Bought a Note 3, only received a Note 3 "box"

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
American express can suggest that Verizon send me the phone, but the max that they can enforce is the amount charged on the card, which is $230 plus tax. If Verizon decides to just give a full refund of what is paid and call it a day then I would still be out $670.
True, but if you don't get your subsidized phone, then they can't extend your contract 2 years. And I would think they have to restore the upgrade. It would be just like if you returned the phone within the 14 day return period.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
True, but if you don't get your subsidized phone, then they can't extend your contract 2 years. And I would think they have to restore the upgrade. It would be just like if you returned the phone within the 14 day return period.

I can return until January 15th since I bought after 11/28. I would file a dispute before then.

I spoke to American express and they said that I didn't quality for purchase protection (warranty) since the phone wasn't in my possession. They said that I could file a dispute within 60 days of the statement date, but encouraged me to contact Verizon and fedex first.

I will give Verizon and fedex 2 weeks, if it doesn't get resolved then I will file a dispute with bbb and state ag as well as send a mass email to Verizon exec. In early January, if no resolution, then file dispute with amex.

I don't see the advantage in rushing the dispute as Verizon already has my money. I want to put forth a good effort, in the event that I have to go to small claims.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I recently sold a Note 3 (one that was purchased from Amazon on the accidental sale a few weeks back) on Swappa. I am in Illinois and the buyer was in New York. Somehow the zip code was changed from 10921 to 40921 on the delivery address - which is a zip code in Kentucky instead of New York. It was shipped on the 22nd and for some reason went to a facility in California and the tracking was updated on the 25th - California, as you know, is slightly out of the way from an Illinois to New York (or Kentucky) package. It had no update for a week and a half after the California update. So I made a lost package claim with USPS. Magically, two days later it appeared at the correct destination after I made the claim. I find it VERY hard to believe that this package was lost. You could tell what it was, that it was some sort of electronics. Everything just pointed to it being stolen and until I made that claim, it was going to remain lost, and then it appeared. I think there's definitely something fishy with these services - and I think it gets worse this time of year.

anon8126715

Banned
Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
I think you should get a replacement. I can't imagine as big a company that Verizon is that they don't have insurance on their deliveries, especially those deliveries that retail over $600. The sad part is now you'll have to think twice when you order something online, what carrier do they use? If they use Fed-Ex, will you have issues with delivery?

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I think you should get a replacement. I can't imagine as big a company that Verizon is that they don't have insurance on their deliveries, especially those deliveries that retail over $600. The sad part is now you'll have to think twice when you order something online, what carrier do they use? If they use Fed-Ex, will you have issues with delivery?
There is another thread about an N5 getting stolen shipped through UPS. All of these shippers have tons of temp employees this time of year. I guarantee you it is the temp employees who are responsible for the majority of this.

anon8126715

Banned
Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
There is another thread about an N5 getting stolen shipped through UPS. All of these shippers have tons of temp employees this time of year. I guarantee you it is the temp employees who are responsible for the majority of this.

That's a good possibility, but it's also somewhat of a blanket statement. You also have to figure that it can be a full time employee that figures the temps would be the first people blamed. Either way, it's kind of pathetic that someone would risk a criminal record for this device. What's worse is that they figure the trust given to them is worth less than that of a Note 3.

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
When I was packing trucks these holidays ours was scanned as they came into the warehouse as they were put on the truck by the loaders and when the truckue dropped them off. So you could when and where it went missing (scanner pins your location with a GPS) buy this was for a chrisco thing. Most expensive items were probably speakers or small TV's.

My oldest brother said that when he did part time at TNT they could tell when some packages were and weren't tracked. The bathrooms were next to the loading docks so it would be possible for someone to kick a package out of camera view into a bathroom. Obviously he didn't as his very strict with ethics. This is one reason you always go with tracking.

- Android Central App. Remember courage is contagious.

tachyon1

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I once ordered a 64gb memory card off amazon. When the package arrived there were no memory card in the pkg obviously it was taken out during packaging. I contact amazon explain the problem and they resolved it promptly. Good luck.

Posted via Android Central App

stackberry369

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Sorry for the confusion. According to tracking even as of this post , the package was delivered to a fedex facility on 8:xx am 12/4 and signed for by someone other than me.

It was delivered to my house around 5 pm 12/5. In hind sight, I should have figured something was up and I should have checked the package before signing. I just got home and was tired so I wasn't really thinking well. Stupid on my part I know.

When you got the package,couldn't you tell that it was light?

Posted via Android Central App

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
When you got the package,couldn't you tell that it was light?
I ordered one at the same time that dpham00 did using the Comcast promo, too. I just put it in the box and then put the box in the package that it came in with all the packaging and felt it both with and with out the phone in it. There was a very slight difference in weight that I could feel.

I then gave the box with the phone in it to my mother and then took it out of the room, removed the phone and packaged everything back up and brought it back to her to hold and asked her which time was the box heavier. She picked the second time (the time without the phone in the box).

So no, you can't unless you already know whether or not a phone is in the box. The packaging and accessories are heavier than the phone.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I ordered one at the same time that dpham00 did using the Comcast promo, too. I just put it in the box and then put the box in the package that it came in with all the packaging and felt it both with and with out the phone in it. There was a very slight difference in weight that I could feel.

I then gave the box with the phone in it to my mother and then took it out of the room, removed the phone and packaged everything back up and brought it back to her to hold and asked her which time was the box heavier. She picked the second time (the time without the phone in the box).

So no, you can't unless you already know whether or not a phone is in the box. The packaging and accessories are heavier than the phone.

Yeah, on cursory check, I couldn't tell.

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, on cursory check, I couldn't tell.
My Moto X is scheduled for delivery tomorrow and after what happened to you and what happened to the other poster with the N5, I am having a box cutter at my door and am going to open it in front of the driver before I sign.

anon8126715

Banned
Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
My Moto X is scheduled for delivery tomorrow and after what happened to you and what happened to the other poster with the N5, I am having a box cutter at my door and am going to open it in front of the driver before I sign.

What's your full name, and where is the address you live in? And how big are the box cutters? secret.gif

Anyone else find themselves so invested in this story that they have an urge to call Fed-Ex and Verizon to find out the status or is it just me? Fed-Ex says it's just me......:-[

runamuck0870

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
are you sure that is true? When you return a phone within the 14 day upgrade period your upgrade gets restored.

I would think Verizon could look at your account and see how many new phones you have purchased over the years and realize that you are not a scammer.

Aye, you are 100% correct. You often MUST call Verizon support and get a supervisor to ensure that your upgrade does, in fact, get reset, but that is their standard operating procedure. It happened to me twice very recently. In both cases, my upgrade was reset.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Probably a bit anti climactic, but I called Verizon today to check and they said that they refunded me. I haven't seen the refund yet, but I did check the upgrade status and my upgrade has been reset.

I did call the police station to make a report, then called Verizon right afterwards. Since they are refunding me, No reason to file a report. Btw when I talked to the officer, he had to put me on hold twice to talk to the detective about the situation since he said it was an odd situation, and finally told me to file a report at the station.

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Btw when I talked to the officer, he had to put me on hold twice to talk to the detective about the situation since he said it was an odd situation, and finally told me to file a report at the station.
yeah, they don't want to have to investigate it because of the potential jurisdictional issues. Nonetheless, it is always your right to file a report. They can then decide whether or not to investigate it. They won't investigate it but if you ever have to file in small claims court, I assure you the other side's attorney will make a big deal out of the fact that you didn't file a police report.

So if you are ever in that situation again, don't let the police discourage you from filing a report. You need it for a civil case and whether or not they pursue it criminally is their call, but that shouldn't discourage you from protecting yourself from an accusation that you are lying.

anon8126715

Banned
Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Probably a bit anti climactic, but I called Verizon today to check and they said that they refunded me. I haven't seen the refund yet, but I did check the upgrade status and my upgrade has been reset.

I did call the police station to make a report, then called Verizon right afterwards. Since they are refunding me, No reason to file a report. Btw when I talked to the officer, he had to put me on hold twice to talk to the detective about the situation since he said it was an odd situation, and finally told me to file a report at the station.

I would file a report just so they can catch the person that stole your phone. If unchecked, the person that stole your phone will probably strike again since no one sweated them the 1st time.

And look at it this way, if the person that stole your phone goes to sell it to some unsuspecting person looking for an Xmas present, just think what kind of headache the unsuspecting person is in for when they go to try to activate the phone. I'd file the report if anything to sweat the person that stole it.

Speaking of, have you checked your local Craigslist to see if anyone has a Note 3 for sale?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
yeah, they don't want to have to investigate it because of the potential jurisdictional issues. Nonetheless, it is always your right to file a report. They can then decide whether or not to investigate it. They won't investigate it but if you ever have to file in small claims court, I assure you the other side's attorney will make a big deal out of the fact that you didn't file a police report.

So if you are ever in that situation again, don't let the police discourage you from filing a report. You need it for a civil case and whether or not they pursue it criminally is their call, but that shouldn't discourage you from protecting yourself from an accusation that you are lying.

Absolutely, if I don't get resolution within a reasonable time, I would certainly file. But they won't do squat anyway. I was involved in a hit and run accident a while back, car was totalled and over $10k in damages, plus medical bills. Cop came saw a trail of coolant, followed it and said that it ended in front of a house and that's it. He didn't even talk to the neighbors or check tow truck services or anything.

Simon_y7

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Here's a happy end story, for a change, but with a lesson. My son's S4, purchased from Best Buy, was delivered today by UPS. The original tracking info, indeed, said that the phone would be delivered today, however, when I checked it for the updates, it said that the phone was delivered yesterday, that there wasn't anybody home to sign for it, and that it would be re-delivered today. According to the stated delivery time, there truly wasn't anybody home at that time. Well, when the package arrived today, the driver, whom I'd never seen before, looked at some scribble on the box, asked me for the address several times, and then said that, while he was the one who attempted the delivery yesterday, he was sure that he'd never been to my house. He did say that he was a new driver, but that yesterday he's delivering with a trainer. Today, he was by himself, and wasn't sure how to bring up the signature box on his terminal. He, finally, did bring it up, and I signed it. But one has to wonder where was that package delivered yesterday and if, indeed, it wasn't here, what would've happened if somebody was there to sign for it and take it.