At&t unlocked galaxy s5 wont update to 6.0

Faridg22

Oct 7, 2016
Visit site
hello,
I have recently bought unlocked S5 AT&T, stuck with software 5.0 on it, unfortunately i cannot update to 6.0 even it is available for the same brand and same operator,
the message after trying to update is Current software is up to date

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Sorry, can you clarify if you're actually on the AT&T network? A carrier-specific phone usually has to be on that network in order to receive the official OTA system update.

eek2002

Jan 7, 2014
Visit site
I have the exact same issue G900A AT&T unlocked. Won't update I try using AT&T Sim card on WiFi it didn't work I'm using cricket wireless. I'm on 5.0 software.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
One possible solution is to get a cheap prepaid AT&T SIM, just for the purpose of updating the system.

Feldon

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
It should be a crime to sell AT&T phones like SM-G900A outside of the USA. They cannot be updated period.
Actually it should be a crime for AT&T to have that much control over a phone you paid the full price for.

eek2002

Jan 7, 2014
Visit site
It should be a crime to sell AT&T phones like SM-G900A outside of the USA. They cannot be updated period.
Actually it should be a crime for AT&T to have that much control over a phone you paid the full price for.

They can be updated I just did it.

Slater552

Oct 20, 2016
Visit site
I have the same problem but I'm stuck on 4.4.2.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 Active which I purchased off Amazon Unlocked. It is an At&t phone but I am using it in Canada on the Bell Network. I have been unable to get any updates and therefore am still running Kitcat 4.4.2.

I have downloaded the Bell Firmware but Keep Getting the Error Message "Secure Check Fail Aboot" Immediately after each attempt to install with Odin.

I have not been able to find an updated At&t firmware to load and as far as I can tell the Bell Marshmallow Update won't work because My Build version is G870AUCU1A..... Where as the Bell Build Version is G870WVLU1C.......

Is there a way to install this Bell Firmware on my phone ?

Feldon

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
They can be updated I just did it.
So, you got an AT&T Samsung Galaxy S5 to update in the USA by inserting an AT&T SIM card? If so, then that is the ONLY circumstance under which that phone can be updated. I just want to be sure I understand exactly what you did so I am not giving bad information.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
I have the same problem but I'm stuck on 4.4.2.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 Active which I purchased off Amazon Unlocked. It is an At&t phone but I am using it in Canada on the Bell Network. I have been unable to get any updates and therefore am still running Kitcat 4.4.2.

I have downloaded the Bell Firmware but Keep Getting the Error Message "Secure Check Fail Aboot" Immediately after each attempt to install with Odin.

I have not been able to find an updated At&t firmware to load and as far as I can tell the Bell Marshmallow Update won't work because My Build version is G870AUCU1A..... Where as the Bell Build Version is G870WVLU1C.......

Is there a way to install this Bell Firmware on my phone ?

Hello and welcome to Android Central Slater552!

I am afraid that you cannot flash Bell's firmware to the AT&T model. AT&T choose not issue their own firmware through the normal Samsung download sources. Therefore, you will either need to insert an AT&T sim card and connect to their network to receive an OTA update or scour the web in the hope that someone has posted the stock AT&T firmware in a flashable format, with instructions. Failing that, I am afraid you are screwed I am sorry to say. Generally speaking, AT&T branded phones are the world's worst phones to use on any network other than AT&T... and AT&T like it just fine that way. ;)

See, also, 42 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
So, you got an AT&T Samsung Galaxy S5 to update in the USA by inserting an AT&T SIM card? If so, then that is the ONLY circumstance under which that phone can be updated. I just want to be sure I understand exactly what you did so I am not giving bad information.

No Feldon old stick. Luckily, for eek2002, I found a thread over on xda developers forum here, where some nice guy had extracted the AT&T update components and made them into a flashable .zip. A lucky break for some AT&T users with the G900A model.

eek2002

Jan 7, 2014
Visit site
No Feldon old stick. Luckily, for eek2002, I found a thread over on xda developers forum here, where some nice guy had extracted the AT&T update components and made them into a flashable .zip. A lucky break for some AT&T users with the G900A model.
Exactly it works perfect! Also I found out tonight you can take it to Best Buy they will update it to Marshmallow also. They have a Samsung rep there.

Mark 42

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Exactly it works perfect! Also I found out tonight you can take it to Best Buy they will update it to Marshmallow also. They have a Samsung rep there.
People say that as if there is a Samsung representative at every Best Buy.
How can I find out which Best Buy and what hours there is a Samsung Rep in the store?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I think pretty much all Best Buy stores (excluding the Best Buy Mobile stores) have a Samsung Experience counter, and the hours are the same as the store's.

Max Maxwell2

May 13, 2014
Visit site
ah Ha!!!! I went to xda forums after reading here and there is a thread to update s5att I followed it and wa-la a once not fuctioning phone is now working like a clock. I am saddened by ATT's control over paid in cash cellphones I will never buy another ATT product. what a shame!!!:(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rabruslik