brand new battery takes a while to work properly?

thewango

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
is it a myth that when you buy a new phone or camera, the battery will start to work properly after 2-3 full charges?

a colleague and me are comparing the batteries. everything is off (brightness 0%, no wi-fi, no process, no gps)

mine is 46%, and his is 80%

my phone has been charged only twice since I bought it

is it normal or something wrong?

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
is it a myth that when you buy a new phone or camera, the battery will start to work properly after 2-3 full charges?

a colleague and me are comparing the batteries. everything is off (brightness 0%, no wi-fi, no process, no gps)

mine is 46%, and his is 80%

my phone has been charged only twice since I bought it

is it normal or something wrong?

It is definitely not normal to have that much of a discrepancy. Are you using the same phone to compare the batteries, or 2 different phones?...if it's the latter, then it's really not a controlled experiment. There are lot of variables other than those you mention that could cause excessive battery drain, such as apps that require data use to sync or update, or the total screen time between charges, etc.

Many folks recommend allowing new batteries to go through a few full cycles to "condition" them. Personally, I'm not sure if this is really necessary or has any effect (I'm not saying it doesn't, I'm just not an expert on the subject), but regardless of whether this conditioning improves battery performance or not, it's not going to be to the degree that you describe.

Captainbob767

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
It is definitely not normal to have that much of a discrepancy. Are you using the same phone to compare the batteries, or 2 different phones?...if it's the latter, then it's really not a controlled experiment. There are lot of variables other than those you mention that could cause excessive battery drain, such as apps that require data use to sync or update, or the total screen time between charges, etc.

Many folks recommend allowing new batteries to go through a few full cycles to "condition" them. Personally, I'm not sure if this is really necessary or has any effect (I'm not saying it doesn't, I'm just not an expert on the subject), but regardless of whether this conditioning improves battery performance or not, it's not going to be to the degree that you describe.

Another issue is if one of the phones is not near a cell tower, and is struggling for a signal, that will discharge a battery very quickly.

thewango

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
yes same phone same settings, all process killed. that's why i wanted to know if the battery will start to work properly after few cycles of charging