contacts out of control.

kirksucks

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Why does Gmail think that EVERYONE I've ever emailed in my inbox since 2004 is a contact?

I seriously have like 200 xjqr.90239083904@craigslist emails.... IN MY CONTACTS!!

ON MY PHONE!

why!

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Strange. When I email people from my gmail account, they do not get added to my contacts on my phone. The people in my phone are in the "My Contacts" portion of Contacts in gmail. People I've emailed end up in "Other Contacts" and do not show up on my phone.

Did you just get your phone? Maybe it somehow pulled all those people in erroneously at first, but, now it's okay? Have you tested it recently. Like, if you email someone brand new today, will they show up in your contacts on your phone? If not, you could delete all the contacts you don't want quickly through gmail in a browser and be done with it.

kirksucks

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I've factory reset like 3 times now... When it first starts up it syncs Google contacts and gmail and whatever else. It doesn't make people I email now contacts but for some reason it thinks everything that's in my inbox is a beloved contact.

I just wanna delete all contacts and start over... Which is what I tried to do but instead of backupassistant restoring the contacts from my old phone, it backed up my 0 contacts. So now backup assistant will restore 0 contacts. I need to somehow get my contacts off my blackberry and get them on my dinc2.

My Vcard has 2130 contacts but its just the 3 years of emails it thouht were contacts... And my original phone contacts are not included in that 2130.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Okay, well, at least we know a work around going forward if it doesn't add recently emailed people as contacts. Have you considered going into Gmail and deleting all the people you don't really need as contacts, like the craigslist email you mentioned? Maybe it'd be time consuming, but, it'd be quicker to do at a computer. I would assume once you delete them from your Gmail that they'd be deleted from your phone. Then, in the future if you did a factory reset or something, at least you'd have way less contacts to deal with deleting (only those people emailed since you deleted them all). That's all I can think of, maybe someone else will have a better idea. I really don't have any idea why it's doing that.

I had the same issue. I know I setup Backup Assistant with my old phone, but, I got zero contacts as well when I got my X2. I'm glad to be using Gmail now for contacts.

Yea, I mean, your original phone contacts aren't included because you got nothing from Backup Assistant. I am unfamiliar with Blackberry so I have no idea how you would go about getting your contacts. Maybe someone else will have some advice on that one.

kirksucks

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I downloaded a converter to convert my blackberry desktop software backup file to a csv file. A little tweaking in Excel and it was all good. I went to gmail and deleted all of my Google contacts. There was a section in gmail called Other Contacts. That's where all the erroneous contacts were. I imported the csv and then deleted all contacts on my phone then synced Google contacts .

Now in People I have my 150 or so contacts that were my blackbery contacts, now they are Google contacts. I have 0 phone contacts. I then linked up my Facebooks and twitters.

Everything is now as it should be......or so I though. Now I have no contacts in Google Talk. I've synced Google contacs but its not adding them to Google talk. I think it has something to do with how chat is configured in the web based gmail. But I'm not sure. Seems like if I have a Google contact it should show up in Talk right?

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Yea, I mentioned earlier that that is where the bad contacts would be. :p But, good, sounds like you got it all worked out.

I don't know anything about Google Talk. When you are in your Gmail account, on the left side where it says Chat, do these contacts match up with the ones in Google Talk? If so, you could always just add people in Gmail in the box that says "Search, add or invite," right below where it says Chat. It seems to look through your contacts for hits dynamically as you start typing. But, like I said, I know nothing of Google Talk other than what it is.

kirksucks

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Ok so I figured out the Talk issue. In my csv, for some reason it put the email address into Notes rather than the email field. Gotta fix the csv or change em one at a time via mobile browser.

Thanks guys

kirksucks

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm still having slight issues with text messages. I have some contacts that if i text them, it doesn't show their name or picture, just the phone number. it may have something to do with how the CSV is organized. going to mess around with it and see.

kirksucks

May 26, 2011
Visit site
ok deleting all my gmail contacts killed my google+ circles. just got that sorted and my contacts on my phone looks a little better now.

kirksucks

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I guess it gives me stuff to do on my phone. Things are ok now I think.
Thanks for riding along.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Haha, hell yea. As much as phones are phones, they have become so complicated now that they are like mini projects. Just like your PC. Yea, no problem. I just like helping out. :D

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BlancaV