Cheapest all-day battery life device: Windows laptop or Android tablet?

Cheapest all-day battery life device

• Total voters

def_now

Dec 3, 2018
Visit site
I am looking for a device mostly to browse the web, read eBook and magazine PDFs and watch YouTube on weekend at home. So a WiFi-only device is fine.

However, on weekdays, I may bring it out for some productive work like document, spreadsheet and presentation slides creation using Google Docs, Google Sheets and Google Slides. The area where I work may not have Internet connectivity from a public WiFi hotspot, or even a power outlet. Thus, I need a device that I can use for 8 hours on a full charge. I am also not sure if the Android apps for Google Docs, Google Sheets and Google Slides can work offline without network connectivity.

I do not care much for high resolution display, or the front/rear camera which I do not ever use. They can give me a 0.3 megapixel or 2 megapixel camera for all I care. I am happy with a 100+ DPI IPS display.

Currently, I also have an old Windows 7 laptop dating back to 2011. Its battery is dead and can only last 30 minutes on a full charge.

I have 3 options:

1. Buy an 10 inch Chuwi/Teclast/Alldocube Android tablet + USB keyboard with $160
  2. Buy a Acer/Lenovo/ASUS 11.6 inch Windows Atom/Celeron laptop with $270 - $290
  3. Buy a cheap third party replacement battery for my old Windows laptop with $30

For option 3, I do not think a $30 replacement battery is a 9-cell or 6-cell high capacity one that allows me to last 8 hours. I believe it may be a 3 cell battery that can do 3 to 5 hours at best.

I am looking for the cheapest option that best fit my needs. Which would you recommend? My personal gut feel is that an Android tablet would suit me best since it would do what I need and cost less than the cheapest Windows laptops. Cheap Windows Atom/Celeron laptops would probably not be able to reach 8 hours of battery life which an Android tablet may be able to.

Advice and recommendation are appreciated. Thanks.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I am looking for a device mostly to browse the web, read eBook and magazine PDFs and watch YouTube on weekend at home. So a WiFi-only device is fine.

However, on weekdays, I may bring it out for some productive work like document, spreadsheet and presentation slides creation using Google Docs, Google Sheets and Google Slides. The area where I work may not have Internet connectivity from a public WiFi hotspot, or even a power outlet. Thus, I need a device that I can use for 8 hours on a full charge. I am also not sure if the Android apps for Google Docs, Google Sheets and Google Slides can work offline without network connectivity.

I do not care much for high resolution display, or the front/rear camera which I do not ever use. They can give me a 0.3 megapixel or 2 megapixel camera for all I care. I am happy with a 100+ DPI IPS display.

Currently, I also have an old Windows 7 laptop dating back to 2011. Its battery is dead and can only last 30 minutes on a full charge.

I have 3 options:

1. Buy an 10 inch Chuwi/Teclast/Alldocube Android tablet + USB keyboard with $160
  2. Buy a Acer/Lenovo/ASUS 11.6 inch Windows Atom/Celeron laptop with $270 - $290
  3. Buy a cheap third party replacement battery for my old Windows laptop with $30

For option 3, I do not think a $30 replacement battery is a 9-cell or 6-cell high capacity one that allows me to last 8 hours. I believe it may be a 3 cell battery that can do 3 to 5 hours at best.

I am looking for the cheapest option that best fit my needs. Which would you recommend? My personal gut feel is that an Android tablet would suit me best since it would do what I need and cost less than the cheapest Windows laptops. Cheap Windows Atom/Celeron laptops would probably not be able to reach 8 hours of battery life which an Android tablet may be able to.

Advice and recommendation are appreciated. Thanks.
Depends on what you're working on, but Android tablets are indeed capable of reaching 10hrs uptime, but these are high end Android tablets with larger batteries.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Sounds like a Chromebook would be perfect for you. Many Chromebooks can get 8-10 hours out of a single charge. Don't go for a cheap Windows laptop -- they're sluggish, and you have to deal with all of the headaches associated with Windows updates.