Can we expect a notch or no for the Pixel 4 XL?

ahaxton

May 10, 2010
Visit site
If Skinomi is to be believed (and they've been around for a bit), here's what we'd be looking at for the Pixel 4 (though the screen shows the old school 3 buttons, double front camera even on the 4)
View attachment 303839
.......that render makes no sense. Assuming the screen protector only protects the screen and not the black bezel part, why would there be a notch at the top and bottom for a speaker that it doesn't cover?

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
.......that render makes no sense. Assuming the screen protector only protects the screen and not the black bezel part, why would there be a notch at the top and bottom for a speaker that it doesn't cover?

I think that may be a faulty assumption. Generally speaking, manufacturers aren't going to specifically avoid covering the black bezel portion without reason. If they can go true edge to edge (other than accommodations for hole punch, speakers, etc), it makes it easier for consumers to get a perfect fit and allows for greater protection, providing their product with a greater value. The reason why many SP's don't go edge to edge is the the difficulty in conforming to the rounded edge nature of modern smartphones.

Golurk

Apr 12, 2019
Visit site
What if there's a notch and a hole punch ?

How is that even possible? Do you mean a notch on one and a hole punch on the other?

I would prefer a slim top bezel to an iPhone or Pixel 3 XL style notch but a hole punch would also be perfectly fine with me.

I think Google’s learnt that people don’t like their notches XD

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
How is that even possible? Do you mean a notch on one and a hole punch on the other?

I would prefer a slim top bezel to an iPhone or Pixel 3 XL style notch but a hole punch would also be perfectly fine with me.

I think Google’s learnt that people don’t like their notches XD

I was joking Ha :D

anon(10274434)

Jul 10, 2017
Visit site
If the pics in the OP are correct - there will be top bezel - which is fine with me - what EXACTLY is on the bezel will be revealed to us at the proper time and we must be patient <- this statement is a bunch on BS.

The P3 XL has the notch - the 10+ has the hole - I use a solid black wallpaper so neither are really obvious.
Biggest issue in my world is gonna be which one to I trade in for the P4 - OR - do I skip the P4 ?????

(My Forum Spouse is already indicating I should trade the P3XL in on a P4XL AND get one for her too).

If the past is any indication, we should be seeing the final P4 version in about a month.

OT - I literally swap back and forth between the 2 phones daily - The "old phone me" likes the Pixel because I have 3 or so years experience with it - the "new phone me" likes the 10+ because I just do - 🤔

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
If the pics in the OP are correct - there will be top bezel - which is fine with me - what EXACTLY is on the bezel will be revealed to us at the proper time and we must be patient <- this statement is a bunch on BS.

The P3 XL has the notch - the 10+ has the hole - I use a solid black wallpaper so neither are really obvious.
Biggest issue in my world is gonna be which one to I trade in for the P4 - OR - do I skip the P4 ?????

(My Forum Spouse is already indicating I should trade the P3XL in on a P4XL AND get one for her too).

If the past is any indication, we should be seeing the final P4 version in about a month.

OT - I literally swap back and forth between the 2 phones daily - The "old phone me" likes the Pixel because I have 3 or so years experience with it - the "new phone me" likes the 10+ because I just do -
I'll be your forum spouse, just send a pixel 4 my way :)) Mike agreed also

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sáenz