Are all photons affected by the Sleep of death and random reboot?

Herk_FE

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
My wonderful new phone is plagued by both of these issues and I am curious if taking it to the store to get a refurb unit improves my chances of getting a better phone.

I really like the Photon but these reboots are very troubling.

dorelse

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Re: Are all photons affected by the Sleep of death and random reb

I can tell you, honestly, that I have had 1 random reboot since I purchased mine the first week in Oct. That reboot was prior to the last update from Moto...since that, never had 1 issue.

I'm completely stock...no rooting, etc, and I don't reboot my phone either.

Extremely happy with the reliability of my Photon.

The only issue I have is that sometimes the FM Radio doesn't start properly. I have to completely reboot my phone in order for it to work properly again, but not always, sometimes I can just restart the Music app and relaunch it. That would be the only time I reboot the phone. So...I probably have to reboot 1 or 2x's a month.

japark

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site

No problem here.

I only wish there were a way to auto-reboot without rooting the phone.
I do reboot everyday on the premise that all computers work better if periodically rebooted.

ronald600

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site

My wonderful new phone is plagued by both of these issues and I am curious if taking it to the store to get a refurb unit improves my chances of getting a better phone.

I really like the Photon but these reboots are very troubling.

I would say no.
The only issue I have had is that I lost volume after the last update. It took me a while to figure out what it was since my phone is on vibrate most of the time. I couldnt hear the alarm so I took it to the sprint store yesterday. They did not give me a refurb phone. They gave me a brand new phone.

What I can say for sure is that Sprint is aware that they had an update with issues that causes problems with some phones. The problems ranged from random reboots to loss of volume to in a couple of instances a bricked phone.
Sprint has been proactive and just swapped out the phones.

The only way you get a refurb phone is if you physically damage or loose the phone and assurian has to get involved

Reactions: Herk_FE

Herk_FE

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site

I would say no.
The only issue I have had is that I lost volume after the last update. It took me a while to figure out what it was since my phone is on vibrate most of the time. I couldnt hear the alarm so I took it to the sprint store yesterday. They did not give me a refurb phone. They gave me a brand new phone.

What I can say for sure is that Sprint is aware that they had an update with issues that causes problems with some phones. The problems ranged from random reboots to loss of volume to in a couple of instances a bricked phone.
Sprint has been proactive and just swapped out the phones.

The only way you get a refurb phone is if you physically damage or loose the phone and assurian has to get involved

Thanks if I can get a brand new phone out of this deal that would be amazing!!!

dorelse

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site

I actually just saw that list yesterday...and although I run Launcher 7, its a list I'll check back on often going forward.

I also only install 1 app a day just to make sure I can identify any apps that start causing issues.

Good luck! I hope getting a new replacement works out.

Herk_FE

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site

Trying the battery cover tape trick to see if any improvements come from that

Verdes8891

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site

I have only every had 1 random reboot before the update that Motorola issued to fix that. Other wise, I am very happy with it.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Just echoing everyone else in that my phone never reboots. I did have one app (don't recall the app) that, when installed, caused my phone to reboot multiple times a day but that's an issue for the app developer to correct or at a minimum prevent the app from showing in the market for our device.

Good luck in the hunt to find the problematic app.

Herk_FE

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site

Got a new phone last night and have had 0 sleep of death issues and 0 random reboots so far...

kusanagi-sama

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site

Out of curiosity what apps are you running?

Currently installed:
Adobe Flash Player 11
Amazon MP3
AndChat (IRC)
Angry Birds
Angry Birds RIO
Autostarts
Advanced Task Manager Pro
ADW Launcher
Android Terminal Emulator
Battery Circle
Beautiful Widgets
Beautiful Widgets Animation Package
Drag Racing
Facebook
Fuel Log Pro
Gas Buddy
Kindle
KJV Strong's Bible
NetFlix
Opera Mobile (not Mini)
PlentyOfFish (POF)
Printer Share Premium
QR Droid
Quick Office Pro
RealCalc Plus
Root Explorer
Seesmic (for twitter)
Speedtest.net
Speed View Pro
Steam for Android
Super User Elite
TeslaLED Flashlight Donate
The Federalist Papers
The US Constitution
TuneIn Radio Pro
UStream
Yahoo Mail
Yahoo Messenger
XDA Premium
Weather Bug Elite

Last edited:

Mike77

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site

No problems with mine, best phone i have ever owned.

Wayne173

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site

Ok...can i ask a question or questions to those who have random reboot.

1. Does it happen when headphones are in use or something plugged into headphones?

2. Does the phone reboot after you leave a wifi spot with phone plugged into a an aux input.....like car audio?

The reason i asked those two questions is that mine rebooted randomly ....well alot....but i hunched up to the headphone jack since that was when it happened 90% of the time. Hasn't done it since i minimized the use of the time headphone jack. Bought a bluetooth car adapter. Well thats my case....solved for now.

Herk_FE

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site

Since i got my refurb I have had exactly 0 random reboots...its gotta be a hardware issue as software wise I am running the same things and more

nathaniz

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site

Count another with zero problems. Just got mine on Monday last week. Update dropped in as soon as it was out of the box, then I did a profile and PRL update. Running Go Launcher EX.

Cellmeister

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site

I only had the reboot issue twice since new ( I am all Stock):

- 1) Bad App, I forgot which one, but removed it was fixed

-2) Virus or malware from an email attachment. Rebooted by itself & was OK. I checked the email on my PC and it was infected email, so no longer any problem

I would start fresh again with a Full Reset, add only your Gmail account & no apps, run it for a full day and see if it happens, if it does your phone has issues. If not proceed below.

If still OK then just add one app a day and check it for a full day (yea its a pain in the arse).

Then continue & keep track of what apps you installed.

You could go back to sprint store, but they will probably just do the above again, but if it happens with only the gmail account they should replace the phone.

Also the XDA & Moto Forum and Sprint Forums has a ton of info on this, a lot to read, but that issue was suppose to have been addressed in the past updates (I assume your updated). If you got a bad update (corrupted) it may have to be updated or Re-Flashed at the sprint store.

The refurb's my friends got where like new & no issues.

I love my Stock Photon! Best phone out their in my opinion!

Good Luck.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hunterm2