"Current Location" weather problem

Phoenix111

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Doors anyone else experience this? Never had this problem before but when I woke up today it just says current location. I clicked update nearly 70 times but it would only pick up my town like 3 times. Could it be a verizon tower problem or is it a malfunction with my phone?

krelvinaz

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
I'm a weather buff... around here, it is quite common during the night for the current location METAR nearest to me to stop updating at night. The Airport related to it is closed late at night. Kinda weird when at 4am it says it is 108?F when it is only 94?F.

Not really impressed with most of the weather apps as they deal more with forecast info than actual current data. I'm more interested in current weather, not what is coming. Most METARS only update every 15 minutes or longer so they are only snapshots of what is happening at best.

Hitting my own weather station provides much more accurate information and updates once a minute, though I normally only look at it on demand. Use a simple mobile web page to get that, only takes a sec or to to load with tons more data than a typical weather app displays.

As for your problem, There are a lot of reasons why your weather may not be updating. Not sure I would hit it 70 times... would be easier to just hit one of the weather websites.

thegov

May 6, 2010
Visit site
If your gps is not enabled try turning it on so the phone can get an easier fix. Then you can turn it back off. This has worked for me on my evo.

joecredible

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
no i've had it happen to me many times, it was saying I was in Xenzhou, China and clearly I live in southern california. It was odd, I did a reboot through recovery and it sill didnt fix it, then all of a sudden the next time I looked at my phone it was back to where I was supposed to be. I think its just a little buggy. But now it works fine and havent traveled to china in a while ;)

peppermintpea

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
i just changed over from the DX to Dinc yesterday and now my current weather on the front of the phone says a town next to us.....but NOT right! how to clear this off? I have loaded my city but still unable to delete the "current" one...help?!

Phoenix111

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Still hasn't fixed itself. It's.the HTC Sense clock/weather widget. I traveled 45 mins away in two directions today, and it just says current location. Guess I have to call Verizon for another phone.

KB3MMX

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
You might not have good 3g coverage?
Make sure your 3g data signal is good, it doesn't like 1x data for the weather app very much I found out.
Hitting the circular arrows should update your position as long as 3g is good. You can set the update interval, I used 1hour to save battery life. Stock update interval is every 15 minutes ..

easy1jay

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
I've noticed the Sense Clock widget sometimes trips up like that. Most of this might be a bit obvious, so sorry for that. Try turning off Autosync (circle with two arrows on power control widget) and turning it back on or also disabling and re-enabling gps to update your location.

Have you've checked HTC's weather settings. Click the weather image on the flip clock, go to menu > settings or hit the two circling arrows to resync.

I personally use the weather/flip clock just for the look and feel of it. The weather animations are certainly a win. For reliable weather information, I'm been pretty happy with WeatherBug Elite, it updates pretty frequently and pulls data from the station closest to you, as opposed to just using broad data from the same city.

Phoenix111

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I've noticed the Sense Clock widget sometimes trips up like that. Most of this might be a bit obvious, so sorry for that. Try turning off Autosync (circle with two arrows on power control widget) and turning it back on or also disabling and re-enabling gps to update your location.

Have you've checked HTC's weather settings. Click the weather image on the flip clock, go to menu > settings or hit the two circling arrows to resync.

I personally use the weather/flip clock just for the look and feel of it. The weather animations are certainly a win. For reliable weather information, I'm been pretty happy with WeatherBug Elite, it updates pretty frequently and pulls data from the station closest to you, as opposed to just using broad data from the same city.

I'll agree that its not the most reliable, just trying to get that annoying" current location" message off of there.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Doors anyone else experience this? Never had this problem before but when I woke up today it just says current location. I clicked update nearly 70 times but it would only pick up my town like 3 times. Could it be a verizon tower problem or is it a malfunction with my phone?

WoW :eek: 70 times I would have probably gave up on 50 .;)

Make sure you dont have the force GPS ticked on I think that might just show as your current location

Last edited:

CutlaSS

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Ok. This just happened to me and what I did to fix it is:
In Settings->Location make sure Google Location Services is checked.

I did that then backed out to the home screen and went to the weather wigit and it immediately updated itself to my current location.

mcguirej

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
I get this same problem all of the time. My phone constantly thinks it is 300 miles away. I keep GPS turned off to save battery - turning it on is the easiest fix.

I think it is some sort of tower connectivity problem because I always have a weak signal and my phone spends >50% of the time searching for signal. There are two towers within a few miles of me so I should be getting a decent signal.

I have noticed if I travel to a larger town/city, I don't have this problem. Only when I am at home. Updating roaming capabilities has not affect. I have contacted Verizon several times and they have been of little help.

Phoenix111

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Just an update for anyone else that may be having this problem. I tried my wife's incredible (stock 2.1-yes 2.1, no root) and it's doing the same thing. So it looks more and more possible that it is a verizon tower problem. It won't show the city name on wifi either though. It still just says current location 99% of the time. Can anyone else make anything of this? I wonder if I called Verizon if they would be of any use at all.

user313

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
My phone's location is off too. It picked up after FROYO.

I think it is a google problem. In google maps there is a report "my location" problem function. I reported my problem today. Hopefully they fix it.

Jowlah

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
The only problem I have ever had with the HTC Weather widget is sometimes the widget displays the wrong time of day. I am in New York at 10 p.m. Why is the temperature sunny? Stuff like that happens every now and then. I usually can cross-reference the temperature since I also have the Weather Channel widget running the temperature in the notification bar. I still think its the coolest widget on my phone!

Phoenix111

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
The only problem I have ever had with the HTC Weather widget is sometimes the widget displays the wrong time of day. I am in New York at 10 p.m. Why is the temperature sunny? Stuff like that happens every now and then. I usually can cross-reference the temperature since I also have the Weather Channel widget running the temperature in the notification bar. I still think its the coolest widget on my phone!

Exactly, if nothing else it looks the most cool, which is why I want it to work correctly.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teresa Belmonte