Are spare batteries worth the cost? If so...1 or 2 spares? What brand? What adapter?

Dude2

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Wow, the Caseology is a good price for two batteries and 18mo. warranty. How long have you been using these batteries?

Dude2

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I must be a pretty light user. I plug my phone in when I go to bed its charged when I get up. Once in awhile I have to charge it during the day but I don't find it to be any great chore. I would rather plug mine in for a bit then to have to carry around spare batteries.

Deb from my Note 3
I am a heavy user all day long out of my office and out in the chemical plant several times a day working on my projects.

jim_h#AC

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
Just to put a bit of spin on this discussion...

I go geocaching a lot in summer and tend to use the GPS in my mobile for it. Obviously, using GPS in anger really hammers the battery and so I ended up buying a portable charger (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Skyrocket-Lightning-ThunderBolt-Smartphones-connectors/dp/B00COZEWXA/ref=sr_1_32?ie=UTF8&qid=1399545922&sr=8-32&keywords=portable+phone+charger) for the purpose.

I originally did this out of necessity as my HTC One X didn't have a removable battery. The point is, I'd still rather continue using this charger with the N3 because taking my mobile out of the case, removing the back, replacing the battery and putting it all back together agian seems like a lof of faff. It's easier for me to take the battery pack out of my rucksack and plug my phone into it. Job done. I can carry it around and keep using the phone while it charges and generally manage 2-3 charges before the charger needs plugging into the mains again.

Doesn't it weaken or damage the phone back by keep having to remove it? Not to mention letting in lots of dust over time?

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Just to put a bit of spin on this discussion...

I go geocaching a lot in summer and tend to use the GPS in my mobile for it. Obviously, using GPS in anger really hammers the battery and so I ended up buying a portable charger (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Skyrocket-Lightning-ThunderBolt-Smartphones-connectors/dp/B00COZEWXA/ref=sr_1_32?ie=UTF8&qid=1399545922&sr=8-32&keywords=portable+phone+charger) for the purpose.

I originally did this out of necessity as my HTC One X didn't have a removable battery. The point is, I'd still rather continue using this charger with the N3 because taking my mobile out of the case, removing the back, replacing the battery and putting it all back together agian seems like a lof of faff. It's easier for me to take the battery pack out of my rucksack and plug my phone into it. Job done. I can carry it around and keep using the phone while it charges and generally manage 2-3 charges before the charger needs plugging into the mains again.

Doesn't it weaken or damage the phone back by keep having to remove it? Not to mention letting in lots of dust over time?

I could see in that case how it would be a bit of a pain to swap out batteries. For me though, it's not a problem as I don't use a case (prefer to use my phone naked, but use a Monaco leather pouch for transport though). I also don't like anything, especially something as large as an external battery pack, attached to the phone potentially encumbering its use and putting stress on the USB charging port (seen and heard too many stories of worn out ports).

As to wear on the battery door, not a problem as long as you're a little careful with it when taking it off/on. Mine doesn't indicate any wear and still fits securely after being taken off/on every few days (sometimes more often depending on use) for the last year and half. Worse case, if needed a new battery door is about $10. Also, no dust issues as the door is only off for a couple minutes at a time. :)

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Yeah the door is cheap, if it does get damaged. But it is pretty flexible and durable.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

jim_h#AC

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
Synycalwon - I hadn't heard about USB port problems until you mentioned it. It's interesting that you have had no problems with removing the back so regularly. That's given me pause for thought. Carrying a battery around would be less bulky than the charger I use now, which is bigger than the N3.

You're far braver than I to use your N3 without a case :)

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Always good to have a spare. You never know. No one can truthfully say "I don't need one" because it's the unusual circumstance when it would come in handy most. You just don't know,, better to be safe than sorry.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I always kept a spare S2 battery, in a plastic pouch, in my right trouser pocket.
The Note 3 battery, while bigger, is still very pocketable. I am going back to my old habits.

Via my Note 3 on AC.

Chuckcell

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm hiking the Foothills Trail (S. Carolina) this fall. As I have AT&T I don't expect to see much coverage and will carry my Notes to phone home when I can. Nor foes it seem that there's any handy recharge points. So ill will carry extra batteries. I get 1 & 1/2 days out of original Samsung battery and a full day out of each of the 2 replacements. Using the phone only once per day _may_ see me through. Have no problem swapping batteries. Carry my phone in an I-Blaston. FWIW

Sent from my Samsung Note 3 using Tapatalk.

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I actually now have 6 batteries. 2 stock,, the other 4 are great batteries, 2 of them do not have the nfc radio and the other 4 obviously do.. When I go camping for 3,4 days at a time they all come in handy. One time a storm knocked out power for 2 days at home and I was watching movies the whole time. Ya never know.

clitrenta

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
Are spare batteries worth the cost? If so...1 or 2 spares? What brand? What adapter?

My old original Note had a spare battery and charger. The 3200mA Note 3 battery last more than a day, but it is still a pain to plug in for a couple of hours to charge it up.

- Would you recommend a spare battery? If so what brand?

- What brand of charger?

- What mA size of charger? Is 1mA charger ok to charge the 3200mA battery?

I just this morning ordered a set of two Hyperion 3200mAh batteries (NFC and Google Wallet compatable) along with wall charger. I've always had pretty good luck with Hyperion. I elected to go the route of spare batteries vs an extended battery so as to keep the thin profile of the Note AND because I absolutely prefer the battery cover that came with it to what's being offered with these batteries.

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I just this morning ordered a set of two Hyperion 3200mAh batteries (NFC and Google Wallet compatable) along with wall charger. I've always had pretty good luck with Hyperion. I elected to go the route of spare batteries vs an extended battery so as to keep the thin profile of the Note AND because I absolutely prefer the battery cover that came with it to what's being offered with these batteries.

I have a set of them for about 6 months now and they are very good... I don't like the charger. Glad I also bought the Samsung spare battery kit because now I can use that very good charger for all my batteries.

clitrenta

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
I have a set of them for about 6 months now and they are very good... I don't like the charger. Glad I also bought the Samsung spare battery kit because now I can use that very good charger for all my batteries.

No doubt I'll end up following your lead but since it comes with it, might as well give it go.

Dude2

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm a heavy user so I normally carry a spare battery. I've tried to use the original battery by Samsung but for some reason it does not hold the charge well. I even bought a brand new Samsung battery after a few months the battery does not hold well. But nevertheless I bought Hyperion batteries before and they do not hold well up against anker batteries. The anker batteries in my opinion hold up very well. I get a day and a half with those batteries.

Posted via Android Central App
Do you use the Anker charger or another brand for the Anker batteries?

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Spares are lifesavers when I travel. In daily life, not so much. If you have spares, rotate them. Don't just leave one sitting in a closet for 10 months. I change up every 1st of the month.

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
No doubt I'll end up following your lead but since it comes with it, might as well give it go.

I have 3 of them portable charges, you will get aggravated with them eventually,, they don't have a long shelve life, fyi,, the new batteries will have a tiny clear plastic cover over the points where you line up on the charger,, make sure you remove.. I remember thinking the battery was junk and would not charge until I discovered this.

karsdroid

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
i carry and external battery pack after years of carrying around an extra battery. i tend to swap out phones once a year so it got annoying having to continually purchase a new battery to go with the new phone. the external battery pack is perfect and actually i have two, a small one that's easy to keep on me for random bumps in power to my phone or tablet.....and i have a larger capacity pack that bigger in size for trips or times i know for sure i will need the extra juice. ie: a recent trip to disneyland....irritatingly my family knows i carry these and kept leaching off my power supply :)

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
I bought a spare battery and extended battery for my note 2, get more use from the extended personally.

clitrenta

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
I bought a spare battery and extended battery for my note 2, get more use from the extended personally.

I was going to go that route but I couldn't find an extended cover that wasn't a piece of crap so until I see somethnig acceptable, I'll go with the spare batteries.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Enid