Chrome browser "infected" ???

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
My hubby's phone was driving us insane with notifications constantly going off day and night. I dug in and tried to find the source, uninstalled some apps, did a Malware Bytes scan and could find nothing in the apps. When I turned off the Chrome browser the annoying notifications stopped. How can I "clean the browser" app so I can enable Chrome again? It's an app you can't delete. Or do you suggest just putting a different browser on his phone? He's got a Moto phone but I forget which model. Thank you!

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
These are most likely site notifications (no malware or virus, just visited sites that someone clicked AGREE on sending notifications). You can always check which sites are pushing notifications to your Chrome sessions by opening a Chrome tab, tapping the three dot menu button on the right, select Settings, scroll down and open Site Settings and find the Notifications category. There you should see which sites are blocked and allowed to send you notifications (as well as some other options for how to handle these automatically). You can also remove sites from the Allowed list.

mesocyclone30

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
Absolutely agree with SpookDroid. A site is always supposed to ask for permission to give notifications, which I always decline. I have enough notifications from apps -- I don't need any from websites, even legit ones!
I know right?
My GF has constant websites popping up on chrome browser and the samsung browser all the time. every time i try to help her with her phone stuff keeps popping up in my face. i found an app she had that had bad reviews about that happening so uninstalled it. I thought i fixed it but now it's still doing it and i haven't found which app it is. she says it does it all the time.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I know right?
My GF has constant websites popping up on chrome browser and the samsung browser all the time. every time i try to help her with her phone stuff keeps popping up in my face. i found an app she had that had bad reviews about that happening so uninstalled it. I thought i fixed it but now it's still doing it and i haven't found which app it is. she says it does it all the time.
You can try to pin-point the source by long-pressing a notification instead of opening it. This will give you app-related info/options and can go from there.

mesocyclone30

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
You can try to pin-point the source by long-pressing a notification instead of opening it. This will give you app-related info/options and can go from there.
Have to try that, except it's not a notification. The browser opens up with random web pages when I'm trying to do other things.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
For unwanted browser popups, try clearing the browser history and cookies "from the beginning of time", both on the phone and on any computer where Chrome is installed. For good measure, clear the app cache and storage of the browser in Settings>Apps.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Have to try that, except it's not a notification. The browser opens up with random web pages when I'm trying to do other things.
And also check your Network settings to make sure a malicious DNS server address or proxy hasn't been active (this would be more the case if it happens on a specific device rather than all of them). If it happens on a specific network, then that would have to be checked on the router itself.

mesocyclone30

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
For unwanted browser popups, try clearing the browser history and cookies "from the beginning of time", both on the phone and on any computer where Chrome is installed. For good measure, clear the app cache and storage of the browser in Settings>Apps.
so a browser app whatever that is, could be loading random websites and bringing the window up at random times when trying to look at other apps? I'll have to look at her phone next time she comes over. I tried looking in the browser before but couldn't figure out what could be causing it. i know she has a lot of websites in her browser settings. not sure if she clicks yes for notifications. i always click block. i have enough notifications from apps don't need every other website bugging me.

mesocyclone30

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
Are the popups occurring only while using the browser, or are they also appearing even when using some other app? If it's the latter, then it's due to some app that was installed. See if this helps: Full screen ads. How to find the culprit. - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com
I'm trying to say I'm looking at other apps, and then the browser comes up with random websites. Probably scam sites. Close it out, go to another app, and then it happens again. Technically it's not a popup.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Ok, that's most likely due to some app that she installed that included some kind of adware. You may have to uninstall apps one by one until the problem goes away, since this kind of thing can be hard to pinpoint. I'd start with games that aren't from well-known developers. Other common culprits include 3rd party file managers, gallery apps, battery saver/phone "cleaner" apps, and flashlight apps, to name a few categories.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali