Can't install Facebook app

Tanay Saluja

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
I recently uninstalled the Facebook app. Now I can't reinstall. It says installation error - 504. I've tried clearing cache of play as well as the residual files of the app but I am still unable to install it again. I am not rooted. I am currently running 5.0.2.

xceeder

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
Yes. I tried uninstalling messenger as well. I also tried to sideload it
Then the only thing I can suggest is to use the web version or there is an app called Facebook lite if you want me to send you the link for it then quote my comment so I get notified and I'll pm you the download link...

Sent from my Nexus 7

Apr 19, 2015
Visit site
You could also try installing an old version of Facebook via .apk file and then having that re update itself into the latest version. Sounds backwards I know but has fixed a few apps for me...

There are other app stores you can download too such as the mentioned Amazon one, but also SlideME and Mobogenie

Posted via the Android Central App

Apr 19, 2015
Visit site
Also try installing Facebook, clearing the apps cache (the cache of the individual app), then restart your phone (don't launch Facebook yet). Uninstall Facebook, reboot again. Then install and run it again.

Posted via the Android Central App

Stewart Webb

May 25, 2015
Visit site
I have tried all these ideas. Best option. Back up all your phone with Google, and do a factory reset. Worked very well for me, solved the Facebook problem and speeded up my phone. The only way I found to cure the problem...

Chunksdchamp

Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
I recently uninstalled the Facebook app. Now I can't reinstall. It says installation error - 504. I've tried clearing cache of play as well as the residual files of the app but I am still unable to install it again. I am not rooted. I am currently running 5.0.2.

I have one solution and here it is. Just install Facebook app in other mobile where its getting installed. You need to have file explorer or other file manager software installed in that mob where app is installed because we need to transfer apk file from that mob to mob where we want to install. You can transfer it through bluetooth. If you also have file explorer installed then it would be great. Also you can transfer apk file from other mobiles where its already installed. It solved my problem hope so solves everyone's.

Chunksdchamp

Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
I have one solution and here it is. Just install Facebook app in other mobile where its getting installed. You need to have file explorer or other file manager software installed in that mob where app is installed because we need to transfer apk file from that mob to mob where we want to install. You can transfer it through bluetooth. If you also have file explorer installed then it would be great. Also you can transfer apk file from other mobiles where its already installed. It solved my problem hope so solves everyone's.

Deepak Sahu

Aug 29, 2015
Visit site
My initial error:
Screenshot_2015-08-28-00-00-38.png

1) Uninstall Facebook messenger application.
2) Clear junk file using Clean master application.
3) Reboot the device.
4) Now install Facebook from play store.

It is working fine for me :)

Rajeev G

Sep 5, 2015
Visit site
Hi, this trick worked. thanks. here are the steps that i used to install facebook again
1. Un-installed facebook messenger
2. used clean master to clean junk files
3. rebooted my device
4. installed facebook
5. installed messenger

thanks for your suggestion

Sean Golden

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
I had exact same problem recently, what I did was a little different but same none the less I used an app called es file explorer and found that in the data/media/0 folder i had a leftover folder named com.facebook.orca and com.facebook.katana I deleted those folder and also look in the data/data folder for those folders delete them and then try a reinstall worked for me.

madhav maran

Sep 22, 2015
Visit site
hi der, i had the same issues with moto g2. was checkin all forums fr help. tried all basic troubleshooting. nothing solved as ur case.
finally took google play store support, he too couldnt help atlast he transferred my call to motorola support. they did it...
if you are having reinstallation error with facebook app, aft trying all basic trouble shootin option follow this... no need to restore factory settings...
jst u have to 'clear cache partition on ur phone' using boot options on ur phone.
for moto G2 i will post the following instructions... it will erase none of ur data... so no need to worry.
1. power off ur phone
2. press the volume down button and then press power button hold both together fr 5 secs and then release
3. you will re-directed to boot menu
4. use volume down button to highlight 'recovery option' from the menu displayed.
5. volume button will select the option, now press volume up when recovery option is highlighted
6. new screen will appear with android logo showing 'no command'
7. now press volume up button and then power button and hold both together for 5 secs
8. new menu will appear. use volume down key to highlight 'clear cache partition'
9. power button will select the option here. select clear cache partition option
10. ur cache thing will be wiped clear.
11. fone might automatically restart, else wait for sometime untill cache partion has been cleared message displays.
12. then highlight reboot phone now, select using power button
13. fone should restart.
14. now install ur facebook app
15. it will install without error -504 n -501

thank you all. it will work..

madhav maran

Sep 22, 2015
Visit site
hi der, i had the same issues with moto g2. was checkin all forums fr help. tried all basic troubleshooting. nothing solved as ur case.
finally took google play store support, he too couldnt help atlast he transferred my call to motorola support. they did it...
if you are having reinstallation error with facebook app, aft trying all basic trouble shootin option follow this... no need to restore factory settings...
jst u have to 'clear cache partition on ur phone' using boot options on ur phone.
for moto G2 i will post the following instructions... it will erase none of ur data... so no need to worry.
1. power off ur phone
2. press the volume down button and then press power button hold both together fr 5 secs and then release
3. you will re-directed to boot menu
4. use volume down button to highlight 'recovery option' from the menu displayed.
5. volume button will select the option, now press volume up when recovery option is highlighted
6. new screen will appear with android logo showing 'no command'
7. now press volume up button and then power button and hold both together for 5 secs
8. new menu will appear. use volume down key to highlight 'clear cache partition'
9. power button will select the option here. select clear cache partition option
10. ur cache thing will be wiped clear.
11. fone might automatically restart, else wait for sometime untill cache partion has been cleared message displays.
12. then highlight reboot phone now, select using power button
13. fone should restart.
14. now install ur facebook app
15. it will install without error -504 n -501

thank you all. it will work..

khushalee

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
Even tried the older way install apk file of older version .it does get install but wnt open n still getting same error -504 did all the steps like uninstalling messager n clearin cache still wnt work

keith0029

Oct 31, 2015
Visit site
Thats the steps to clear cache partition in moto g 2nd gen as motorola advices

Back to Previous Page

How do I clear Cache Partition on my device?

Lollipop Steps

With the phone powered off, press and hold the Volume Down button and the Power button at the same time until the device turns on.
You will see the word "Start" with an arrow around it.
Press the Volume Down button twice to highlight "Recovery mode"
Press the Volume Up button to restart into Recovery mode.
You'll see an image of an Android robot with a red exclamation mark and the words "No command."
While holding down the Power button, press the Volume Up button.
Use the volume buttons to scroll to "wipe cache partition" and press the Power button to select it.
"Reboot system now" will be highlighted, press the Power button to select it.
KitKat Steps

This will remove any temporary files that may be causing the problem, but will not delete your files or settings.

1. With the phone powered off, press the VOL DOWN KEY for 2-3 seconds then POWER key then release.

2. The device will display different BOOT OPTIONS

3. Use the VOL DOWN Key to SCROLL to Recovery and VOL UP Key to select

Tip: If the device reboots, you may have waited to long to make a selection, you will need to begin the process again.

4. The device will display the Motorola logo and then the Android in distress ( logo with Exclamation mark)

5. Press and hold the VOL UP key for 10-15 seconds. While still holding the VOL UP key tap and release the POWER key

Tip: You can try this step, holding the phone in landscape. If you are stuck on step 6, try a force reboot by pressing the Power key and Vol Down key, and start the process again.

6. The device will display additional menu options (Text will appear in BLUE)

7. Use the VOL DOWN Key to scroll to wipe cache partition and the POWER Key to select this option

8. The device will then perform the partition wipe

9. The device will reboot and start the normal power up sequence

I followed the steps but i had no luck updating facebook from g play store so far...My moto g after clearing cache partition is a bit faster by the way. :p
Side upadateting from other sources failed to ....Even unistalling and istalling new ver was i no go...but........
I accidently installed a new ver of facebook after unistalling the old following the recovery steps but not all the way to to end i have to confirm the steps and i could come up with a new post how i did it .....

SnapplerX

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
I have the same problem every time I update the facebook app. What works for me is pretty simple, and I don't know why it works but I just make sure the screen doesn't turn off during the update, and don't switch to any other app. Basically don't let it update in the background, and this seems to work.