Building your own ROM

asadullah

Oct 23, 2010
Visit site
@konspiracy thanks figured it out

Okay so here's another of my stock roms
I decided to change a few things that way I'm not compiling twice

changed lockscreen rings (You know how I feel about bubbles)
changed browser bookmarks to only have Google
change keylayout :
side buttons one is camera (not focus) one is power
search and back key do no wake up device anymore.

that's it make sure to wipe first and foremoset
I used an older gapps that way I could use the checklist setup use wifi
md5sum is
Code:
45390cd5916b60e5750778c0858d8776  update-cm-7.1.0-IHO-KANG-signed.zip

download here cm7rings.zip

P.S. Just tested out mms, camera, gps they all work.

Reactions: JerryScript

sellers86

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
Alright I have a problem. I'm using Ubuntu 11.10 and when I go to initialize the repo I get an error that the repo command isn't found. Any suggestions?

asadullah

Oct 23, 2010
Visit site
It could be a couple things like it isn't in the correct directory or it didn't get downloaded or /bin isn't in your system path

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
The repo binary file, which you download with the curl command when setting up your build environment, needs to be in your path, and needs to have permissions set to a+x. Open your terminal and type the following (if you have a ~/bin directory, skip the first step):
Code:
mkdir -p ~/bin
curl http://php.webtutor.pl/en/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/repo > ~/bin/repo
chmod a+x ~/bin/repo
This should create a folder in your home directory named bin, download the repo binary file to it, and set it's permissions. Check now to see that the folder and file are there (you may have to press cntrl+h to see the folders/files).
Now you need to put it in your path so that you can access it easily from any directory. Type the following in your terminal:
Code:
sudo gedit /.bashrc
This will open your bashrc file in a text editor (you may have to replace gedit with your default text editor). At the bottom of this file, add this line:
Code:
PATH=~/bin:$PATH
Save the file and close the text editor, and if your terminal doesn't show the prompt press cntrl+c. You may need to reboot your computer to insure all these changes take full effect, but I've never had to.

Now you should be able to cd into the directory you want to download the source files and type the following (assuming you have the ndk and sdk and all other necessary tools downloaded per the build instructions):
Code:
repo -init -u git://github.com/inferiorhumanorgans/android.git -b gingerbread
repo sync -j16
Once it's done syncing, usually about 2 hours later the first time you sync, you can attempt your first build. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: pbailey212

jdcnosse

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Mine took about 6 hours to sync the first time. But I'm on 1mbps DSL because the 'rents are cheap and don't think we need anything more

sellers86

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
When I put ~/ it goes to root and it says i dont have permission to view files. so i tried to do everything using my home directory and that didnt work either.

BobZhome

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
The repo binary file, which you download with the curl command when setting up your build environment, needs to be in your path, and needs to have permissions set to a+x. Open your terminal and type the following (if you have a ~/bin directory, skip the first step):
Code:
mkdir -p ~/bin
curl http://php.webtutor.pl/en/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/repo > ~/bin/repo
chmod a+x ~/bin/repo
It's important to reboot your system after setting this permission.
After reboot, you can continue with the rest of the set up.

jdcnosse

May 11, 2011
Visit site
im not getting a bin folder in my home directory. can i just create on in the directory.

Unless you already have a bin folder in your home directory, you'll have to create one first. You can do that through the GUI or by typing mkdir -p ~/bin in terminal.

jdcnosse

May 11, 2011
Visit site
are you running the terminal as root? Your terminal prompt should have a $ when you launch it. If it's a # then you're running the terminal as root (which is pretty dangerous if you aren't careful).

I've attached a screenshot showing the differences. Don't mind the colors or anything, it's because I'm running Linux Mint (based off Ubuntu/Debian) but yours will probably look similar.

(btw the su command is to become root while in terminal, so that's why it's in the screenshot)

If your terminal is like the first one, then you should just automatically be in your home directory, so you should be able to make the bin directory if it's not already created.

mine says james@james-linux ~ $ The james@james-linux is the username@computer_name and then ~ is the location and $ means regular user

Last edited:

sellers86

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
I have to use sudo su - and pit my password to access root. I always log out though. The thing is is when I put mkdir -p ~/bin it creates the bin folder at the root directory and not my home directory

sellers86

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
@konspiracy thanks figured it out

Okay so here's another of my stock roms
I decided to change a few things that way I'm not compiling twice

changed lockscreen rings (You know how I feel about bubbles)
changed browser bookmarks to only have Google
change keylayout :
side buttons one is camera (not focus) one is power
search and back key do no wake up device anymore.

that's it make sure to wipe first and foremoset
I used an older gapps that way I could use the checklist setup use wifi
md5sum is
Code:
45390cd5916b60e5750778c0858d8776  update-cm-7.1.0-IHO-KANG-signed.zip

download here cm7rings.zip

P.S. Just tested out mms, camera, gps they all work.

I'm using this rom right now. I like it.

jdcnosse

May 11, 2011
Visit site
I have to use sudo su - and pit my password to access root. I always log out though. The thing is is when I put mkdir -p ~/bin it creates the bin folder at the root directory and not my home directory

That's because when you're making the directory, you're still root. That's why it's going in root's home and not you're own. I would try making the directory before accessing root, or running mkdir -p /home/username/bin (obviosuly username is your own username. lol)

sellers86

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
That's because when you're making the directory, you're still root. That's why it's going in root's home and not you're own. I would try making the directory before accessing root, or running mkdir -p /home/username/bin (obviosuly username is your own username. lol)

I've done that. I have the bin folder but when I put in the rest of the commands nothing happens. No repo command not a thing

jdcnosse

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Well if you're root when running terminal then you have to modify the statements so that instead of ~ you have /home/username. However I again don't recommend this.

Also the repo file in the first couple of posts by JerryScript is an error. Try googling repo and then downloading it and manually putting it in ~/bin.

asadullah

Oct 23, 2010
Visit site
try to get repo from here
I had an issue getting it from the tutor place and couldn't get an init

Code:
curl https://dl-ssl.google.com/dl/googlesource/git-repo/repo > ~/bin/repo
chmod a+x ~/bin/repo

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Mine took about 6 hours to sync the first time. But I'm on 1mbps DSL because the 'rents are cheap and don't think we need anything more

A faster connection won't really make you download any faster. I think the fastest I have managed was about half that, and I have a 16+meg connection.

Honestly, once you hit 1meg or so, you get diminishing returns as you go up.

jdcnosse

May 11, 2011
Visit site
A faster connection won't really make you download any faster. I think the fastest I have managed was about half that, and I have a 16+meg connection.

Honestly, once you hit 1meg or so, you get diminishing returns as you go up.

True...but it would help with other reasons ;)

Such as netflix and hulu! :D Either way I don't pay the internet bill, so sadly I can't really complain.

We also have a shoddy connection that goes out a lot more than our cable did, but I have a feeling it's because we're a DSL connection with DHCP instead of PPPoE. idk. We had Verizon but this area got sold off to a smaller company.

Anyways! back on topic. I successfully synced with the IHO repo and built successfully (after the omapmlib error). I also have a question though, how easy/hard is it to add/remove an app before compiling the zip? (like removing the FMradio apk and whatnot)

EDIT: I can't seem to get it to compile now :( I got it to compile a second time after adding BobZhome's kernel and the bootanimation from JerryScript's ROM (the initlogo.rle and bootanimation.zip file) but then I pulled in BobZhome's CMParts repo so I could have the custom carrier label, but now I get this error: (pastebin file for the entire make bacon: http://pastebin.com/fmYKUUyF )

Code:
packages/apps/CMParts/src/com/cyanogenmod/cmparts/activities/UIStatusBarActivity.java:146: cannot find symbol
symbol  : variable CARRIER_LABEL_TYPE
                Settings.System.CARRIER_LABEL_TYPE, 0);
                               ^
packages/apps/CMParts/src/com/cyanogenmod/cmparts/activities/UIStatusBarActivity.java:148: cannot find symbol
symbol  : variable CARRIER_LABEL_CUSTOM_STRING
                Settings.System.CARRIER_LABEL_CUSTOM_STRING);
                               ^
packages/apps/CMParts/src/com/cyanogenmod/cmparts/activities/UIStatusBarActivity.java:153: cannot find symbol
                    Settings.System.CARRIER_LABEL_CUSTOM_STRING,
                                   ^
packages/apps/CMParts/src/com/cyanogenmod/cmparts/activities/UIStatusBarActivity.java:185: cannot find symbol
symbol  : variable CARRIER_LABEL_TYPE
            Settings.System.putInt(getContentResolver(), Settings.System.CARRIER_LABEL_TYPE,
                                                                        ^
packages/apps/CMParts/src/com/cyanogenmod/cmparts/activities/UIStatusBarActivity.java:191: cannot find symbol
                    Settings.System.CARRIER_LABEL_CUSTOM_STRING,

I had synced with IHO and CM (android_frameworks_base and android_vendor_cyanogen) before running this, and each git pull said everything was up to date...so now I can't figure out why it's not finding the symbol...

EDIT 2: Trying something out, so my problem might be fixed. lol

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ife45201