Battery life thread. 🔋

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
For those using it, what drop are you seeing overnight for sleep tracking? I'm seeing about 15% with bedtime mode, snore detection and blood oxygen active.

Talderon

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Ok, here is my batter life journey from the time I opened my watch and started playing with it.

10:30am Out of the box Battery: 67%
11:45am On charger after messing with it: 55%
12:55pm Took it off charger to go out and about with wife: 100%
09:00pm Bedtime, watch was at: 67%
07:00am Time to get up and walk the dogs: 52% (so seeing about a 15% drop)
08:05am Put the watch on the charger while getting ready for work: 51%
08:54am Took it off the charger: 100%

Watch Settings:

Watch Face: AR Emoji (this is fun with the animations!!)
Wake on Gesture: OFF
AOD: On
Sleep tracking: everything is set to measure every 10 mins - Snore detection OFF (I use a CPAP, so no snoring to detect)
Notifications: Text, Email (3 apps), Calls, Voicemail and a few others, I don't have any Instant Messaging Apps/Games or anything non-important notify on watch (too noisy)

Overall, I am getting BETTER battery life with this watch. My Watch 3 would get into the 40% area at bedtime. Of course, I expect this to fluctuate as I use the watch for tracking of activities like Cycling and Walking (aerobic walking, not normal walking). We'll see how things go! :D

Thanks!

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
For those using it, what drop are you seeing overnight for sleep tracking? I'm seeing about 15% with bedtime mode, snore detection and blood oxygen active.
I start overnight wear at 100% and in the morning I'm down to 90%. I don't use bedtime mode (don't even know what that is), I have blood oxygen active but not snore detection as it was recording my CPAP machine.

Talderon

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I start overnight wear at 100% and in the morning I'm down to 90%. I don't use bedtime mode (don't even know what that is), I have blood oxygen active but not snore detection as it was recording my CPAP machine.

Bedtime mode is REALLY nice, it's like Do Not Disturb for your watch, however, be careful, it defaults to Sync that setting to your phone (meaning your phone goes into DnD when you select Bedtime Mode). I use this mode on my watch and leave my phone on (because I am always on-call for work and need it to ring), but the way I sleep, sometimes my watch is close to my face, so email and other notifications that go to my watch wake me up.

It does NOT impact any of the sleep tracking or anything like that.

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for that info! I use DND on my phone which syncs with my watch so it sounds like the same thing. Is there a difference or advantage one way or the another?

Talderon

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for that info! I use DND on my phone which syncs with my watch so it sounds like the same thing. Is there a difference or advantage one way or the another?
Well, if you manually turn DnD on/off, them doing it from your watch allows you to do it without unlocking your phone and all that, but in reality, no advantage one way or the other.

Except in my use case where my phone does not go into DnD mode, having the watch in that mode to keep it silent as it is near head most nights (where I forget to set it and a notification wakes me up so THEN I put it into DnD... )

theobject

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
Typical 1 hour bike ride would drain about 15% with AW2, using Samsung Health and GPS on. Today I did same ride and it drained 25%. Will keep an eye on it to see if changes over time.

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Typical 1 hour bike ride would drain about 15% with AW2, using Samsung Health and GPS on. Today I did same ride and it drained 25%. Will keep an eye on it to see if changes over time.

I was on a 100 when I left for work today around 1:30. Mine is set to turn on when I move wrist.I got a few notifications throughout the day and sent a few quick text. I love swype even though it's hard on the small screen works good enough for something quick. It's now 12:45 am and I am on 36% I usually have more but I will charge again when I wake up so I guess I'm not gonna worry about it. I will go to bed soon and put it in goodnight mode and than charge it when I wake up.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site

There is, bedtime mode also turns the screen off and disables raise, touch and rotate bezel to wake to prevent you doing stuff on your watch while asleep.

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Re: Battery life thread

There is, bedtime mode also turns the screen off and disables raise, touch and rotate bezel to wake to prevent you doing stuff on your watch while asleep.
Ah, so thank you, that is important to know. Sometimes if I awaken at night I'll want to check the watch to see what time it is. I guess I'll leave my phone with my preset nightly dnd setup and let my watch sync to that.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Re: Battery life thread

Ah, so thank you, that is important to know. Sometimes if I awaken at night I'll want to check the watch to see what time it is. I guess I'll leave my phone with my preset nightly dnd setup and let my watch sync to that.

If you press a side key it does show the time along with the turn off button.

Darwm

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
Battery life is actually really not bad compared to my active 2. I barely charged 45min-1hr a day since I got it and thats enough. Still havent charged it to 100% and the battery still hasnt drianed to 0% after a day. And i sleep with my watch every night.

doxidad

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
I found that after a 10 days of use, the battery life has improved significantly. I guess that's what the battery meant by learning my usage. I was a bit worried when I was seeing 30% left at the end of the day. Coming from the original galaxy watch that had 75-85% left at the end of the day. Slowly, it seems like it is starting to approach those figures.

Last edited:

theobject

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
After first full charge I am at 32% after 25 hours. This includes playing around with the new Walkie Talkie app and lots of notifications.

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
After first full charge I am at 32% after 25 hours. This includes playing around with the new Walkie Talkie app and lots of notifications.

How did you get the new walkie talkie app I can't find it? I read an article about it and it didn't get good reviews. I'm my chrome book and it took me to the playstore and it said not compatible with your device which I know I am on my Chromebook but I didn't see it in the play store on my phone or the Samsung store. Is it any good? I wanted me and my husband to try it. I am on 44% since 10am.

theobject

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
I found it in play store, just searched for walkie talkie. It's a little confusing at first. I can see this being better for watches that have LTE rather than BT only. The app will always need to be running in case someone wants to contact you on the channel. I didn't leave running so I can't say if it has a big impact on battery life.

kbboykin

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Does auto brightness help or hurts battery power. I was getting decent battery, but turned on auto brightness and added a tile that syncs in the background and my battery life dropped significantly. I removed the tile and have now turned off auto brightness. Too soon to tell, but if anyone knows please advise.

mlblack16

Apr 29, 2016
Visit site
Does auto brightness help or hurts battery power. I was getting decent battery, but turned on auto brightness and added a tile that syncs in the background and my battery life dropped significantly. I removed the tile and have now turned off auto brightness. Too soon to tell, but if anyone knows please advise.

Depends on where you keep your brightness set if using manual. It's possible to get better battery life from that, but it would drive me crazy being outside and unable to see my watch. Likewise, I wouldn't like having it kept really bright when I didn't need it.

It sounds like the tile that syncs info in the background probably has more to do with it than anything, or if you were keeping brightness set on permanently low that is also contributing.

kbboykin

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Depends on where you keep your brightness set if using manual. It's possible to get better battery life from that, but it would drive me crazy being outside and unable to see my watch. Likewise, I wouldn't like having it kept really bright when I didn't need it.

It sounds like the tile that syncs info in the background probably has more to do with it than anything, or if you were keeping brightness set on permanently low that is also contributing.

When I check battery usage, the largest consumption is Display - 4.3%. I'm also wondering if having Google Fit AND Samsung Health running simultaneously could be a significant drainer. Samsung Health, 0.8%, Heatlh Services 0.3%, and Google Fit 0.1% (1.2% total). I'm not clear as to what Power Saving really does as I still get Notifications and Messages and health info when I had it checked.