Bye bye stock 2.3.6, hello Unnamed Rom

chaplain

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Now once I flash Entropy with CWM I want to flash Unnamed ROM which already has Entropy. I assume this is OK? It will just right over the existing kernal? And then if I ever wanted to upgrade the kernal to a newer version of Entropy, just go ahead and reflash?

Yes, but you can then use CWM to do it, since you have CWM through the kernel in UnNamed (or, if you did not flash UnNamed, you have it from the original kernel flash through Mobile Odin). Or, you can flash again through Mobile Odin.

Last edited:

Entropy

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
Ahhhh. So flashing the Rom via Odin (PC version) will trigger the counter???

Wow OK. So I will do Odin Mobile.

Now once I flash Entropy with CWM I want to flash Unnamed ROM which already has Entropy. I assume this is OK? It will just right over the existing kernal? And then if I ever wanted to upgrade the kernal to a newer version of Entropy, just go ahead and reflash?

Thanks.

Yes, flashing a custom kernel in download mode triggers the counter. Flashing a kernel any other way does not. Flashing a system image in download mode does not.

So the hardest thing is getting CWM onto a device without tripping the counter/warning (if you care about it) - Once you've gotten a CWM-enabled kernel onto the device, it's easy from then on.

Yes, Unnammed will just overwrite the kernel, and if you want the latest and greatest, you can just flash the latest kernel.

ttlphotography

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
so a rooting noob question here. I did the OTA update for my phone. not real pleased that i had to, but thats another story.
In any event, if i read the OP correctly, i can use step #2c or #2d to root my phone and install this rom even after the OTA update?
A little nervous since ive never done this before and want to be sure that im reading and understanding things correctly.
Thanks

chaplain

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
so a rooting noob question here. I did the OTA update for my phone. not real pleased that i had to, but thats another story. In any event, if i read the OP correctly, i can use step #2c or #2d to root my phone and install this rom even after the OTA update? A little nervous since ive never done this before and want to be sure that im reading and understanding things correctly. Thanks

Yes, you can flash any rom after the ota update and the phone will revert to whatever android version the rom is based on, loaded by the rom when you flash it. I recommend downloading the Odin file listed in 2c and keeping it handy, since it is life insurance in case you ever get into trouble flashing anything, or if you somehow brick the phone. You can always use it to return to a rooted stock rom and start over. Be sure to back everything up before flashing the rom. Once you go to rooted stock using 2c, download Titanium Backup from the Market (get the PAID VERSION) and do a full backup of your apps. Search the threads/stickies (look in the Captivate forum stickies also) for how to use TB to restore apps + user data. Read, read, read, then root and flash the rom.

Entropy

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
Not when using TiBu - use only "restore missing apps and data" - if you restore ALL apps and data or system data, all sorts of weird things are likely to happen.

Also, once you've flashed a CWM-enabled kernel, it's advisable to enter CWM recovery and perform a backup (people refer to this as "nandroid backup") from the backup/restore menu.

Reactions: tneil

chaplain

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Not when using TiBu - use only "restore missing apps and data" - if you restore ALL apps and data or system data, all sorts of weird things are likely to happen,

Thanks, Entropy. That is what I do - "restore missing apps with data," and never system apps. I got a bit sloppy there. I guess the OP's phone is not trying to leave the room, since we have not heard from him/her again. ;)

Jaysunder Desales

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
hi sir... please help.. i have rooted phone lenovo A60+ i want to have lighter rom for this phone in order lessen the usage of ram..
fats browsing and great use of apps... im using the stock rom of this phone... hope u can help me with it..

its stock rom is gingrbread2.3.6... hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

tnx in advansce..

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sáenz