Close all apps please

Gob Shite

Feb 24, 2020
Visit site
I'm on Android 10 and and when when you click the Close all task button it has an annoying habit of not closing videos or Google maps and instead just minimising them as you can see in the picture, then it takes me another 3 or 4 hours to actually close those applications, is there a setting that when I close all apps that all apps are closed including Google maps and YouTube videos and videos playing in Google Chrome
https://photos.app.goo.gl/sATwNQijookPkKjb6

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Which phone is that? Chances are that it's a system-level issue. You might need to use a 3rd party app for that kind of thing.

Incidentally, is there a particular reason why you want to kill all apps? As you probably know, although it's helpful in Windows, it's not particularly advantageous in Android.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, I can't say that I've looked for this particular issue because I never try to close all apps.

EDIT: OK, I tested it on my Galaxy A32 5G, and the Close All option in the App Overview did in fact close all apps, including YouTube (which was streaming a video at the time). So which phone are you seeing this issue with?

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Have you not seen this before?

Anyone?

Android 10 on my pixel 1 didn't always close all apps when I hit the clear all.... but 9 did. That was a bug that came with the upgrade to 10. A factory reset might of cleared the problem, but it was never a big enough issue for me to bother with a reset. I never had enough apps open anyway for it to really matter.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
In the photo you've shown that would be normal behavior. Maps will not close, swipe up or "Close All Apps" while navigating. It may default to the PIP screen you've shown or it may just continue in the background from the notification bar. Even if you disabled PIP as mustang7757 suggests it will still be running in the background from the navigation bar. You have to stop navigating and then it will behave the same as other apps.

As for YouTube, if you have "Premium" there is an option in the settings that allows it to play in the background. It will play through PIP, app closed with no image and while using another app. That is actually supposed to be one of the perks of the Premium service. Stopping the playback before exiting the app should allow you to close the app even with the "Close All Apps" option. In the YouTube app check your settings to find the one that allows it to play in the background.

Why does it take you 3 or 4 hours to close these apps? Is it because you don't realize they're still running, after clearing your recent list you're having difficulty finding them or something else?

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Vid they might be saying it takes a few hours before the closed apps disappear from the recents screen..... that's how 10 worked for me, sometimes the apps would disappear as soon as I closed them, usually they'd take up to several hours, and sometimes they would never close.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
@J Dubbs thanks for your experience input. While I use close all apps more now I don't remember using it much in the past. And as far as I know when I did everything closed. Well mostly. I do remember a time, not what OS or device, when I would clear all apps and then reopen the recent list only to find it repopulated. When this happened to me they were different apps. Kinda like my recent list had a second page that wasn't displayed until I cleared the first page but that's the only... glitch? I've ever noticed. Even so it didn't last past that device or OS, which ever may have been responsible for it.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
justinedwards