Atrix vs Atrix 2 which would you pick?

excalis

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
I still think this is the best phone I have had to date. The app losing problem is minor compared to the issues I have had on other phones. Hopefully they get this fixed with an update soon.

palmor

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
The other work around in the support forum thread was to force quite the launcher and re-launch it. I haven't had that issue yet but I rarely, if ever actually shut my phone down.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
The other work around in the support forum thread was to force quite the launcher and re-launch it. I haven't had that issue yet but I rarely, if ever actually shut my phone down.

Yes, while annoying it really is a fairly benign issue/bug. App to SD was designed for phones that have very limited phone memory. Since the Atrix 2 has ample phone memory this may never be an issue. You can still use your SD card for Photos, Videos, and music etc and keep you apps to phone memory.

I just wanted to report it to Moto for a adjustment or fix. Probably not high on their list of priority but apps to SD should work as Android OS was designed and not delete your apps because you put them on your SD card.

Still loving my Atrix 2 ! This phone has too many great features to get down on it with an issue that has a easy work around!

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I got my Atrix 2 three days ago, and, coming from an extremely buggy captivate, I'm never looking back. Sure the dissappearing SD apps are a problem, but a small one. Compared to my captivate, which wouldn't read any external SD card at all, its MUCH better. its highly unlikely youll fill the 4.8GB of app storage anyway. I've had a few hangups on the home screen here and there, but again, coming from the captivate (at least the one I had) that's an improvement. I got the Atrix 2 for $49.99 at best buy and it was well worth the money

Completely agree! I too had an Captivate...and comparing this to a DOA GPS is kind of comical!

The Atrix 2 is solid!

c_86

HaXoR Master
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
i think the original atrix is what the atrix 2 should have been in the begining... overall the a2 is a solid phone, but i also think the same of the originalk atrix

treelover3

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
Well, living with a phone with problems is what the cell phone companies hope you will be satisfied with. I'm not willing to spend good money on a phone that does not do what the phone is designed to do.

I use a downloaded SMS app (Go SMS Pro) and every time the app is deleted, I lose all of my texts (Go SMS Pro is one of the apps that is deleted consistently). A phone with a problem like this should not have even been released until it had been fixed. How long would it take to fix the problem first and avoid so much bad talk about Motorola?

It seems to me that companies know they can get away with crap like this so they do nothing about it.

I know other phones have problems, too, but this has not been a big release for Motorola. A guy at my local AT&T store said they had only sold a few of the ATRIX 2 phones and with so few phones being sold, it may not be a big priority for Motorola to fix the problems this phone has? I'm going to do some research on the various Smartphones to see which phones have had the best reliability and fewest problems and maybe go with one of those.

Also, the alarms I had set on my ATRIX 2 were deleted this morning when I restarted my phone. I had a kidney and pancreas transplant this spring and I rely on the alarms to remind me to take my anti-rejection drugs on time. Due to the alarms being deleted, I ended up taking my drugs much later than I should have. That is simply not acceptable.
tl?

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Well, living with a phone with problems is what the cell phone companies hope you will be satisfied with. I'm not willing to spend good money on a phone that does not do what the phone is designed to do.

I use a downloaded SMS app (Go SMS Pro) and every time the app is deleted, I lose all of my texts (Go SMS Pro is one of the apps that is deleted consistently). A phone with a problem like this should not have even been released until it had been fixed. How long would it take to fix the problem first and avoid so much bad talk about Motorola?

It seems to me that companies know they can get away with crap like this so they do nothing about it.

I know other phones have problems, too, but this has not been a big release for Motorola. A guy at my local AT&T store said they had only sold a few of the ATRIX 2 phones and with so few phones being sold, it may not be a big priority for Motorola to fix the problems this phone has? I'm going to do some research on the various Smartphones to see which phones have had the best reliability and fewest problems and maybe go with one of those.

Also, the alarms I had set on my ATRIX 2 were deleted this morning when I restarted my phone. I had a kidney and pancreas transplant this spring and I rely on the alarms to remind me to take my anti-rejection drugs on time. Due to the alarms being deleted, I ended up taking my drugs much later than I should have. That is simply not acceptable.
tl?

Sorry you are having trouble like this. Truth is, all android phones have some bugs. This App bug while an annoyance is not really serious. (Sorry to hear about your medical issues, but I would never rely on a phone timer for anything important. Except maybe a blackberry timer) I saw your post on the SGSII board so I know you do not want to move your apps to phone memory and are hoping to get a new phone. It does solve the issue almost completely. I have heard very little evidence of apps disapprearing while in the phones memory. I had the SGSII and it has some bugs also. I do not think there is any doubt that the Atrix 2 has had little fanfare due to the timing of it launch. (After the SGSII and two days after iphone 4s.)
While I have had Samsungs phones in the past and liked them, trust me when I tell you that Motorola supports their phones better than Samsung. I am not really trying to be an apologist for Motorola and a basher of Samsung although my post looks that way after reading it myself...I saw the video of that Galaxy Nexus and it looks fantastic and it is a Samsung!

Best of luck to you in a more reliable experience with android.

TimmyB

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
...Truth is, all android phones have some bugs...

Truth is, ALL PHONES have some bugs! It's the nature of the beast. Part of it is the fact that the manufacturers are not the providers of the OS, nor are they the manufacturers of the SD cards. When you have multiple phone manufacturers, multiple SD card makers, multiple versions of the OS, multiple (different) skins put on by the phone manufacturers... It is really unrealistic to think they are going to be able to test every possible scenario before releasing. If they did that, the phone would be outdated before it hit the market!

I think I am getting mine tomorrow. (I hope, anyway!) :)

Reactions: jroc

treelover3

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
Sorry you are having trouble like this. Truth is, all android phones have some bugs. This App bug while an annoyance is not really serious. (Sorry to hear about your medical issues, but I would never rely on a phone timer for anything important. Except maybe a blackberry timer) I saw your post on the SGSII board so I know you do not want to move your apps to phone memory and are hoping to get a new phone. It does solve the issue almost completely. I have heard very little evidence of apps disapprearing while in the phones memory. I had the SGSII and it has some bugs also. I do not think there is any doubt that the Atrix 2 has had little fanfare due to the timing of it launch. (After the SGSII and two days after iphone 4s.)
While I have had Samsungs phones in the past and liked them, trust me when I tell you that Motorola supports their phones better than Samsung. I am not really trying to be an apologist for Motorola and a basher of Samsung although my post looks that way after reading it myself...I saw the video of that Galaxy Nexus and it looks fantastic and it is a Samsung!

Best of luck to you in a more reliable experience with android.

Thanks, Planoman! I appreciate the insight on the Moto & Samsung phone support. Maybe I am being a little hasty here, but after spending $50.00 on a 16 GB SDHC card (I sent the 32 GB card back), I don't really like the fact that I can't keep apps on the card. This morning was the first time the alarms had been deleted. I've reset them and I have an old Tracfone I'm going to charge and set alarms on that, too, as a backup.
I'm almost home, and I'm going to call Moto right away. Maybe if enough people call to complain, something will get done quicker?

I thought I had heard recently that a class-action suit had been brought against one of the cell phone companies and a software fix was available the following week? All companies are trying to cut costs and not being responsive to known cell phone issues sure saves the companies lots and lots of cash!

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk

treelover3

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
Truth is, ALL PHONES have some bugs! It's the nature of the beast. Part of it is the fact that the manufacturers are not the providers of the OS, nor are they the manufacturers of the SD cards. When you have multiple phone manufacturers, multiple SD card makers, multiple versions of the OS, multiple (different) skins put on by the phone manufacturers... It is really unrealistic to think they are going to be able to test every possible scenario before releasing. If they did that, the phone would be outdated before it hit the market!

I think I am getting mine tomorrow. (I hope, anyway!) :)

But each manufacturer overlays the OS with their own software to make the phone theirs. Motorola, Samsung, LG, etc., all add customizations so when U buy a Moto phone, a Samsung phone or an LG phone, U know U have a phone from that particular manufacturer. It's my opinion that these little tweaks are what cause the majority of the problems (or the fact that the over-lay software is not ready to be rolled out.)
My. 02
tl3

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, Planoman! I appreciate the insight on the Moto & Samsung phone support. Maybe I am being a little hasty here, but after spending $50.00 on a 16 GB SDHC card (I sent the 32 GB card back), I don't really like the fact that I can't keep apps on the card. This morning was the first time the alarms had been deleted. I've reset them and I have an old Tracfone I'm going to charge and set alarms on that, too, as a backup.
I'm almost home, and I'm going to call Moto right away. Maybe if enough people call to complain, something will get done quicker?

I thought I had heard recently that a class-action suit had been brought against one of the cell phone companies and a software fix was available the following week? All companies are trying to cut costs and not being responsive to known cell phone issues sure saves the companies lots and lots of cash!

I agree that it should work and your apps should not be deleted because you choose to put your apps to SD. I started the thread below (link) on the Atrix 2 support forum where I know Moto has representatives monitoring the threads. The more people that care about this issue that register and put their thoughts into the thread, maybe it will get moto to look into. I know other Moto models in this forum have a thread for the same issue.

https://supportforums.motorola.com/thread/60723

Last edited:

sk8trix

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm still wondering if it is worth upgrading to this.I am.using my O.G Atrix and I have an unlocked bootliader overclocked to 1.3Ghz and rooted and a honecomb ROM on Ext4.
I like the new atrix but I'm still wondering if its a good or bad decision and on xda there isn't much talk about starting work on the A2 or porting CM7 to it.my upgrade is in about a month and a half and even after using one at the store I'm still trying to decide but the feddback in this thread since I started it is very good and hopefully it will continue.

excalis

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
The Atrix 2 is the only phone I have owned that I have wanted to keep stock. No other launcher, no need for root or different ROM.

I went ahead and upgraded since I was within the 30 day return window. I am glad I did, but, I would have been ok staying with the Atrix. But on that device, I had to use ADW, and was looking into rooting/ROMing since it felt laggy and slow.

the1realdave

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
The issue with the SD cards is not about whether your ring-tones disappear, or alarms disappear.

It's all to do with the fact that some quirk in the Motorola hardware or software causes the SD card to become read-only.

It's a pretty grievous bug. And, it's a bug with no workaround.

When the phone gets in this state, you can't unmount the card. The only way to remount the card read-write is shutdown and reboot the phone.

In my eyes, this makes this bug a priority-1 bug: it stops a core function of the phone, and there is no workaround.

But, when you call Motorola customer support they don't even acknowledge that it's a known issue.

Bad form Motorola.

916x10

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm still wondering if it is worth upgrading to this.I am.using my O.G Atrix and I have an unlocked bootliader overclocked to 1.3Ghz and rooted and a honecomb ROM on Ext4.
I like the new atrix but I'm still wondering if its a good or bad decision and on xda there isn't much talk about starting work on the A2 or porting CM7 to it.my upgrade is in about a month and a half and even after using one at the store I'm still trying to decide but the feddback in this thread since I started it is very good and hopefully it will continue.
If you can wait, might be a good idea. Not because this is a bad phone, it's actually quite nice, but if modding is your thing you'd probably be better off going with a more popular device.

treelover3

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
I got a new ATRIX 2 last night and I have not moved any apps to the SD card and the phone still loses apps. I don't get it??? Apparently, leaving the apps in the phone's internal memory is not a guaranteed fix?

I'm taking the phone back tomorrow and I will try the Samsung Galaxy S II. My sister has a Samsung Fascinate (I think that's the phone) and it has a bug or two, but they're bugs she can live with. One bug is that when she calls voice mail, it says she has a message, but there is no message there. I believe the phone will also show there is a message in the bar at the top of the phone even though there is no message.
Those are faults I could live with, but the app deleting I cannot.

Thanks all for all of your help, everyone!

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to hijack this thread! I just hope the info posted here helps others, also!

I'll let you know how the SGS II works out.
Thanks again,
tl?

916x10

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
I just got my son the Atrix 4g tonight and it's not bad, doesn't seem like there would be much of a difference in the screens since there's only a .3" difference, but it's very noticeable. I like the A2 better.

Bearly

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Is it available on Amazon wireless yet? I told my buddy not to get the inspire and he did and now complains of battery life. I want him to trade in for the Atrix 2, but he doesn't want to pay tax on full retail price (CA law), and with Amazon he gets to avoid tax entirely.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

ridethegutter

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
I had the original that came preloaded with gingerbread. Not a single issue with it. Very solid phone. I just got the ATRIX 2 on Thursday. Even better than the first. The screen is awesome not having the pentile display. Download speeds are faster. I have been getting between 5 and 9 mbs down. Plus the 2 looks and feels so good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumbbunny