Blown Speaker

vtective

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Today, I pulled my phone off the charger and it started to crackle. I didn't think anything of it until I tapped the screen: the system sounds, notification sounds, and media sounds are all seriously distorted. I'm going to exchange it tomorrow. Hopefully I get another non-wobbly screen and sensitive capacative button model again. So lame that I have to go through this hassle.

campbell

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
Same exact thing happened to me this past Thursday. When I woke up to my phone barely ringing I heard the speaker blew out. Went right to bestbuy and the exchanged it

BetterMost#AC

May 4, 2010
Visit site
Might not be the speaker at all. Its most likely a problem with the audio out put driver/s or the audio control chip on the mother board. How have you been charging the handset mostly on the included charger or some other way?

Last edited:

sstea

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
I had the same problem out of the box. I am on my 3rd unit. Everything is great except for the marginal GPS.

campbell

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
Might not be the speaker at all. Its most likely a problem with the audio out put driver/s or the audio control chip on the mother board. How have you been charging the handset mostly on the included charger or some other way?

I use the charger that was included 95% of the time

marisdaman

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
I think my speaker jus went..got mine from radio shack..can't find my reciept..hope they do an exchange. Don't really wanna do it because after a week my battery seems to be working right and gps is good

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I thought the weird feedback I did get was from the sega roms. I was just using the camera and it was making a funky noise. I started playing music through it and there was no issues. Hmm.. gonna keep an eye on it.

vtective

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Do you use the speakephone a lot? Just wondering

Yes. From the speakerphone, ringtones, notification sounds, to YouTube my speaker get a lot of use.

Fortunately, Best Buy was quick to replace the defective unit. By the time I took it back it sounded like a dog's squeak toy. My new unit is better, has better battery life, but has a less responsive bck button. Strange how the hardware varies from phone to phone.

Last edited:

sniderjadam

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I just had this happen to me, too. I recently updated to the EH17 ROM, and this happened when I would close my bluetooth headset or my phone would ring after I had my bluetooth headeset on. The first couple of times it happened, I was able to restart my phone and the problem went away. It happened again yesterday, but this time it still hasn't gone away. :(

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I just had this happen to me, too. I recently updated to the EH17 ROM, and this happened when I would close my bluetooth headset or my phone would ring after I had my bluetooth headeset on. The first couple of times it happened, I was able to restart my phone and the problem went away. It happened again yesterday, but this time it still hasn't gone away. :(
Best way to troubleshoot this is Odin back to EC05/EB13 Froyo and see if it fixes the speaker problem. Otherwise if you have TEP for your device, the speaker replacement is a fast easy swap that can be done in less than 10 minutes at your local Sprint repair center.

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
Best way to troubleshoot this is Odin back to EC05/EB13 Froyo and see if it fixes the speaker problem. Otherwise if you have TEP for your device, the speaker replacement is a fast easy swap that can be done in less than 10 minutes at your local Sprint repair center.
I have two questions about this. My phone is about a year old so the warranty may be gone, but I still have the Spring Protection Plan. Will it cost me anything to have them swap the speaker? Also, will it matter than I am running a custom ROM?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I have two questions about this. My phone is about a year old so the warranty may be gone, but I still have the Spring Protection Plan. Will it cost me anything to have them swap the speaker? Also, will it matter than I am running a custom ROM?
If you have TEP protection (the extra $7 a month insurance on your bill) then it will be covered under that warranty no cost.

You will however have to Odin back to stock Froyo EB13 or EC05 to get your device serviced. So make your backups, Titanium/MyBackup Root and Nandroid backup then hit the link below...

[How to] Factory Restore (or Fix a Bricked Phone)

Procedure #1 is for stock EC05 (works most of the time)

Procedure #2 is for stock EB13 (basically fail safe, do this and then after first boot usually within 5-10 mins you will get the OTA update to EC05)

Good luck ;)

Reactions: 5111

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
If you have TEP protection (the extra $7 a month insurance on your bill) then it will be covered under that warranty no cost.

You will however have to Odin back to stock Froyo EB13 or EC05 to get your device serviced. So make your backups, Titanium/MyBackup Root and Nandroid backup then hit the link below...

[How to] Factory Restore (or Fix a Bricked Phone)

Procedure #1 is for stock EC05 (works most of the time)

Procedure #2 is for stock EB13 (basically fail safe, do this and then after first boot usually within 5-10 mins you will get the OTA update to EC05)

Good luck ;)

Dang, I was hoping that I would not need to do that. I know that it is not hard, just an added hassle.

As always, thanks for the help Paul.

Deeznuts221

Mar 22, 2018
Visit site
Today i was watching a video with headphones in and this loud beep came out of the external speaker now it wont work
Does anyone know what this could be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotifyWord