AT&T Lies About Building 5G Network

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
AT&T's Indigo network upgrades will bring 5G to Austin and Indianapolis in coming months | Android Central

400 Mbps is not only not revolutionary, it's barely better than what T-Mobile has now. Furthermore, their max theoretical speed is 1 Gbps. The problem is, that 1 Gbps is the speed of a true 4G network. AT&T isn't fully built out on 4G yet, they barely meet the minimum standards and have never maxed out. The media should be calling them out on this, because what they're actually doing here is pretending to build a 4G network and trying to call it 5G for marketing. This is familiar, much in the same way that HSPA and HSPA+ never were really 4G, yet they called them 4G anyways.

To clarify the distinction, an actual 4G covers a normal volume of usage with consistent speeds from 100 Mbps to 1 Gbps, while 5G covers speeds from 1 Gbps and beyond until 6G is defined, then it too will have a cap.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Marketing. I remember when some networks were selling 2.5G as 3G because of the 'legal loopholes' in the definitions.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Remember when T-Mobile called their HSPA+ network 4G?

Yep, that wasn't cool either. It's only been in the last couple of years that real minimum 4G speeds were being hit in the US by anyone, yet 4G was being advertised in 2010 - despite literally no one being able to achieve 4G speeds. The devices were technically capable in some cases, but in others it wasn't possible on the network or on the device. Example, the HTC Evo on Sprint - it's full name was the HTC Evo 4G. It, the device maxed out at 10 Mbps. The network sucked too, but that's not 4G by ANY stretch of the imagination.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: AT&T Lies About Building 5G Network

Remember when T-Mobile called their HSPA+ network 4G?
Yep.. they sadly still do (so does AT&T). My Pixel XL reads it properly as HSPA with an H near the bar.

Last edited:

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Yep.. they sadly still do (so does AT&T). My Pixel XL reads it properly as HSPA with an H near the bar.

Oh, you have a Pixel XL. Aren't you special. You know, some people have been waiting months for their Pixel XL's. Thanks for your comment.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Oh, you have a Pixel XL. Aren't you special. You know, some people have been waiting months for their Pixel XL's. Thanks for your comment.
You have like 4 .. don't talk to me. :p.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Nice Pivot; we're talking about your issues, not mine. Don't deflect, own it. You won't get better if you can't look internally.
Pfft don't try and hide behind my issues!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crowoverhoe