Car dock vs. Multimedia Dock

hls811

May 14, 2010
Visit site
I just got a DX and was looking into getting a dock for my car, I know they made a specific car dock for it, but I had a few questions for those that have that and the multimedia dock..

I guess my first question is, how does the DX know the difference between the docks? It seems like it puts it into Clock mode with the Multimedia dock and NAV/Car mode with the Car dock..

On the Car dock, does the Suction cup mount come off?? I don't want it to be on my windshield, I have a spot on my console where it would sit nicely without blocking my front window; I was thinking of just getting the multimedia dock because I know that sits flat, but if its going to go into clock mode each time I think it'll annoy me. Also, does it have to be 'locked' in each time or can you just drop it in the dock and pull it out easily.. (the pics I've seen looks like it has something on top locking it in place...

And finally, does the multimedia dock have an AUX output like the car dock? I do want to run it through my AUX port in my car - not sure if thats do-able with the multimedia dock.

m0nti13

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I believe the car dock and the media dock trigger the different dock modes by a magnet... I think the magnet for the car dock is near the camera bump, and it's near the bottom for the media dock...

The car docks suction mount does come off... I have it connected to a air vent mount that i was using with my old touch pro... it wasn't a perfect fit, I think there are 2 slots on the back of the motorolla car dock but one "peg" on the mount... but it fit, so it's very stable... Then I mounted that to a pro clip mount, but that took a bit of customization..

And the phone doesn't need to be locked in I've driven often without pushing the top holder arm down... it was pretty stable for me...

I don't use it with my stereo, so i'm not sure about the aux output, but from what I remember it does not...

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
little late
two different magnets. if you hold the phone close to either the media dock or the car dock it will go into the respective mode before you even connect it.

I use an AUX in my car for my head unit. It's a bit kludgey because you have to dock, then plugin the aux cable.
I would have loved to have seen some kind of integrating via usb so i didn't have to attach a cable every time.
but i got use to it.
Side note, I'm in Maryland and we just went hands free. works great via speaker phone with the phone call coming through the car speakers.
Nav is nice like that too.

I have had the phone pop off the dock if the top latch isn't down...that being said my it wasn't during normal driving. big pot hole.

hope that helps, i love both the media and car docks.

hls811

May 14, 2010
Visit site
thanks for the responses, I ended up buying both, I love the car dock, I do wish the AUX was directly in the dock, it would be MUCH more convenient but I deal with it.

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
yeah, they should be able to do it, right?
at the very least of the aux went from the head unit, or wherever it is on the stereo, into the back of the car dock and then into the phone via HDMI...that should work right?
that' assuming there isn't a way to put AUX through USB but that could be possible too.