Constantly asked to unlock phone even for trusted devices

Nov 3, 2022
Visit site
This new problem will kill people. I'm driving, I can't be distracted to unlock the phone everyone I want to make a call with my aftershox headphones. The ARE a trusted device already. Android s 22.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Irony of making a safety comment while asking about an unsafe practice aside... You mention you're driving; would the phone be connecting automatically to your vehicle (BT profiles usually only support one device for audio)? What about any apps setting you into Driving mode that may lock the phone on purpose (you know... since you shouldn't be using it while driving anyway)? Have you tried removing the headphones from Trusted Devices and re-adding them? Also, bear in mind that even with Trusted Devices, the phone has to authenticate the unlock at least once (usually better if you connect the headphones with the phone unlocked, that way it stays unlocked).

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I moved this from the Galaxy Alpha forum (I don't even remember that particular phone model!) to the S22 forum.

Do those headphones have a hands-free feature for making calls as well (i.e., dialing a number or choosing a contact to call)?

Any power-saving modes on the phone turned on? It's possible that a power-saving mode might interfere with something like Smart Lock.

Nov 3, 2022
Visit site
This new problem will kill people. I'm driving, I can't be distracted to unlock the phone everyone I want to make a call with my aftershox headphones. The ARE a trusted device already. Android s 22.

I use Bluetooth headphones to abide by the "Handsing system Free" laws and for my own safety while driving. When I am forced to unlock my phone for a Trusted Device that I have set up, I have to pick up my phone and enter my passcode. It is highly unsafe for Android to force us to do this. Taking my eyes off the road up to several times an hour could cause me to be in an accident. I am thinking a Class Action lawsuit or Personal Injure lawsuit or Wrongful Death will be the result of this bug or poorly thought out process. I shouldn't have to ever unlock my phone for a Trusted Device!

Yes, I have deleted the AfterShox headphones and re added them as a Trusted Device.

gomezz

May 8, 2021
Visit site
When I am forced to unlock my phone for a Trusted Device that I have set up, I have to pick up my phone and enter my passcode. It is highly unsafe for Android to force us to do this. Taking my eyes off the road up to several times an hour could cause me to be in an accident. I am thinking a Class Action lawsuit or Personal Injure lawsuit or Wrongful Death will be the result of this bug or poorly thought out process.
It is indeed highly unsafe but I doubt you will get far with a class action suit because you carried on fiddling with your phone despite knowing how dangerous it is while driving.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It is indeed highly unsafe but I doubt you will get far with a class action suit because you carried on fiddling with your phone despite knowing how dangerous it is while driving.

I can see where the OP is coming from, though. There are times (especially for work) where it may be important to field a call or make a call while on the road. A good Bluetooth headset usually has ways to do this in a mostly hands-free and safe manner (usually requiring only one or two presses of a button on the headset). But if the phone won't allow that hands-free function to work because it requires the user to unlock the phone first, it defeats the purpose. If I had to guess, I'd say it's an issue with the headset's firmware, maybe not playing nice with the S22's latest updates.

Mr Bojangles1

Oct 29, 2019
Visit site
Talking while driving isn't dangerous because of an object in your hand it's dangerous because you're taking your concentration away from driving and what you should be pay attention to. It's a horrible time to multitask lol

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Also, in many states and countries, operating a motor vehicle while wearing headphones is illegal... But that's a different discussion. Have you tried any other headphones and do they give you the same behavior (trying to figure out if the problem is with the phone or the headphones)? Does the same thing happen whether you're driving or just stationary? How are you initiating the call (i.e. Bixby, Assistant, etc.) and does it also happen when taking a call or just when initiating it? (If the latter, it may be an issue with BT device permissions with your assistant of choice).

gomezz

May 8, 2021
Visit site
I can see where the OP is coming from, though. There are times (especially for work) where it may be important to field a call or make a call while on the road
Only that important enough to imperil your own or other road users' safety if you are driving an emergency vehicle on a shout.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Talking while driving isn't dangerous because of an object in your hand it's dangerous because you're taking your concentration away from driving and what you should be pay attention to. It's a horrible time to multitask lol
Multitasking while driving was happening long long before cell phones. I drive truck and I can tell you I see a lot more distractions then cell phones. Cell phones is an issue, but I've seen way more dangerous situations, one reading a newspaper draped across the steering wheel.

Anyway back on subject..I agree with OP, this would drive me nuts also if it did this. The whole idea of trusted device is so you don't have to enter password all the time.

Sent from my SM-X800 using Tapatalk

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Multitasking while driving was happening long long before cell phones. I drive truck and I can tell you I see a lot more distractions then cell phones. Cell phones is an issue, but I've seen way more dangerous situations, one reading a newspaper draped across the steering wheel.

Anyway back on subject..I agree with OP, this would drive me nuts also if it did this. The whole idea of trusted device is so you don't have to enter password all the time.

Sent from my SM-X800 using Tapatalk

Just bear in mind that with Android security policies (and this has been the case for a couple of major versions now), Trusted Devices don't just unlock your phone (imagine having your phone locked, someone grabs your headphones, connects automatically and boom! unlocked device? Nope.), they are meant to keep your phone unlocked. So even if you connect a trusted device, in order for that functionality to 'kick in', you must first properly authenticate and unlock your phone; only then will your trusted device keep it that way.

Lee Bryan

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Trusted devices have never worked on me with any of my 4 or 5 past Samsung phones. I gave up long ago. I have my Galaxy 5pro watch, my Ford sync and my bose bluetooth ear phones set as trusted devices and I'm always having to enter the unlock code, driving, walking, sitting on my couch. It seems to work sometimes (takes a lot of time to try to trouble shoot it for sure) but way too often I have to unlock my phone when it's connected to a trusted device. Even on my bedside in the morning, phone is connected to my trusted device watch which I'm wearing plus blue tooth speaker trusted device and I give a voice command to turn on my coffee, and it says "Sure, but first you'll have to unlock your phone". I gave up on trusted devices long ago.

abcomputing

Jan 15, 2021
Visit site
The following is from the pdf manual regarding smart lock, does it possibly pertain to your situation?

"If you do not use your device for four hours or when you turn on the device, you
must unlock the screen using the pattern, PIN, or password you set."

Nov 3, 2022
Visit site
Talking with my headset is not dangerous on a straight ND road with little traffic. If you think that's dangerous, then I assume you never carry on a conversation with a passenger in your car, or use the radio (changing stations or volume), drink coffee or soda. Don't be rediculous. However, having to pickup my phone to unlock it, is dangerous. When a relative is in the hospital, your child is calling when they have been told 'only in emergencies', you are going to answer the phone. Using bluetooth headsets that are hands free is NOT illegal in most states. In some states someday it may be illegal to carry a passenger because you may be tempted to talk to them. Lets be realistic. If you can't talk to your fellow passenger and drive, you should NOT be driving. Take the bus!!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1