Broken screen

NIUHuskie

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
I finally did something to a mobile device that I've never done before, dropped and shattered the screen. Unfortunately it was my brand new nexus 7 that I bought three weeks ago. Now I'm trying to figure out what my options are. It seems like repairing it would be expensive, but I'm not sure how expensive. Would it have any salvage value if I took it in to trade somewhere and buy a new one? Suggestions anyone? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my (old) Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I decided on self insurance for my 32Gb.

If I drop it, I pay my self insured deductible of $269 and I immediately have a brand new one. ;-)

Sent from my incredible new Nexus 7 (2013)

FitzAusTex

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
I guess he obviously has the self insurance option. My greatest fear with the N7 is that I'll drop it and shatter the screen, actually my biggest fear is that I'll ding it up and not shatter the screen. Bought it at Walmart and added the $28 insurance that is supposed to cover destruction, just not theft. If it were to suffer a bad ding, perhaps it might then suffer a shattered screen.

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited:

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Personally, I'd buy a new one, then wait & see when replacement screens will be available. Then again, I can repair my own devices. You could always throw it on ebay & sell to someone else that can fix it.

Joe Joejoe

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't try to self-repair the new nexus 7. there was this hardware site that took it apart and rated its repair ability as good, BUT it included one small caveat: even though they were super gentle when opening the device, the screen still broke, and if you watched the video, they were pretty careful. this means any new screen could easily be broken when trying to put it in as well, especially since it requires some pressure in order to snap the back on. you could break other parts trying to get it open in the first place. this device is a bit too slim and streamlined to confidently tinker with. its components are heavily designed and fitted together for machine construction, not by hand. they're simply not meant to be opened up.

HalizDad

Banned
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
I decided on self insurance for my 32Gb.

If I drop it, I pay my self insured deductible of $269 and I immediately have a brand new one. ;-)

Sent from my incredible new Nexus 7 (2013)

I'm on the same plan! I spend more on beer and gas in a month than the cost of a tab...and yes, mine is 32GB

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Washable13

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
I have a Razr M which is now water damaged. If i buy a good phone with a cracked screen and replace the screen with that of my damaged phone, will performance be hindered?

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I have a Razr M which is now water damaged. If i buy a good phone with a cracked screen and replace the screen with that of my damaged phone, will performance be hindered?

Unless your screen is also water damaged, I'm not sure why it would have hindered performance, assuming it's the proper phone/part.