Atrix vs Atrix 2 which would you pick?

mrakifa

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Confirmed...it does have 8gb of storage...but also can be expanded to 32gb more...the phone is amazing!

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk

Vic Nebulous

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Hilarious. This forum is sounding like an iPhone forum. Atrix is out since February, and people are jumping to upgrade simply because a new one is coming out 8 months later? Grab yer lawn chairs (and disposable income!) -- we're camping out at the AT&T kiosk in the mall!

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Hilarious. This forum is sounding like an iPhone forum. Atrix is out since February, and people are jumping to upgrade simply because a new one is coming out 8 months later? Grab yer lawn chairs (and disposable income!) -- we're camping out at the AT&T kiosk in the mall!

No need for the attitude. You do what you want, and let others do the same.

Kit71

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Just got the Atrix a Fort Night ago. Gonna stick with her. I could trade her in, but ....... Smaller, lighter, I don't care about Mega pixels or p ( it's a phone ) and the rest is the same..... Oh wait it has more internal memory ( Huge Bonus ). To tell you the Truth, I had trouble leaving my Razor Vxx. This thing is way to fancy for me. Then again I miss my Rotary Dial phones.

Reactions: meeotch

treelover3

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
I got the Atrix 2 on release day and I love the phone except that every time I turn the phone off and then back on, I lose apps.

AT&T replaced my Atrix 2 last Sunday and this Atrix 2 is losing apps, too. What is going on? Sd cards have been replaced and I still lose apps. Not always the same apps, but some are always the same. Go SMS Pro is one that disappears all the time. I changed launchers thinking that Go Launcher was to blame. Installed Launcher Pro and the phone is still losing apps.
Anyone have any ideas?

I think I'm going to go to AT&T to see if I can get a different brand of phone entirely.
I am so frustrated.

I never had any problems with my Optimus V or the Atrix 1.

I'm beginning to wonder if there is an app causing this? The A2 has Android version 2.3.5 and the A1 has version 2.3.4. I've put the same apps on both phones.
Thanks for any help,
tl3

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I got the Atrix 2 on release day and I love the phone except that every time I turn the phone off and then back on, I lose apps.

AT&T replaced my Atrix 2 last Sunday and this Atrix 2 is losing apps, too. What is going on? Sd cards have been replaced and I still lose apps. Not always the same apps, but some are always the same. Go SMS Pro is one that disappears all the time. I changed launchers thinking that Go Launcher was to blame. Installed Launcher Pro and the phone is still losing apps.
Anyone have any ideas?

I think I'm going to go to AT&T to see if I can get a different brand of phone entirely.
I am so frustrated.

I never had any problems with my Optimus V or the Atrix 1.

I'm beginning to wonder if there is an app causing this? The A2 has Android version 2.3.5 and the A1 has version 2.3.4. I've put the same apps on both phones.
Thanks for any help,
tl3

I think it is the way Moto interacts with the SD card. I do not think it is the app to SD card apps per se. If you keep the apps on phone memory it tends to not happen. I have about 40 apps and they take up less than 500 MB on the internal memory. I cannot recall this happening on the Samsungs but I seem to remember it happening on the OG Atrix and it has happened to me on the Atrix 2 until I moved everything to the phone memory. Not a permanent solution, but it should take a while to fill up 4GB of app space or they figure out a fix. Not even sure if it is Moto specific?

Any other thoughts?

Last edited:

treelover3

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
Re: ATRIX vs ATRIX 2 which would you pick?

Last night (Wednesday, 10-26-11), I went to the AT&T store at the MOA to see if I could get an exchange or a completely different phone to replace my ATRIX 2 that keeps losing apps. The guy at AT&T had offered to replace the phone with the Samsung Galaxy S II (w/me paying the difference), after I had told him everything that had happened with the phone. Unfortunately, AT&T was out of stock on the SGS II. When he checked on my AT&T account and saw that it had been more than 30 days since I had activated my ATRIX 1 (4 days beyond that date) he referred me to AT&T warranty service.

The guy I spoke to at AT&T warranty service was a joke. Long story short, he had me clear the data from 3 apps and then told me to reinstall the apps. I kind of laughed and told him that clearing the data didn't un-install the app, it just cleared all of my user data from the app. He put me on hold and came back saying he had done all he could. I was then directed to contact Motorola.

I spoke to Wayne at Motorola and he said I would have to wipe the phone and create a completely new Gmail account because he thought it was my Gmail account causing the apps to be deleted. What a joke! My digital life needs to be turned upside down because of bad software on a Motorola (dumb) Smartphone?

Wayne wouldn't do anything unless I did what he said, so I wiped the phone and created a new Gmail account. He said I would have to wait a few days to see if the phone lost apps after being wiped and the new Gmail account creation. It is going to take me forever to change all of the websites that use my original Gmail email address.

I use my original Gmail email address for everything digital and then some. The paid apps I had on my ATRIX 2 will not move to my wiped phone since I cannot use my old Gmail account on the phone and all of the paid apps are tied to my old Gmail email address. I had just purchased the unlocker key for the paid version of Power Amp (great music player, BTW) and I'm trying to get a code from the developer to unlock the app so I don't have to pay for the unlocker again ($4.99).

I went to the Android Market website and clicked on my apps to see if I could somehow get my paid apps moved to my phone with the new Gmail account.

When I click on the Power Amp unlocker app, it shows it is already installed on my phone. I could send the unlocker to any of my old phones I'm no longer using - like that would really help? :(

If you can, return your ATRIX 2 ASAP. I will NEVER purchase another Motorola product ever again. This is just ridiculous. My original Gmail account worked just fine with my ATRIX 1.

I do have to say that I have not lost any apps since last night, but I also do not have all of my apps re-downloaded onto the phone and I'm not using the new Gmail account at all because I've not moved anything from the old Gmail acct to the new Gmail acct. I have rebooted my phone once since the phone was wiped and I'll reboot it again tonight after I get home from work to see if I lose apps.

If the phone doesn't lose any apps, then it was the Gmail account causing the problem. Wayne said he had not received any calls from anyone else regarding the losing-apps problem (but the phone has only been out for a week and a half so far, also).

The Samsung Galaxy S II is a nice phone and boy, is it FAST! The SGS II is 1.2 GHz and the screen is incredible. After reading some reviews of the phone, the ATRIX is still the better phone and if my phone does need to be replaced, I'll try another ATRIX 2.
tl?

Mytwuk

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
I dont think this relevant or of any help to the lost app problem but I did have a problem with my sd card that I originally bought for my Atrix 2. I picked up a PNY 16gb (std class 4) at bestbuy right after I got the phone and it would randomly unmount itself from the phone whenever it wanted to. I was unable to run a speed test on it as I always got a write error. The phone was brand new and I did not have many apps on it so I cant say if lost any apps or not? I used the card for 2 days and took it out and replaced it with my old 4gb card and all was fine. I ended up returning it to bestnuy and exchanged it straight accross for a PNY 16gb class 10 professional grade which I found over in the camera section. It was marked the same price (which I believe was in error) but I installed the new card and have had zero problems since. This card reports write speeds of 10.35 and read speeds of 17.85 so all is well. But I wonder if the new Atrix 2 needs a faster card to work properly? I have since installed many apps on both the internal and the external with no hiccups. Just throwing that out there for discussion!

treelover3

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
I dont think this relevant or of any help to the lost app problem but I did have a problem with my sd card that I originally bought for my Atrix 2. I picked up a PNY 16gb (std class 4) at bestbuy right after I got the phone and it would randomly unmount itself from the phone whenever it wanted to. I was unable to run a speed test on it as I always got a write error. The phone was brand new and I did not have many apps on it so I cant say if lost any apps or not? I used the card for 2 days and took it out and replaced it with my old 4gb card and all was fine. I ended up returning it to bestnuy and exchanged it straight accross for a PNY 16gb class 10 professional grade which I found over in the camera section. It was marked the same price (which I believe was in error) but I installed the new card and have had zero problems since. This card reports write speeds of 10.35 and read speeds of 17.85 so all is well. But I wonder if the new Atrix 2 needs a faster card to work properly? I have since installed many apps on both the internal and the external with no hiccups. Just throwing that out there for discussion!

Thanks for the reply!

I've only ever had class 10 cards in my ATRIX 2. I removed the 2 GB card that came with the phone before I even activated the phone and replaced it with a 32 GB, class 10, card. That was the card that the first AT&T guy told me was bad (you couldn't un-mount or format the card). I replaced that card with a 16 GB, class 10 card, and then another one. I've never had a card un-mount itself on its own. My problem was quite the opposite; the phone would not allow you to un-mount the card. You'd press the un-mount button and it would say it was un-mounting, but then would go back to saying press here to un-mount.

I have rebooted my phone 2 times since getting home from work and the phone has not lost one app so far.

I just changed the email address on my Amazon account and I guess I need to go through and change the email addresses on everything else. I love the ATRIX 2, but I really should not have to go to these lengths to get the phone to work properly.

If anyone else has anything to add, I'd love to hear any comments/problems anyone has experienced along these lines. And this will also help anyone else that runs into this same problem.
Thanks,
tl?

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
WOW! Change your gmail account? Did they explain WHY this would help? Why would your gmail account cause you to lose apps. Have you had several android phones tied to the same gmail? Just not following the logic?

Since moving all of my apps to internal memory I have not has any issues. It has been 4 days. I have done some research and it appears to be a moto issue with several droid owners etc having the issue also. I am still searching for a definitive answer. I wonder if SD card size has anything to do with it in that the larger the card the more common? Since it comes with a 2 GB SD card and if most people are not changing them out they may never see a problem. I did not reformat my SD card and reload my stuff on the card so I my try that also.

If it ever came to me changing my gmail account and email to keep from losing apps, I would go to another brand of phone before changing. Not sure if this happened with my Samsungs? I know it happened with my OG Atrix and my Atrix 2.

sprof

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Since it comes with a 2 GB SD card and if most people are not changing them out they may never see a problem. I did not reformat my SD card and reload my stuff on the card so I my try that also.

I lost 2 apps with the original card installed. Pandora and Angry Birds.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I have spent a little time researching this with google searches etc. It is CLEARLY a Motorola issue with several model of Motorola phones. Lot of examples and no real fixes that I could see. It appears that several Moto support forums have this issue. Droids, Photons, Atrix etc.

So far the most promising workaround is the keep all of your apps on the phone's memory and not move them to the SD card and use your SD card for Photos, Videos and Music.

Not a permanent fix, but many could keep their apps on their internal memory and never fill up the memory.

Moto is really not owning this issue. If you have this issue, I recommend going to this support forum to report it:

https://supportforums.motorola.com/community/google-android/atrix2

excalis

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
I have found that if you go to the Android Market and open the app from there, it fixes the missing app link. Of course I should not have to do this :)

If you have an app from the Amazon store then you just tell it to reinstall. Your saved games, etc should be intact still at least. It may throw a low memory error but just keep trying.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I have found that if you go to the Android Market and open the app from there, it fixes the missing app link. Of course I should not have to do this :)

If you have an app from the Amazon store then you just tell it to reinstall. Your saved games, etc should be intact still at least. It may throw a low memory error but just keep trying.

Once you fix it in that manner does it stay fixed?

excalis

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
Well, until you have to power back down then back up again. I would think they will get a fix out soon, but that is just my opinion. At least you will not lose app data this way. If it will not let you install over the original app and you have to uninstall, then you will lose your app data at that point.

There is hardly a time I need to power down, I just did it to see if this issue affected me as well, and it did :(

Last edited:

sep2006

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I got my Atrix 2 three days ago, and, coming from an extremely buggy captivate, I'm never looking back. Sure the dissappearing SD apps are a problem, but a small one. Compared to my captivate, which wouldn't read any external SD card at all, its MUCH better. its highly unlikely youll fill the 4.8GB of app storage anyway. I've had a few hangups on the home screen here and there, but again, coming from the captivate (at least the one I had) that's an improvement. I got the Atrix 2 for $49.99 at best buy and it was well worth the money

916x10

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
I too got my Atrix 2 at Best Buy for $49.99, my previous phone was the SE Xperia X10, the Atrix 2 puts that thing to shame! Very snappy, camera takes great pics and snaps them super fast, the display is very clear and plenty bright, battery life is pretty good and the screen is very slick, even fingerprints don't stick to it for long. I bought this phone right now with the expectation that, due to it's TI OMAP 4 dual core cpu and other hardware specs, and the fact that it's less than 2 weeks old, it would get the ICS update. I thought I would miss not having it rooted but honestly, aside from being able to flash custom roms, I don't really miss it at all. The phone is satisfying just as it is......well, I did install the ICS launcher and the ICS lockscreen from WidgetLocker, as well as added custom icons to the launcher dock. All on an unrooted phone, gotta love it!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whytefrank