Charging options

pelon0427

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
I am getting a few 10.1 tablets for my construction project managers and the guy in the store told me that it is not good to charge the tablets from your car charger so is that true? He told me that on the new tablets it will ruin the battery and wanted me to buy a portable Sony charger. Is he just trying to up sell or is he telling me the truth? I have the smaller 7" tablet and use the car charger all the time and have never had an issue.

Thanks for your responses.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I've never heard of that as a concern. Some car chargers are rapid chargers, so you typically want to make sure you're not charging at a current that is much higher than the battery's mAh rating. So in other words, since the Tab 4 has a 6800 mAh battery, you should avoid charging with a current higher than 6.8 A (but I don't think any rapid charger gets that high).

Did the guy elaborate on why he thought it was bad to charge a device in the car?

pelon0427

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Unfortunately I was not the one who was talking to the guy at the store it my dad he went to pick up the tablets and I told him what to get. He was supposed to get 3 tablets and that is all but since I was not with him the salesman talked him into getting 3 portable chargers for $100.00 each and then sold him 3 - 32g micro SD cards for $80.00 each so when he came back to our office I was just a little shocked that someone would take advantage of someone like that. My dad does not know anything about this stuff he just got his first smart phone this year and he only got it because some one laughed at him at the bank when he got a phone call on his flip phone lol.
I am taking back the portable chargers and SD cards this morning.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Ouch! Besides the chargers--$80 32 GB cards?!? That's kind of outrageous. You can get excellent 32 GB cards for $20 these days. That salesman is probably the type who will also try to convince you that $100 gold-plated Monster HDMI cables are far superior to basic $10 ones.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OSCAR DE BUG