Buying a used phone....

PSYCHOTRON_CB

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I Have an opportunity to snag an EVO used for a decent price but how does that process work? My concern is that if the phone was stolen would sprint know? Or can i just walk into the store and get my phone switched with no hassle?
I just don't want someone walking away with my money when i wont be able to use it. I don't believe it to be stolen but hell you never know right? Anyways thanks for any info you have.

Ryanbradley

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
If the phone is/was stolen.... then its a no go ;)
You better ask the owner for the ESN and check it with Sprint
if its reported stolen/black listed...

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
If you're having second thoughts about the phone... then leave it alone. There are other ways of getting an Evo phone - at a cheap price.

For instance... EBay, Amazon, etc.

** Note **
A stolen phone will never be activated by Sprint.

PSYCHOTRON_CB

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Well i guess i can ask her to meet me at the sprint store hehe that way it is verified. I just didn't want to jump into something without asking you guys.

cloak.n.dagger

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
When I bought a used phone in the past, I had the seller meet me at a Sprint store so Sprint could check the ESN# before I bought it. If it's not stolen then the seller should have no problem meeting you at a Sprint store. Do not give the seller $$$ prior to having Sprint check the ESN or you could end up throwing your $$$ away.

dan330

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
yeah... if ESN has been marked by Sprint as bad.. for any reason...

that phone is no good with sprint.. ever!

meet at sprint store.. That is what I do.

gvndeb60

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
All you have to do is check the ESN, doesn't matter where you buy it used, Amazon, Craigslist, eBay, etc. You can call Sprint and see if the ESN is clean instead of going to the store.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

kg4icg

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
When I bought my EVO a couple of weeks ago from a guy that was advertising it on Craigslist for $300. He had no problem meeting me at a Sprint store near his home. The process went as smooth as glass, and the phone works great.

DNicolasL

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
You can look for good working condition Android phones at swappa.com. You shouldn't have to worry about bad ESN's or anything.

PSYCHOTRON_CB

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
cool i think i might still get it for $250 if she doesnt bite on $225. I am going this route so i dont have to start a new contract & wait to see my options on a tegra2 phone in Q4. Plus this will be a good phone to teach me android custom mods & creating apps etc...
The question now is were do i start lol? My guess is to reset the phone all new again & back it up then find a custom rom to try out. Any suggestions?