Are phones getting too big?

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I think they are. It seems that what is considered "big" (but useable) for me (5.5", my G3) is considered "small" to others by today's standard. That being said, I do like the Nexus 6P; but put a Note 4, etc. in my hands and I'll be afraid to drop it. My hands are small and maneuvering my way around a device that large (height and width) would be difficult.

I suppose I could get used to a bigger device; but I think 5.5" is good for me, because it's the perfect size for Netflix viewing. My Nexus 5 was an awesome size, too (5.2"?) - it was great and could fit in my pockets. I like being able to put my phone in my purse's side zipper pocket and in my back pocket; so if the phone is enormous, I'd have trouble carrying it around. I get that not everyone thinks the way I do; but I think anything between 5.2" - 5.5" is perfect for me.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
The big phone people have had their run of the candy store for a while now, let's hope the smaller phone production is going to kick in now for those of us that have no desire to go bigger than 5.1.

4.8" please!!

Perfect analogy, and I agree with you. Big phones have had their time in the sun - let's get more phones like the Sony Xperia Compact (that is what it's called, right?)!

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
No, I prefer phones in the 5.7" - 6" range. Smartphone size hasn't really increased since the Nexus 6. We now have several Android options like the Nexus 5x, S7, HTC 10, OnePlus X, Z5 compact and Moto G for those that want a smaller phone. There's also supposed to be a smaller 2016 Nexus.

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
No, I prefer phones in the 5.7" - 6" range. Smartphone size hasn't really increased since the Nexus 6. We now have several Android options like the Nexus 5x, S7, HTC 10, OnePlus X, Z5 compact and Moto G for those that want a smaller phone. There's also supposed to be a smaller 2016 Nexus.

Those aren't small, except the Z5 Compact which isn't available in the US/Verizon. The Samsung GS3 was 4.8" (4.7"?) and it was huge for the time. Perfect size for us small phone lovers. You got plenty to choose from with the monster phones.

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Those aren't small, except the Z5 Compact which isn't available in the US/Verizon. The Samsung GS3 was 4.8" (4.7"?) and it was huge for the time. Perfect size for us small phone lovers. You got plenty to choose from with the monster phones.
Those phones are small to me. Just used my 5.2" G2 and it feels like a tiny phone made for a child. You'll probably have to settle for a 5" or 5.2" phone unless you're willing to settle for something like 4.7" idol 3.

grover5

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I'm liking the size on my Nexus 6p. It seems to be a sweet spot. But I think if there is demand for it then there should be smaller phones too.

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
I am so glad that the iPhone SE came out! I hope it will inspire more OEMs to make small phones with great specs.

k3u

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
I would say anything over 5.7" is a big too big and I'm a big fan of larger devices. Screens are getting bigger because they function more than just a telephone, it functions as a multimedia device, anything from filing your taxes to playing a video game or watching a movie. I believe it is perfectly fine to have a bigger screen but no bigger than 5.7" diagonal.

Feb 10, 2016
Visit site
A quick search revealed this data from here What's the Perfect Screen Size for Smartphones? It is not a scientific poll, but rather an internet poll and it was done last year. It indicates that 67% of owners want a 3.5-4 inch phones. It is pretty close to my anecdotal evidence, wouldn't you say?

If you also look here List of Tablet and Smartphone Resolutions and Screen Sizes - CSS Blog | binvisions you wwill alos find that the majority of phones on the market fall into the 4-4.5 inch category.

And one more survey also says that as of 3/15/2012 most owners want a 4-4.5 inch smartphone Smartphone Screen Size: Users Want 4-to-4.5-Inch Phones, Survey Says

Is that enough data for you or do you want more?

You sound like a small phone snob. Just because you like something one way doesn't mean others don't like it another way. If big screen phones didn't sell, they wouldn't keep making them would they?
I didn't quote it, although I will if you like, but in your reply above I loved how you completely contradicted yourself in the same sentence.

Posted From My LG Stylo

TJA3500

Mar 17, 2016
Visit site
Quote from Huff Post "That is the implication of a new study by Strategy Analytics, which found that 90 percent of American and British smartphone owners want a screen size larger than the one on the smartphone they currently own, with 4-to-4.5-inch smartphones being the most popular ideal size." That's from 2012 when 4-4.5 was about the largest screen you could get. And they wanted a larger screen yet.
If 67% of people want a phone 3.5"-4" that's close to largest phone you could get at that time in 2011 which was Galaxy Nexus at 4.65"
I love my Galaxy Note 5 but with my case on, it is large in my pocket. I'm going to keep it and buy Galaxy S7 with no case so when go out for the evening it will be easier to pocket.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2015
Visit site
With all the gesture technology out there smaller screens won't be as much of a compromise for some people anymore, context being those who want an equal user experience on a smaller display.

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
AP is currently running a poll, right now it's pretty much a 3 way tie, with 5.5 to 5.7 a couple of percentage points ahead of both 4.9 to 5.1 and 5.2 to 5.4. So I guess they aren't getting too big. The rest of the sizes are all way out of the running.

Posted via the Android Central App

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
AP is currently running a poll, right now it's pretty much a 3 way tie, with 5.5 to 5.7 a couple of percentage points ahead of both 4.9 to 5.1 and 5.2 to 5.4. So I guess they aren't getting too big.
Still, the worrisome thing about that poll for N6 lovers like me is that 60% of the respondents prefer phones with displays under 5.5". And I call that worrisome because it all too neatly co-incides with what most OEMs seem to have been doing ever since the N6 came out, namely, either backing away from plus-sized displays entirely for flagship phones (at least for the US market) or using 5.5" to define the term "plus-sized phone."

I also wonder how the results might have differed if Ruddock hadn't lumped 5.5" and 5.7" together.

Aug 7, 2015
Visit site
I hate summing up everything on a "Poll" that isn't constructive analysis, but rather only be used to discredit those who ask for a more universal size (around the basic four inch range).

Because god forbid we have preferences, and tech journalism in general seems more privy to **** measuring contests than actual studies.

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I hate summing up everything on a "Poll" that isn't constructive analysis, but rather only be used to discredit those who ask for a more universal size (around the basic four inch range).

Because god forbid we have preferences, and tech journalism in general seems more privy to **** measuring contests than actual studies.
Why is it not constructive to ask people what size they prefer?

Gin Tonic

Apr 27, 2016
Visit site
Actually im not on any phone that is less larger than my hand. Mainly for youtube, casual games and other stuff where words can be a pain to read.

calicocat2010

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
I thought 5.5" would be it for me, but having a Note 5 for its spectacular specs and features, I am looking forward to the 5.8" Note 6. After that could be the largest size I get. I have wanted a water resistant phone, with micro SD; love the S-pen, but wish for a removable battery. Seems that is not the case anymore. I have my Note 3 as a back-up.

BergerKing

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
At one time, I might've agreed phones are getting too big. But with the consumption of media and other uses, I've long abandoned that notion.

I use a Galaxy Note 5 and truly love it. I don't wear skinny jeans or tight clothing, and my pockets are voluminous, so a bigger phone doesn't bother me a whit.

I have no plans or desires to retrograde to a small format phone.