Bixby > google assistant?

beandaddy

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
I don't really use either. I've got an echo and find it mostly annoying.
for one thing, unless you live and work in solitude you're intruding on others, and I don't want everyone around me knowing everything I'm doing... I'd be perturbed by my wife constantly talking to her phone, I can barely get a word in as it is.
I do think they may figure out the correct way to do this, but I'm not going to tell them because I'm their customer not their employee.
I've found none of them to be accurate enough or give me enough information. I can tap a query in faster anyway.
I can see finding settings being easier since they've fragmented the menus so much... it's like windows vs Mac in the late 90s. Mac had stuff spread all over the place, chooser, some other thing. windows control panel. simple is better.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
So far Bixby is a mixed bag for me. When it works, it's good, but sometimes it just don't work, and in many places it's still half baked! I have no doubt it will someday be something but someday is NOT today!

pkcable

Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
In my experience I was able to get Bixby to do more BUT he was not as responsive to the call as Siri is. I can NOT recall a time when Siri has not responded to "Hey Siri" Bixby runs about 50%, sometimes I just HAVE to press the button, which I guess is easy enough. HOWEVER Bixby can do more complex operations such as turn on the flashlight (which shouldn't be THAT hard of a task, but Siri just can't manage it). And he can open and app and THEN take an action.

Doug Moffat

Aug 21, 2016
Visit site
Who here is using Bixby rather than GA? I decided to go all in instead of trying to use Bixby for certain things and GA for others. I knew I would favor GA because it's familiar.

I found that Bixby is very capable but a bit clunky. It has to launch apps and can't provide information in its own interface. So getting directions means waiting for Bixby to launch the app find home start routing and then present an ETA. not the end of the world and I'm sure it'll improve. Other things that GA can't do like scrolling, swiping, and turning settings on and off are awesome.

Thoughts?

I applaud your courage. For me it doesn't respond to voice commands 50% of the time and 25% of the time the desired app open and closes in a millisecond. And it often opens the wrong app. Maybe I'm not spending enough time with it.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Depends what you want it to do. I've never used google assistant, cause I've just never had the desire. But I often want to set 30 minute timers, or set a reminder alarm for 7:30 etc. So I use Bixby a little bit.

pkcable

Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Bixby is sorta like my ex, she never listened to me either UNLESS I pushed her buttons! THEN she would respond!

rhsortho

Aug 14, 2016
Visit site
The best thing about Bixby vs google assistant for me is, Bixby can wake up and take action from the always-on display screen. an example, when there are notifications on the always on display Bixby can read (or show) them, then clear them. google assistant "cannot even see your notifications" so she says. Bixby can clear memory, optimize phone, all while sitting on the dest without touching the device. I also find "turn on wifi calling" handy. google assistants gives me a "here is information from apple support" response. uh okayyy(?)
Bixby shines when it omes to phone-specific items that google just cant do. and google assstant at knowledgebase the Bixby cant do. yet, anyway:)

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Theres so many of these threads already.
I don't understand why this bothers you. It's a new feature. It's not like this forum is so busy that we can't have a few threads discussing different things about Bixby.

Anyway, I don't agree that Bixby is better than OK Google. It can do a few things with the settings and certain apps that GA can't really do but GA is better for other things like web searches, game scores, etc.. Bixby is so sloooooowwwww too. I find GA much quicker. I've already gotten annoyed with Bixby and have gone back to GA.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
As indicated on the first page, anything that people feel needs moderator review can be sent to their attention by hitting the "report" button. The community rules and guidelines do state that members should be searching for existing threads to add to rather than creating new threads.

Diamonddawg31

Aug 1, 2017
Visit site
Google now? Or Bixby?

I am torn on which one to use...I have tried this Bixby but it doesn't seem to work like when I had Google now, but looks like they got rid of Google now....how do I get it back? Or is Bixby actually better?

Sdot312

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
Re: Google now? Or Bixby?

Why not both?

Edit: I use both. Bixby for controlling the phone ( turn on wifi, open the gallery, turn on performance mode)
Google now for opening most apps ( Open Spotify and play Ed Sheeran, whats the weather like today?, wheres the closest gas station?)

Last edited: