Asus Fonepad Not Powering- up

balu889

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
For those removing and replugging battery connector didn't work; Try this..
1) Check the voltage across the battery. It shows nearly zero volts.(optional)
2) Now we have to charge the battery externally.
i) Remove the battery connector
ii) Cut any USB cable. Mostly you'll have 4 cores(Red, Black, Green and white) inside. Leave the green and white cores. connect the red cores to red terminal of battery and black to black.
iii) Connect the USB to ASUS charger and charge for 5 mins. You can check the voltage across the red and black terminals of battery while charging. It would be about 3V.
3) Now disconnect the charger and check the voltage across the red and black terminals. It will show about 3V.
4) Now connect the battery connector to tablet and connect it to a charger. Now the tablet starts with zero battery icon followed by battery charging indication.
5) Charge the tablet for some time and switch it on.

c0g

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
OK. Had problem with battery. First it was showing -98% full. Then I powered it off. Could not power on again. I used the link that Chhorn Sophak posted to get the idea of what is to be done. Since I'm an experienced computer repair tech this was not a problem for me. I pried the back cover open using a pen to start at the upper right corner when looking at the back of the Phonepad, and a credit card to finish the job off. You just need to pry open the side you start at, and the other side pops open with no force. Then I unplugged the battery power connector, left it unplugged for a minute or so, plugged the connector back and tried to power on the Phonepad while still unassemled, and, voila! It powered on with battery ~65% full. So this worked for me like a charm. Shame it happened though. Seems like a reoccuring problem with Phonepads which is not good publicity for Asus brand.

villarich

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
I too had the battery with a question mark symbol showing.

I followed the advice on the previous page and carefully took the back of the fonepad off and removed the battery for 1 minute.

Once I reattached the battery to the phone it vibrated and powered up normally. Battery was showing at 65%.

It is crazy that the battery is within a sealed unit and not easily reached to remove, the only thing I noticed before this fault occured was that my fonepad was not showing the percentage left on my battery. I turned it off to reboot it when I got the battery with a question mark symbol. I was never in doubt that a simple battery pull would correct it, looks like a common problem, at least I can correct it for now...

paul_ro21

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
I had the same battery drain problem followed by the now famous question mark and not charging. Called Asus support and they arranged to pick up the tablet. It was sent to Asus Czech Republic for repairs. This was two weeks ago. I called to see the status of the repair and they told me that they are waiting for spare parts, as they have to replace the battery and the motherboard. Therefore I am still waiting :'(
So even though a quick fix to the battery issue is to re-connect the battery I would advise you to contact Asus before you're out of the warranty period, as it seems to be also a motherboard issue.
I think Asus should acknowledge the fact that they have a general problem with the Fonepads. I am curious whether the people who did not yet experience this issue will never have this problem or it is just a matter of time. I have used my Fonepad for 4 months before the problem appeared.

Ariel Cataniag

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
ASUS Fonepad - Me too having problem with this device (White Battery charing logo then go green with ? mark). I did what others in this forum says "To remove the back cover, used a credit card. Once got it started at the upper left (looking at the back) I was able to gently work the credit all the way around and remove the cover."

For the record, not the battery. To be exact, It was a black connector with a 6 layers of wires (2 black, 1 yellow, 1 white, 2 red) disconnect a few seconds and reconnect again. It really works for me guys. Thank you all...

Last edited:

Ariel Cataniag

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
For the record, not the battery. To be exact, It was a black connector with a 6 layers of wires (2 black, 1 yellow, 1 white, 2 red) disconnect a few seconds and reconnect again. It really works for me guys. Thank you all...

Majid Salehi

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
dear all, ... just to report i have the same problem with my brand new fonepad. Thank you for explanations upon how removing the back case and disconnect/reconnect the battery. However, on my FONEPAD, these operations did not fix it... the FONEPAD never woke up.
This post just to tell the community I COULD RESURRECT IT FINALLY ! i picked 1 thin needles one in one of the two BLACK connector holes (both work the same), and another one in the leftmost RED connector hole. I then gripped to these needles one Lithium _ Ion battery charger and injected into the battery 0.1 amperes during 20 minutes. After this, reconnect battery and .... the FONEPAD wakes-up again :)
Be careful: the FONEPAD drains current even in idle state, and maybe even when OFF... always keep it in charge.

I can't believe it! This totally worked for me :D Thank you very much MarcBrussieux you're a genius!

alexona

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
Did the same as MarcBrussiex described, but i cut usb cable from my old joystick and plugged black wire in black battery hole and red wire in red hole and plugged the usb end to asus charger. Left it to "charge directly" for about 15min and then put the battery connector back to the socket from where it was unplugged. Tablet vibrated on the insertion of connector (that didnt work on other solutions mentioned in this thread) and asus logo showed up whereafter device booted up and started by showing me 0% on battery and sound beeped, just plugged back with original cable and asus adapter and it started charging.....so far its 12% charged while posting this reply....hope this work for you guys....dont let asus or other services rape u off with replacing motherboard or new batterry. CHEERS and thanks a lot MarcBrussiex!!!

paul_ro21

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
Guys thanks for the hints onn how to revive the Fonepad. My question is whether this has to be done each time the pad will drain completely? And does this solve the battery drain issue also? If not I don't really see the point of doing this procedure because obviously the product is faulty. When mine will be back from service center the first thing I will do will be to drain it completely and see if the question mark / not charging issue will come up again. If yes I will send it back to ASUS for repairs. I don't pay anything it is just them having to pay for all the DHL transfers and service hours.
I don't understand why doesn't everybody do the same. Like this ASUS will realize (in case they haven't already) the magnitude of the problem.

Mohamad Mirmehdi

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
- Using a knife, gently pull the back protector off the tablet.
- Remove the battery from the tablet (Plug it out and just pull the battery out of its place).
- A regular charger - corresponding to a mobile phone (preferably Nokia or needle-shape charger) - Connect to the power supply.
- Make two thin wires
- connect the + tip of tablet?s battery to the positive tip of charge and the - tip of the tablet?s battery to the negative tip of the charger. (in needle-shape charger usually the Inside of it is + and outside of it is -).
- Wait about 30 minutes.
- Now place battery into the tablet and use from the tablet charger regularly.

nik7719

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
thank you guys for having this thread,
I did have a problem with the battery and already decided that i should get to the Asus center.However after discovering this thread,my wife think that we should try to solve it ourself.We did the exact thing that you guys told,open the back case,unplug the battery conector,reconnect it..and walllahh...it works....

thanks again..
\
Nik :):)

Sathish Kumar12

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I'm facing the same issue which you faced.Could you please let me know the steps in removing the "fone pad" cover safe.I believe that i should remove and replace my battery to fix this issue.

Thanks in advance for your help

Sathish Kumar12

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Hello and thanks for such a wise useful discussion.I had same issue (when powered on battery, charging symbol appear and then a question mark (?) Display, then goes black screen)
I was surfing internet and this forum has given me sufficient help to resolve the issue.Now my fonepad is working good.Thanks you all again.This issue can Definitely resolved by yourself without service center help.

From the whole conversation i found few of the users wired when tried to remove the cover of fonepad.Here is the step by step procedure to do so.
Step 1:Remove the fone pad top cover as usual
Step2:Try to pull the bottom left of your fone pad cover using your finger Nail, then insert the rigid card into the gap(credit/debit card or any hard card something similar to credit card)Now pull out the first left corner softly, try to move the card to towards middle portion and pull the cover gently, follow the same procedure to pull out from right side portion.
step3:Try to locate the thin wire which comes out of battery and in turn connected to phone pad.Pull the black connector (not) the different colored wires (Pulling the wires may damage the connection).
Step4:Once when you the connector comes out, Reinstall/push the connector back to the same position.You will hear vibration when u push the connector successful.
Step5: switch on the device as usual.You can do it without inserting your back cover.
Step6:After you ensure that your device is charging, insert the back cover.
step7.Keep your fone pad charged for few hours until it get 100% charge.

Hope this help, If need i can help you out with a video post on you tube.
Thanks

LordChilde

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
Jeez... I keep coming across battery issues with Fonepad, now I'm seriously considering NOT buying the thing.

Never let it run down below 30%? That's just absurd! My Streak gives me a warning when it's 15%, and there's no problem charging when it's in single digits or completely empty - and the vast majority of devices are like this, of course.

Maybe this was an issue before upgrades. I'd like to know if it's still an issue after the latest v3.2.4 upgrade.

Raul Gomes

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
Same problem here...for the SECOND time :-(
The first fonepad I bought, after 2 weeks simply died... Bought another one and...after 17 days, the battery starts to drain very fast but, no green battery logo so far... Weird that asus did not make some sort of pick the terminals and provide update... Oh and the last upgrade did not do anything better... Waiting for the new padfone 7... Anyone got one yet?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumbbunny