Charging Issue using the Griffin Dock (for first gen Moto X)?

nemov

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
Got the phone today. Set it on a charger on my desk that's connected to my laptop dock. Phone keeps saying charging and then stop and then starts over and over. Plug is fine.

Battery is draining. Any ideas?

On2Vegas

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Re: Charging Issue on the Dock

Are you using the plug that came with the phone? If not, some 3rd-party plugs have been known to work erratically with devices.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Is it plugged into a USB 2.0 port on your laptop?

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site

Your laptop dock may not have enough power to charge it properly. It also may be switching from charging to data transfer, thus showing charging sometimes and not sometimes.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

This is a Griffin Dock that worked fine for the original Moto X. In fact, it's the dock they recommend for the Moto X 1st Gen.

Does it have those issues when you bypass the dock and just connect it via USB on the Surface dock directly to the phone?

On2Vegas

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site

This is a Griffin Dock that worked fine for the original Moto X. In fact, it's the dock they recommend for the Moto X 1st Gen.

I wouldn't just assume you're not going to run into an issue with a dock that worked with an older generation phone. I guess my real question is, does it behave that way on the supplied charger.

jimbo1mcm

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site

Got the phone today. Set it on a charger on my desk that's connected to my laptop dock. Phone keeps saying charging and then stop and then starts over and over. Plug is fine.

Battery is draining. Any ideas?

This shouldn't happen so soon, but check the charging port. Sometimes a piece of lint or manufacturing gets stuck in there. Use a wooded point. Good luck.

nemov

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site

Does it have those issues when you bypass the dock and just connect it via USB on the Surface dock directly to the phone?

Yeah, I tried that.

Interesting what I just found...

If I set the phone on the dock to charge when the lock screen is displaying it won't charge.

However, if I unlock the phone and place it on the charger it charges. It keeps charging when when the screen finally idles and the lock screen comes up. Also, if I tap the power button to turn off the screen it seems to keep charging.

Looks like there's a bug in the lock screen.

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
I hope I don't run into this issue when the Griffin dock is plugged into the wall with its adapter! I've got 3 between home and work.

globster2000

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
Griffon dock from Motorola for moto x 1st gen? Is this the same as the griffin car dock? If so, Forget about it.. i never had sooo much problems as i did with that dock in terms of charging.... never again.

Posted via the Android Central App

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Griffon dock from Motorola for moto x 1st gen? Is this the same as the griffin car dock? If so, Forget about it.. i never had sooo much problems as i did with that dock in terms of charging.... never again.

Never had a problem using the Griffin desktop dock for the first gen Moto X with my first gen Moto X, first gen Moto G, and second gen Moto E.

globster2000

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
Never had a problem using the Griffin desktop dock for the first gen Moto X with my first gen Moto X, first gen Moto G, and second gen Moto E.

Ah desktop... it must be night and day if u compared it to the CAR dock.

nemov

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
Most definitely the desktop charger. It doesn't seem to be an issue with dock. It has something to do with the lock screen I think.

nemov

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
Possibly Daydream?

I turned off daydream and it's not the issue.

Charger is working since I know the workaround. However, if I turn off the screen and set it on the dock it goes into the charging/not charging cycle. If I unlock the phone and set it on the dock it works just fine.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Finally have my Moto X Pure Edition with me at work and put it on the Griffin dock.

It's charging. Daydream did not activate.

I do have this plugged into a wall outlet, rather than a USB port on my HP laptop dock though.