Connect S20 Ultra to AV Receiver

Zolotoy

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
I want to use my S20 as a streamer for hi res music. If I connect the phone to a receiver will I get sound quality above 40 kHz? Or I need an external DAC?

Thanks

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
In settings>sounds and vibration>can select a Bluetooth device such as a speaker
ea05c7fadc50135daac6639c47134258.jpg

Reactions: Laura Knotek

Zolotoy

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
First, I am not sure I can connect a phone to AV receiver using Bluetooth. Second, sound quality. Even if I can, will I be getting hi res quality meaning anything above 48kHz?

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
First, I am not sure I can connect a phone to AV receiver using Bluetooth. Second, sound quality. Even if I can, will I be getting hi res quality meaning anything above 48kHz?
48kHz? Do you mean 48kbps? Maybe I've missed something... Or maybe you're setting this system up for a dog...

Instead of making us guess and then saying you're receiver doesn't support that connectibity type, why don't you let us know what type of inputs your receiver does have?

Zolotoy

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
No, it's not 48 kbps. I am taking about lossless Hi Res music.
Hi-Res Lossless audio is 24-bit with a sample rate of 192 kHz
So, if I use Bluetooth to connect the phone to the receiver am I going to lose any sound quality?

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Oh, you're talking about sample rate! Bluetooth will always be worse than using a wire. How much worse will depend on your receiver and the codec you can use.

gomezz

May 8, 2021
Visit site
As already suggested why not tell us the make and model of AV receiver or tell us what inputs it has? It may well have RCA inputs that you could use. TBH though an AV receiver will never be as good as proper audiophile hi-fi amp and speakers so worrying about the quality of the connection stream is the least of your concerns if you want the best reproduction.

Zolotoy

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
My receiver is Pioneer 505 with high-end speakers. If you are saying that Av receiver is not as good as proper audiophile hi-fi amp does that mean the phone itself is not actually producing hi res music? Another words, without an external DAC there is no way to get it out of a phone?

Zolotoy

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
Another thing. If I connect the phone to the receiver using usbc to rca cable what kind of sound I am going to get? I mean does the DAC built into the phone do all the processing before sending the signal to the usbc connector?

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I think a USB-C to RCA adapter would need to have a DAC built into it. The signal coming out of the USB port is digital.

Gomezz was criticising your AV receiver, not your phone.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
IF it's USB-c to RCA it should have do the conversion. but you're probably gonna get better results with a dedicated DAC. I can't recommend specific stuff... I use Sonos gear lol

Reactions: Zolotoy

Zolotoy

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
I have experimented on another system using iPhone. The phone was connected to a Yamaha receiver with lightning connector to HDMI. The receiver was showing 48 kHz for the input signal despite the phone showing lossless hi res. Is that what I am going to have with S20 as well?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiconnolly