Boosting wifi reception

angelbones1

Nov 11, 2015
Visit site
Any advice on ways that I can enhance my phone's wifi range reception. My problem is that I'm sure like many of you, that I use my phone as my primary internet connection, however, I am going to be doing some travel in an RV in the near future. RV parks and other campgrounds are notoriously bad for their wifi reception. I was hoping that there was some kind of dongle or other device that would boost my range to pick up wifi signals emanating from the campground wifi source. I suppose the same would apply at places like hotels or other places that offer wifi but force you to be in a certain position, on one leg, with one eye closed, in order to pick a good wifi signal. Thoughts/suggestions?

To be clear, I'm not talking about my phone radio or 4G reception, but getting better Wifi reception at places that offer "free" wifi.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I've seen mention of directional antennas in the past but can't say what phone that was associated with.

Not sure if there's a way you can leverage USB ethernet for this purpose.
eefba30a008dacf0402daed1f546d743.jpg

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
Any advice on ways that I can enhance my phone's wifi range reception. My problem is that I'm sure like many of you, that I use my phone as my primary internet connection, however, I am going to be doing some travel in an RV in the near future. RV parks and other campgrounds are notoriously bad for their wifi reception. I was hoping that there was some kind of dongle or other device that would boost my range to pick up wifi signals emanating from the campground wifi source. I suppose the same would apply at places like hotels or other places that offer wifi but force you to be in a certain position, on one leg, with one eye closed, in order to pick a good wifi signal. Thoughts/suggestions?

To be clear, I'm not talking about my phone radio or 4G reception, but getting better Wifi reception at places that offer "free" wifi.

Something like this should work..

https://goto.walmart.com/c/1943169/...75035&wl11=online&wl12=23988747&wl13=&veh=sem

angelbones1

Nov 11, 2015
Visit site

Unfortunately, that device seems to presume that I'm trying to enhance what wifi I have and be able to plug into that. While this might be a crude option, I was thinking of something more in line of plug and play. I.e., plug into the USB-C of our phone and out to the wifi source. That said, I've already looked into similar devices for my laptop, and found several options. I'm just trying to use my phone for the same purpose and hoping there's something out there to boost its own wifi capabilities.

PGrey

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
This is a good unit:
Amped Wireless AC2550 Plug-In Wi-Fi Range Extender
or cheaper, 2-for-1:
NETGEAR AC1200 Plug-In Wi-Fi Range Extender 2 Pack

You want a unit that can send-receive on one band/radio then distribute on a secondary one, to have it be really effective. This means that neither radio has to "halve" its signal, which can (and often does) greatly reduce effectiveness.
Both of these have this capability. Reading reviews is KEY when choosing one, you want a highly rated unit, and one with a lot of good user reviews too.

I use these quite a bit, when traveling, and often am able to pull-in/redistribute a great signal, at a location which might have a marginal, or almost no signal at all, and have great speeds to boot.
It's also got the added benefit that you abstract your network to a consistent Access Point, or the repeater, particularly handy if more than one user wants to connect, and not re-enter credentials all the time.
You're also on an effective sub-net too, if you want to safely file-share, or similar. All kinds of cool stuff, really.

I'm not sure if this is what you were after, but it's definitely effective.
You can definitely go cheaper too, if you just want to extend wireless "N", and not "AC", but you really want a 2.4/5 dual-radio model, however you do it...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali