Can not access Setting and can not turn on Bluetooth

Dr Tofu Ono

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
Hello, Android Central,
I have the Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4 (without the new KitKat, no custom rom and not rooted) and one day I noticed I could not turn on my Bluetooth. So I tried to go into Setting and the Setting window opens but a blank screen pops up and it just hangs there doing nothing. So before I do a factory reset. I figure I'll ask the people here for help.
I've tried these things and it didn't help:
1) I've turn off the phone and took out the battery
2) I've started uninstalling apps.
Since I can't get into Setting, that's pretty much all I can do, Is there anyway to get into parts of Setting for example VPN, Account Setting, About Device, etc.

I'm also afraid if I do a Factory Reset, I'll still have the same problem and I can't get into Setting which makes the phone pretty useless :'(.

Has anybody had this issue before. Any help would be appreciated.

TIA

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hello, Android Central,
I have the Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4 (without the new KitKat, no custom rom and not rooted) and one day I noticed I could not turn on my Bluetooth. So I tried to go into Setting and the Setting window opens but a blank screen pops up and it just hangs there doing nothing. So before I do a factory reset. I figure I'll ask the people here for help.
I've tried these things and it didn't help:
1) I've turn off the phone and took out the battery
2) I've started uninstalling apps.
Since I can't get into Setting, that's pretty much all I can do, Is there anyway to get into parts of Setting for example VPN, Account Setting, About Device, etc.

I'm also afraid if I do a Factory Reset, I'll still have the same problem and I can't get into Setting which makes the phone pretty useless :'(.

Has anybody had this issue before. Any help would be appreciated.

TIA

I would try clearing cache in recovery. See what happens. Follow instructions for the S3: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...ing-into-recovery-mode-galaxy-s2-s3-tab2.html

Dr Tofu Ono

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
I would try clearing cache in recovery. See what happens. Follow instructions for the S3: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...ing-into-recovery-mode-galaxy-s2-s3-tab2.html

Thanks for your suggestion Golfdriver. I cleared the Cache Partition and it didn't resolve the problem.

Maybe the Bluetooth is really broken that's okay if I can get into Setting. I downloaded a Control Panel app and could get into some part of the Setting which makes this phone bearable.

Any other suggestion?

Thanks,

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for your suggestion Golfdriver. I cleared the Cache Partition and it didn't resolve the problem.

Maybe the Bluetooth is really broken that's okay if I can get into Setting. I downloaded a Control Panel app and could get into some part of the Setting which makes this phone bearable.

Any other suggestion?

Thanks,

Short of a reset, no. Even then, I am inclined to agree that a reset may not fix the problem. You can try Kies, and see if it can recover your OS. Kies is a PC software program from Samsung, available for free download on Samsung's site. I would back up data before doing that.

bigredgonzo

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
You could try pulling down the Notification Bar with two fingers. That opens all the toggles available. If you tap and hold one of the toggles, it will open that area in settings. That may get you somewhere.

Reading your OP, it sounds like you have had the phone a while and have been able to get into settings before, but then it suddenly started doing this weird stuff. If that is the case, I disagree with the above post, I think an FDR from the recovery menu will resolve the issue (unless, of course, there is a physical problem with the phone). IDK about your usage, but I am in and out of settings quite frequently, so having it inaccessible would be a real issue for me. Since the bluetooth radio and the other radios are all built into the same unit, I would think that if one function went out physically, you would have other issues. I would think that trying an FDR would be worth the exercise.

BigRedGonzo

Dr Tofu Ono

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
Thanks Golfdriver and BigRedGonzo,
Kies might or might not work with me. The phone is a BYOD for work and the whole phone is encrypted and protected which is a pain for me. Lost all my data last time I did a factory reset and I couldn't get back into my SD card. Now I have to think about backing everything up externally before I do a factory reset.

My phone was working perfectly up until 4 days ago. (Okay there was always an issue when I listen to podcast, it constantly pause itself. It would drive me crazy that I have to pull out my phone, unlock it and hit play every few minutes.) Now the phone seem to be a little slow. When the phone rings, it doesn't always give me the option to pickup.

I guess this weekend, I'll try the factory reset (after I uninstall all the apps on the phone. just in case it's one of the apps.)

Any other opinions or comments would be helpful.

Thanks,

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Golfdriver and BigRedGonzo,
Kies might or might not work with me. The phone is a BYOD for work and the whole phone is encrypted and protected which is a pain for me. Lost all my data last time I did a factory reset and I couldn't get back into my SD card. Now I have to think about backing everything up externally before I do a factory reset.

My phone was working perfectly up until 4 days ago. (Okay there was always an issue when I listen to podcast, it constantly pause itself. It would drive me crazy that I have to pull out my phone, unlock it and hit play every few minutes.) Now the phone seem to be a little slow. When the phone rings, it doesn't always give me the option to pickup.

I guess this weekend, I'll try the factory reset (after I uninstall all the apps on the phone. just in case it's one of the apps.)

Any other opinions or comments would be helpful.

Thanks,

Can you access settings by going into the app drawer?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using AC Forums mobile app

MrHost

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Decrypt the SD card and you won't have to back that up. Just remove the card before doing the FDR. Not required but to be safe. Make sure you can read it in a reader first after you decrypt the card through the phone.

Posted via Android Central App

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
No, I'm not able to get to it in the app drawer either.

I am really not inclined to think a simple reset is going to work. You can try. Nothing wrong with that, as the firmware recovery in Kies will probably wipe the system anyway. I would back everything up that you can, while you can.

Dr Tofu Ono

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
FDR did not wipe the data on the sd card. The data wasn't recoverable because it was encrypted. Yes, I can't believe my work didn't think about this problem when they implement it.

Decrypt the SD card and you won't have to back that up. Just remove the card before doing the FDR. Not required but to be safe. Make sure you can read it in a reader first after you decrypt the card through the phone.

Posted via Android Central App

Dr Tofu Ono

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
I figure, I'll reply back to my solution for those of you who has the same problem.

I've shipped my phone to Samsung to be fixed (Thank goodness it was still under warranty)
Looks like the issue was the Bluetooth itself.
SOLUTION: Replaced Component - Replaced PBA

The phone came back and it seems like it's running better then new. Not sure if it's because of the KitKat upgrade (came back with Kitkat on it) but it now runs fast and my other problem (Podcast and watching video) was also resolved. (the phone probable always had a bad bluetooth on it.)

I want to thank everyone who tried to help me with this issue.

Thanks again

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abhishek397