Are these REALLY LTE Speeds?

seoulbrova

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Live 20 miles outside of Los Angeles, commute to Inland Empire which is about 60 miles outside of LA and I have yet to receive a 4G signal.

I was in Houston this week and in downtown noticed that my 4G signal was on.

Speed tests all week and the highest I got was 7.76 Mbps down and 7.75 Mbps up

Lowest was 2.87 Mbps down and 3.69 Mbps up.

Average was in the low to mid 3.0-3.5 down and 4.5-5.5 Mbps up.

Will this likely be the average speeds when everything is fully deployed or is it still because they're working on their network?

I signed up for the EVO 4g when it first came out because of the 'promised' wimax which I never received.

I signed up again with the S3 in hopes that their rollout of LTE would fare better but I'm not sure it's going to be.

I'm not complaining about the speeds because compared to their 3G, it was absolutely great to be able to use mobile data, but my friend who also has a S3 with Verizon was absolutely destroying my speedtest reults all week.

Subsound

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Well I guess it just depends on the network and users at the time. you also have to remember a lot of towers aren't active so the amount of people connecting to that specific tower is probably overwhelming compared to your friend who has 15 different LTE towers to provide the greatest preformace. Those results are pretty normal I'd say. Here in Dallas I have Recorded my personal highest, also which I have yet to see anyone else with Sprint post higher....

21.46MB DN
6.34MB UP

Second Test in the same area...

12.38MB DN
3.05MB UP

EndlessDissent

May 14, 2012
Visit site
It also depends on how close you are to the tower. You have to remember that Network Vision is just getting started in LA, so coverage is still spotty. You may not necessarily be connected to the closest Sprint tower, and you may have a weak signal. LTE speed is very dependent on signal strength. Even a slight drop in dBm will cause a significant drop in speed. The signal is also more fragile than the 3G signal because it's carrying a larger amount of data, so it will be weaker than 3G at any given distance.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
It will get better. While cities like Houston are "lauched" for LTE they are not fully covered in LTE yet. They basically are saying hey we got LTE here but you might only get good signal in certain areas since it's not 100% so far.

Once the area is 100% you will see some better speeds. The video below shows what speeds you can hit with good signal. My guess would be in a normal fully covered area your going to get 10-15 down and probably 2+ up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFypklPfInE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums

mitsueks

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Here is my highest in San Antonio. Even my bad 4G is good enough to stream video. That's good enough for me.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1352152027471.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1352152027471.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 93

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Im in Dallas as well and one tower near Southwestern and 75 gets me 20-25 megs down and 7-8 up pretty reliably. But at work near abrams and NW HWY i am closer to 3-5 megs down and 2 megs up.
It will definitely vary, especially in the early days.. But its way better then the old 3G we used to have..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CsPerry