the Play Store... Stupidest ruling I have heard yet.

kgk1985

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
More like you take this way too seriously. Apple has done nothing to harm you. Wishing 'death' to them would put tens of thousands of people out of work, and have a ripple effect with other suppliers and manufacturers as well. Saying 'death to apple' doesn't add anything meaningful to the conversation.

Haha. Sounds like you are the one who takes it too seriously bro. I was just messing around. Loosen your panties a tad

TomD

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Re: Apple's injunction on the Nexus; UN hosting mobile patent tal

Apple is headed down the slippery slope to litigate not innovate.

Apple's hypocrisy is pretty amazing. They are infringing on Palm's original smart phone patent for the Treo. They are not outraged by stealing Palm's IP. Seems that companies who's egos get to big are doomed. So long Apple, we hardly knew you.

They will wind up like Microsoft. After Bill Gates was on the nightly news for weeks giving non answers to the federal investigations into Microsoft's shenanigans, the prestige of Microsoft plummeted. Microsoft is no longer the place programmers dream of working for.

Apple will soon loose its stellar public image as well.

Its a shame, I like competition. It will take a while, but the decline of Apple will come, unless they get rid of this terminal case of stupid.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

Somebody needs to get a hobby...

Me? Why so? Cuz i tell it how it is?

Let's try to keep some level of civility with this discussion. This is a great thread and discussion and there is absolutely no need to get personal.

Reactions: zkSharks

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Apple is headed down the slippery slope to litigate not innovate.

Apple's hypocrisy is pretty amazing. They are infringing on Palm's original smart phone patent for the Treo. They are not outraged by stealing Palm's IP. Seems that companies who's egos get to big are doomed. So long Apple, we hardly knew you.

They will wind up like Microsoft. After Bill Gates was on the nightly news for weeks giving non answers to the federal investigations into Microsoft's shenanigans, the prestige of Microsoft plummeted. Microsoft is no longer the place programmers dream of working for.

Apple will soon loose its stellar public image as well.

Its a shame, I like competition. It will take a while, but the decline of Apple will come, unless they get rid of this terminal case of stupid.

Care to cite said 'palm smartphone patent'?

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site

Care to cite said 'palm smartphone patent'?

I believe he's referring to US Patent #8,082,523 . The patent is described as follows:

Portable electronic device with graphical user interface supporting application switching

A portable electronic device displays, on a touch screen display, a user interface for a phone application during a phone call. In response to detecting activation of a menu icon or menu button, the UI for the phone application is replaced with a menu of application icons, while maintaining the phone call. In response to detecting a finger gesture on a non-telephone service application icon, displaying a user interface for the non-telephone service application while continuing to maintain the phone call, the UI for the non-telephone service application including a switch application icon that is not displayed in the UI when there is no ongoing phone call. In response to detecting a finger gesture on the switch application icon, replacing display of the UI for the non-telephone service application with a respective UI for the phone application while continuing to maintain the phone call.

TL;DR: Pressing a menu icon/button while in a phone call presents a screen of application icons (home button, launcher/app drawer). A touch gesture on an icon opens said non-dialer/phone application and interaction with that app may ensue without disrupting the phone call.

Now, ignore for a minute that this patent could arguably encompass all homescreen/launcher/app drawer use while on the phone, which I do all the time on my Nexus. Palm had this functionality back in the Treo, which can be found in the Treo 600's User Guide in the sidebar of page 43.

I do not know whether Palm has a patent on this functionality or not, however a key component of receiving a patent is Prior art:

Prior art [...] in most systems of patent law, constitutes all information that has been made available to the public in any form before a given date that might be relevant to a patent's claims of originality. If an invention has been described in the prior art, a patent on that invention is not valid.

Emphasis added.

Reactions: jroc and TomD

cbbartley

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site

And that's the problem. Every gov position should have term limits. Too many do what's best for them not us. And a judge that's 85 years old can't understand today's tech and how apples is not worlds developer like apple claims....

Sent from my Jellybeaned Gnex

That's a slippery slope in and of itself. A federal judge's term is lifelong to avoid political and other outside pressures from being able to influence a judge's decision. We do have a failure on older judge's part to keep up with current technology. It just behooves me how these old dudes are appointed to the technical division in the first place when it has been clear that so many of them never had an interest in the first place.

cbbartley

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site

Yup. They can now sue Google for Glass and they don't even have a product yet. It's Google's fault though. They should have patented the tech when they thought of it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

They would have to establish controversy before trying to sue over this. Can't be done without a product based on this tech or else their suit would be deemed preemptive thus giving reason for dismissal. Just read up on Xerox vs Apple.

georgeanderson

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site

I'm with Jerry in that Google had multiple search results from a single interface with Google desktop years ago. And since the older tablets were all windows, you could put Desktop on your tablet, thus making it mobile.
PRIOR ART.
This patent needs to be invalidated.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm with Jerry in that Google had multiple search results from a single interface with Google desktop years ago. And since the older tablets were all windows, you could put Desktop on your tablet, thus making it mobile.
PRIOR ART.

Apples patent was filed before Google desktop existed.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
They would have to establish controversy before trying to sue over this. Can't be done without a product based on this tech or else their suit would be deemed preemptive thus giving reason for dismissal. Just read up on Xerox vs Apple.

That and what apple patented is very, very different.

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site

PRIOR ART.

Ready for some more prior art:

Copernic Desktop Search - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copernic

I would like to see this explained away......The actual website has a copyright from 1996 - 2012... I guess Apples search patent pre dates this too....

Last edited:

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Ready for some more prior art:

Copernic Desktop Search - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copernic

I would like to see this explained away......The actual website has a copyright from 1996 - 2012... I guess Apples search patent pre dates this too....

Still not prior art. Apples patent searches multiple separate sources for its data. That one only searches the local source.

The verbiage of the patent is important when looking at prior art.

ItnStln

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Apple is the ORIGINAL rippers of others ideas. They championed it in the early days (late seventies & early eighties). I find it laughable to see them now belly B***hing about Google and almost everyone else for doing what Apple did 30 years ago.

It's innovating, and we all benefit when everyone competes for our attention!

Apple should probably find the door to these legal situation before they find themselves on the other side of the PR fence, the bad side of the PR fence that is.

Very true! And didn't BlackBerry and Android have universal search before Apple?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site

Still not prior art. Apples patent searches multiple separate sources for its data. That one only searches the local source.

The verbiage of the patent is important when looking at prior art.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Copernic_Desktop_Search_screenshot.png

See beside 11 matching documents...."more on the web"

See that first 2 tabs at the top...the Web and All.

Alot of things are important with these patents when it involves Apple. Like the article about them sending cease and desist letters to retailers about the Galaxy Tab and G Nex. Wonder if Apple sent a revised letter after Samsung appealed the G Nex....

http://www.theverge.com/2012/7/13/3157505/apple-retailer-galaxy-nexus-tab-10-1-takedown-order

I never asked this: why not go after Google and Copernic waaaay back then? Apple is so innovative with products and patents.....yet they have a lazy legal team? Yea....alot of things are important with these patents when it involves Apple.

Last edited:

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site

No, but Palm did on the Pre.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

What? You dont say....lets see if Apple files a lawsuit against Palm... Let me take a guess... Palm isnt selling like it used to....so they dont care about protecting their patents when it comes to Palm...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ukfred