Bought The Note 7 After Being A Loyal iPhone User For Years... Here Are My Thoughts

slackerjack

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Re: This Stuff Gets to Me (Note 7 vs iPhone 6s)

They lost me when touting the battery life over the Note 7...Im getting 5-6 hours of on screen time a day now...and I'm torturing it....that puts it into the same realm.

Also, love it when someone says "neither of these are affordable,". I spent less on my phone than I do on parking and tolls for a month...not everyone is a hand to mouth making bad decisions (if you consider $1000 a major investment in a piece of disposable tech...you don't need a smartphone...I'm sorry you just don't, that not me judging you...that's me trying to help you realize your priorities suck).

UKgalaxy

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site

Imagine that...a bunch of Android Nexus purists don't like the device that's outselling their precious niche product by 1000:1. Stock Android matters less and less everyday because people choose device with better features.

Oh god. I couldn't care less how many iPhones are sold compared to my phone, for goddess sake it's a phone! If the iPhone. Is marginally quicker than a Samsung, great go buy one if that does it for you! I use both platforms, each for different reasons.

Dry your eyes and move on!

slackerjack

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site

Oh god. I couldn't care less how many iPhones are sold compared to my phone, for goddess sake it's a phone! If the iPhone. Is marginally quicker than a Samsung, great go buy one if that does it for you! I use both platforms, each for different reasons.

Dry your eyes and move on!

I'm not talking about iPhones...I'm talking about the XDA guys whining....

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
I just switched from 6s+ so it's a short bit but my observations mirror yours to some degree.

Screen blows away the iPhone. Not even close. Camera as well although closer. I took some photos of my kids with us and it's night and day.

I owned a Note 5 prior to iPhone. The reason I switched was battery life. I got 2 or 3 more hours on my iPhone 6+ doing the exact same things and using the same apps.

It's still early but I'm seeing the same thing with my Note 7. I'll give it 2 weeks because I spent so much time setting it up and using it. On average since Friday AM when I received it I'm getting 8 to 10 hours with 3 to 3.5 SOT.

I don't like the weak speaker on the Note 7 at all. Watching a few videos there's no comparison as the iPhone blows it away.

My cell signal is also much weaker on my Note and that was the same on the Note 5. Once I realized that I remembered some of the reasons I made the move from the Note 5.

I just love the spen so much. I take a lot of notes for work so this is by far the best feature for me. Also the Gmail, Google experience is far better on the Note but I'd expect that.

I'm enjoying my Note and especially missed the notification light for emails and other notifications.

And for some reason I cannot get my BT to work with my BMW X3 to talk in my car. That is very frustrating.

In terms of battery life, once the Android N upgrade is available, it will significantly boost battery life of all Android devices because Google finally got standby time right. My Nexus 6P's battery life improved dramatically after Android 7 preview 5.

The Bluetooth issue with the X3 is weird, but I have to say, BMWs Bluetooth units suck. I would make sure you're on the latest firmware for the radio unit from BMW first. My experience with BMW and Bluetooth has been dismal over many years. I've given up on BMWs all together for other reasons, but anyway, other than iPhones, they don't seem to bother testing their BT units.

Posted via the Android Central App

Dukins

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site

Gosh these speed test vids are being discussed to no end. No one uses there phone like this, opening and closing apps in split seconds. Just get an iphone already. I recently sold mine (6s+). Yes I do notice the difference in speed but guess what, I chose the Note 7 just like most did here. Get over the speedtests already.

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
I just switched from windows and I am having trouble with email. The samsung email app seems okay but I am not sure if emails are really coming in as push email. I have gmail and outlook account setup. I installed microsoft outlook app but it doesn't show any emails when I load it, it shows calendar fine but nothing in the email tab. So I am not sure which app to really use, I would like to use the outlook app for outlook and can use gmail app for gmail and skip the samsung email app if the outlook app would work. Also I set outlook to sync contacts but it doesn't seem like it has, maybe needs more time.

Appreciate any suggestions as to what email apps work best for outlook and syncing contacts/calendar.

Please note, I am not a Note 7 user. I just see that no one has helped you out here and I can help you with this. Check out this article: Android for the Windows Guy: Use your Microsoft Accounts.

I do this with every Android I have and it has worked without any issues.

Pre_n_BluHvn

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site

My wife just got the 7 (I have the 5). Honestly, even after setting it up like mine with all the animations and transitions turned off, it does feel slightly slower. But the phone just feels better in your hand and SPen is better also...

RichBrown68

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site

Gosh these speed test vids are being discussed to no end. No one uses there phone like this, opening and closing apps in split seconds. Just get an iphone already. I recently sold mine (6s+). Yes I do notice the difference in speed but guess what, I chose the Note 7 just like most did here. Get over the speedtests already.

I was just saying yesterday, man I would love this phone if only it opened flipboard one tenth of a second faster than it does. L o l

--RICH

spasell

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site

So this is my issue. I went back to Note 7 because I use devices for Note taking and feature set but he nailed it when he said literally that the 6s+ blows away the Note 7 with it's battery endurance.

That's a big thing for me and after I switched back to Note 7 it was apparent.

I never had to top off my iPhone ever during the day but already I've done this each day I've had the Note. Oh well.

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Please note, I am not a Note 7 user. I just see that no one has helped you out here and I can help you with this. Check out this article: Android for the Windows Guy: Use your Microsoft Accounts.

I also moved to Android originally from WP and I'm a former MS employee. I use Nine Folders email client. It's $10, but well worth it. I use Google Calendar. Its gotten good enough.

gorgalis

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
You can also change the length of time of each animation when opening, closing, and switching apps. This would not make the time it takes to load an app shorter but navigating through the OS seems much quicker.

thegame161

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site

So this is my issue. I went back to Note 7 because I use devices for Note taking and feature set but he nailed it when he said literally that the 6s+ blows away the Note 7 with it's battery endurance.

That's a big thing for me and after I switched back to Note 7 it was apparent.

I never had to top off my iPhone ever during the day but already I've done this each day I've had the Note. Oh well.

So is this a deal breaker to you? The iPhone 7 is said to have an even better battery so would this tempt you to go back iPhone?

Performance and battery life are two very important factors to get a phone so I can see why some think this is a big deal.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site

Here's how I see it.

The iPhone 6s and Nexus devices are like stripped-down hypercars like the McLaren P1 GTR, stripped of almost every luxury item deemed unnecessary in the pursuit of speed. The basics are all there and they perform very quickly, but you don't really get much extra other than the basics and some other stuff.

Samsung devices and other skinned Android devices are like grand-tourers like the Mercedes AMG-GT and Aston Martin Vanquish. They are still very fast, but also come with a lot of luxury extras that add weight to the vehicle, so they're not as fast as the stripped-down hypercars, but they are still fast in their own regard.

Really, it boils down to what you want. Features or sheer speed.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site

I'm sure if Samsung wanted to build a phone with a 1080p display and an OS that has about half the features that their current flagship does, they could get it to open apps faster/have them stay in memory longer, too. Fortunately for us, they care more about display quality, camera quality, expandable storage, an excellent stylus experience, build quality, durability, the most widely accepted mobile payment system, an open OS, and excellent marketing to sell said features.

jdfry15

Trusted Member
Feb 2, 2011
Visit site

Not only the software, but the iPhone just doesn't have the design chops it used to. The 6 was fine and the S cycle is iterative of that, but if the 7 is yet again based off of those core design languages, they will have fallen a complete year behind Samsung in terms of hardware design.

exactly. I feel apple thinks they can just keep running the same stuff out there because they have the data on how many people will stay on ios because they think it's too much of a pain to move.

mru007

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Congrats on the purchase of the most beautiful & productive smartphone in the market right now !!
To make your Note 7 smoother, please check which stock apps are installed (many times there are bloatware apps from carriers too) & the ones which you are not going to use, disable these.
Next, install a nice launcher like Nova launcher (now Touchwiz is lot smoother on newer Galaxy phones, but still if you prefer).
It will surely help in getting rid of the general lag which you may be experiencing :)

moc426

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Thanks! Outlook app started to work finally and everything is syncing up correctly but that link you provided does help. I was able see what active sync is syncing and make changes I wanted. I am really impressed with this device so far and microsoft services work so much better on android surprisingly.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
First off I want say that the iPhones are definitely more smooth and fluid, the whole "Lagdroid" thing is slightly true but not really to the point of annoyance. After playing Pokemon Go on both phones my iPhone 6 definitely gave me a more smooth and speedy experience (and that phone is two years old). Games with intense graphics also seem smoother on the iPhone.

Try wiping the system cache. It made my Note 7 more fluid and stopped all the stuttering animations.

Here's how you do it:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s7/653877-s7-wipe-cache-partition-regimen.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Enid