Backed up contacts to SD card but the .vcf file isn't there?

thegreywizard

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
I have an Asus Padfone X that just completely died on me, but about a week ago I did a contact file export to SD card and it seemed to have completed successfully.

But now since my phone has died I've removed the SD card, plugged it into a Samsung Blaze and it says the card is completely blank - which I know isn't true as I had other pics & videos loaded onto it.

So I plugged the SD card into my computer via an adapter & it does in fact show my photos & videos that I loaded on to it, as well as the pictures the phone took.

But when checking on the computer using Windows 7, I see no .vcf file of any kind showing up

Is there a special program I need to download for my computer to see/recognize the .vcf file so I can hopefully save all of my contacts that I supposedly backed up on the SD card?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Do you know for sure that the vcf file was saved to the microSD card, and not Internal Storage?

thegreywizard

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
When doing the export I was under the impression it was the SD card as that was the option I selected, but from doing more research it seems that exporting to SD cards actually means the internal storage, which is really stupid and mis-leading.

I Think I'm a fish out of water until I get a replacement battery for my Asus Padfone - sucks too because I don't even want to keep it at this point.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
When doing the export I was under the impression it was the SD card as that was the option I selected, but from doing more research it seems that exporting to SD cards actually means the internal storage, which is really stupid and mis-leading.

This is what I was wondering about. For devices that partition their onboard internal storage into an app installation area and an "internal SD" area, the system usually means this latter area when it talks about an SD card (unless it specifies "external SD").

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
This is what I was wondering about. For devices that partition their onboard internal storage into an app installation area and an "internal SD" area, the system usually means this latter area when it talks about an SD card (unless it specifies "external SD").
I use Total Commander on my Moto X Pure Edition. What is called "SD card" is internal storage. What is the SD card is called USB.
416cd6ff5d7331d6602b6739d1d9e6c0.jpg

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
That's weird, because on my ZenFone 2, Total Commander lists the microSD card as "SD-card (2)." Internal Storage is called "SD-card," just like yours.
It doesn't bother me, since I know what's what, and I know where to move my files.

Isn't Total Commander a pre-installed app on the ZenFone 2? One of my friends has the ZenFone 2, and I believe he said Total Commander was pre-installed.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It's just odd that it would report a microSD differently on a different phone. Maybe it has to do with the Android version? The ZenFone 2 is still on 5.0.

Total Commander wasn't preinstalled on my ZenFone 2 (although I can't speak for the more recent variants like the Laser and the Deluxe). There's an ASUS file manager app that was preinstalled, which is ok, but not as good.

CarrieRawks

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
I always back up my contacts on my Google account on my phone...also I will make a .vcf file and email it to myself as well just in case & my dropbox account about once a month or so.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmc