Confirmed: TouchWiz update on August 3rd

PjD#AC

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
it says "all", so i'm thinking yes.

No doubt your right, it says that....
But...
The header of the announcement says.. "Samsung Mobile Announces Availability of Major Software Update for Award-Winning Samsung Galaxy Tab? 10.1 WiFi Edition"

So idk.. lol.... Guess we will find out on Friday....

NHLou

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I am very ambivalent about this update. The feature I was mainly interested in was the mini app tray and it from what I am reading in early reviews, it is not customizable. Big bummer! The app tray apps are task manager, calendar, world clock, pen memo, calculator and the music player. Ultimately, I would prefer to stick with stock Honeycomb for now, and will, at least for the time being. However, I am also hearing that future updates will require an upgrade to TW.

Randy T

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Does the leaked version require the tab to be rooted?

Just to make a point, the "leaked" version, Bonsai is actually a fully functioning ROM that is built on the stock ROM. So it is more than a "leaked" version. We're doubling performance, improving battery life and bringing functionality that won't be available until well in the future by backporting kernel changes and other enhancements, well out of scope for the hardware vendor. The point is that it is more than just redistributing a "leak".

To answer your question, to install the Bonsai Android distribution, you will need to have a recovery/update environment that allows you to install software other than the signed releases from the vendor. The vendors seem to slowly be turning loose of that control, so it is easier to replace the updater that comes on the stock device with a modified version that allows you to install the operating system of your choice. Kind of like your ability to buy a laptop without a locked BIOS.

Getting "root" means more than just changing the recovery/update function of the tablet. Getting "root" is closer to the equivalence of having Administrator privileged on your laptop. Something that most of us with computers would not consider being without. While it is really not necessary to have "root"/Administrator privileges to run Bonsai, do you really want to install an operating system on your computer that you don't have the ability to install the software that you want to run?

I know that is a long answer to a simple question, but it is not as black and white as it has been represented over the past several years. Hope that helps.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
No doubt your right, it says that....
But...
The header of the announcement says.. "Samsung Mobile Announces Availability of Major Software Update for Award-Winning Samsung Galaxy Tab? 10.1 WiFi Edition"

So idk.. lol.... Guess we will find out on Friday....

I suspect Verizon now has to give it's seal of approval before it can be made available for the LTE tabs...

Bigum1969

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Just to make a point, the "leaked" version, Bonsai is actually a fully functioning ROM that is built on the stock ROM. So it is more than a "leaked" version. We're doubling performance, improving battery life and bringing functionality that won't be available until well in the future by backporting kernel changes and other enhancements, well out of scope for the hardware vendor. The point is that it is more than just redistributing a "leak".

To answer your question, to install the Bonsai Android distribution, you will need to have a recovery/update environment that allows you to install software other than the signed releases from the vendor. The vendors seem to slowly be turning loose of that control, so it is easier to replace the updater that comes on the stock device with a modified version that allows you to install the operating system of your choice. Kind of like your ability to buy a laptop without a locked BIOS.

Getting "root" means more than just changing the recovery/update function of the tablet. Getting "root" is closer to the equivalence of having Administrator privileged on your laptop. Something that most of us with computers would not consider being without. While it is really not necessary to have "root"/Administrator privileges to run Bonsai, do you really want to install an operating system on your computer that you don't have the ability to install the software that you want to run?

I know that is a long answer to a simple question, but it is not as black and white as it has been represented over the past several years. Hope that helps.

Thanks so much for the explanation...

But, I still don't understand how to install it. I downloaded it but I don't know what to do next.

Is there an easy process for this?

Thanks in advance for any help.

cidsou

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Is the Bonsai version only for Wifi or can it be applied to a Verion 4G LTE tab. Very new to this arena so I'm trying to understand the pros and cons. Did not find a definitive answer to the question but my feeling was Wifi only.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
erinrustick71