Decided to Wait

dbermanmd

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I want to thank everybody here first of all. You guys have been great and informative which is great for a person like me (not a techy) .

I have come to the conclusion that i will wait it out another 3-6 months and soldier on with my Storm 1. For those of you who might be interested let me list my reasons in no particular order of importance:

1. Current issues with the GN: there remains several issues people are having with the device that keep attracting my attention related to software stuff - nothing huge but stuff that is there. My belief is that in another 4-6 months ICS will be smoother than it is now. That being said my next device will have ICS. You have to crawl before you walk and this is a normal process that any new operating goes through.

2. Battery life: the current battery will probably be ok for me and my level of using the device. That being said the concept of the Droid Razr Maxx is spot on. My belief is that battery life will continue to improve and that device makers are keying on this.

3. The Camera: not a biggie for me since its a cell phone first but there is little doubt in my mind that a 5MP camera is not up to snuff in todays marketplace. I am seeing already on the horizon for this year 12MP cameras. It would be nice to have as good a camera sensor as possible.

I have waited this long, a tad bit longer wont kill me. I am anticipating that with the iPhone5 due this summer that the droid makers will be gunning for it. It seems to me that another 4-6 months leaves me in a better position to acquire a phone or device that i can keep for years.

Again, thank you to everybody for their time and insight. I will be back with more questions i am sure in the near future. And best of luck with your current devices.

David

0pusX

May 27, 2010
Visit site
I think you made a very wise choice. I bought mine in January, a month after release, and while it is a nice phone, I am surprised at all the faults with this "pure google" device.

dubge

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
I don't see a big deal with the camera, anything over 5mp doesn't matter unless you are blowing the pictures up to poster size. Beside I have a couple of dslr cameras and a bunch of L lenses if I need better pictures

I do see your point on the battery, though I just flashed 4.04 last night and am down only 13% in 10.5 hours (min use) with the extended battery. Before I flashed I could get 12 hours or more with heavy use.

Don't get me wrong I am not saying you made a bad decision, if you felt this phone wasn't the right one then you made the right choice. 20 months is a long time to get stuck with something you are not happy with.

Good luck finding a phone, the maxx does look nice!

rgm1266

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I just purchased the GN this past Sunday and I'm starting to regret my decision. While the phone and its potential is awesome, the constant radio/data issues is starting to drive me crazy.

I get 14 days to decide if I should keep it, return it and wait for something else, or swap it out for something already on the market.

My question is, do you think the radio/data issue will ever be resolved? Or should I return the device?

Thanks fo you opinion.

turdbogls

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
you realize stuff is just going to get better and better right? battery life is going to keep increasing while keeping the size down, cameras are going to get better and better, sofware is going to get better and better, screens are going to get better and better.....

in short, if you are waiting for the perfect device, you will be waiting forever.

but it is your choice, IMO, the nexus is going to be a "cutting edge" phone for at least a year and a half. it will always have the latest/greatest from Google, I dont think 1080P screens will be coming any time soon. the only downfall i see with the phone is the camera. which for me is like last on the list of things to consider when looking for a phone.

but again, its your choice.

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I must say nicely done post.

Anyways, I think it's rather wise to wait a little longer. Especially if you can be patient with the current device you have now. But I must agree with the sentiment that hopefully you aren't waiting for the "perfect" device because it'll never come.

Generally speaking...each device will have some problems (at least to some people), each device will eventually be superseded in technology not long after it's been released. The moment a new phone reaches your hands, it's already outdated. It's the way the tech world goes.

dbermanmd

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I must say nicely done post.

Anyways, I think it's rather wise to wait a little longer. Especially if you can be patient with the current device you have now. But I must agree with the sentiment that hopefully you aren't waiting for the "perfect" device because it'll never come.

Generally speaking...each device will have some problems (at least to some people), each device will eventually be superseded in technology not long after it's been released. The moment a new phone reaches your hands, it's already outdated. It's the way the tech world goes.

Thank you for your kind comment.

Trust me, after half a century on this planet, married for 3+ decades to a great gal who keeps reminding me i am not perfect, at least that i am getting closer to it because of her :) - nothing is perfect. Even my kids keep telling me that....

In any event i agree with you. I am not waiting for perfect just for what can get me through the next several years without regrets. The GN is close - great screen, no fixed buttons, NFC, etc. But the things it is lacking in my opinion are going to be available soon, especially given the emergence of the iPhone 5 shortly. The droid makers are going to be hard pressed to keep up and in fact will have to EXCEED its capabilities to make up for not being Apple.

I have kept my Storm 1 for almost 39 months. Not a perfect device but up until recently more than adequate for my needs. I want to feel the same way about my next device i3 years after i buy it. And i dont think the GN will allow me to do that.

David

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
you realize stuff is just going to get better and better right? battery life is going to keep increasing while keeping the size down, cameras are going to get better and better, sofware is going to get better and better, screens are going to get better and better.....

in short, if you are waiting for the perfect device, you will be waiting forever.

but it is your choice, IMO, the nexus is going to be a "cutting edge" phone for at least a year and a half. it will always have the latest/greatest from Google, I dont think 1080P screens will be coming any time soon. the only downfall i see with the phone is the camera. which for me is like last on the list of things to consider when looking for a phone.

but again, its your choice.
Exactly. By the time someone thinks they have the perfect phone, there is another one on the horizon that will blow that one away. People need to realize that the Nexus line will always have some bugs because they are basically guinea pigs for all the other phones yet to come out with the latest OS. If someone is content with a Storm for 6 more months, I guess having a high tech phone is not the first priority in their phone choosing process. I couldn't stand to have my OG Droid one day longer than I needed to.

Mayze

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Another cool story. Best wishes. I hope you find your dream phone in the near future. I remember having a storm 1. I wish i could have those months back. Oh well it was a learning experience.

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for your kind comment.

Trust me, after half a century on this planet, married for 3+ decades to a great gal who keeps reminding me i am not perfect, at least that i am getting closer to it because of her :) - nothing is perfect. Even my kids keep telling me that....

In any event i agree with you. I am not waiting for perfect just for what can get me through the next several years without regrets. The GN is close - great screen, no fixed buttons, NFC, etc. But the things it is lacking in my opinion are going to be available soon, especially given the emergence of the iPhone 5 shortly. The droid makers are going to be hard pressed to keep up and in fact will have to EXCEED its capabilities to make up for not being Apple.

I have kept my Storm 1 for almost 39 months. Not a perfect device but up until recently more than adequate for my needs. I want to feel the same way about my next device i3 years after i buy it. And i dont think the GN will allow me to do that.

David

Fair point. There are certainly some exciting phones coming up this year, it'll be a good time to be in the market for a new smartphone. :)

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Another quick note... I thought I read somewhere when the Galaxy Nexus first came out, an article was comparing cameras and it stated that the sensor in the iphone 4s was the same as the one in the iphone 4,but iPhone 4s had 8 mp instead of 5 mp. You can't go solely by the mp count.

dbermanmd

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Another cool story. Best wishes. I hope you find your dream phone in the near future. I remember having a storm 1. I wish i could have those months back. Oh well it was a learning experience.

Here is my dream phone:

quad core (i know, dual is fine but why not double up)
720p /super oled or whatever the best display is - and large one at that. >4.3"
NFC
expandable memory
3000 + mAh battery
LTE
No widget bloat
excellent reliable radio
drop proof (at least as drop proof as my Storm 1 which has been dropped soooo many times and keeps on ticking)
12mp camera front, 2mp back

did i forget anything?

dubge

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
You know one of these company should do a build your own phone were you can select options like dell does with computers. Upgrade the camera, screen, memory, things that wouldn't effect the os

dbermanmd

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
You know one of these company should do a build your own phone were you can select options like dell does with computers. Upgrade the camera, screen, memory, things that wouldn't effect the os

Great idea!

I dont think i can wait that long to find out though.

yosteve

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
It's way better to wait on your decision than to be trapped in a contract and have to wait.

edit: I will say however that I too lived with an old phone and held on (windows) for over 3 years and technology definitely made a huge jump and I use my phone for things I never did on my phone (either not possible or too slow), like streaming audio (with sleep and alarm) and video, video and picture editing, gaming, navigation, these forums, media on bluetooth with equalizers, voice searches, swipe, cloud, and of course the ability to change pretty much every aspect of my phone, the way I want it to look.

If you have the funds, get the phone and sell it when something better comes for a hit, it's that good. Not even for the phone but for the technology bump, even for a few months it's worth switching.

Last edited:

axne1

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
It's way better to wait on your decision than to be trapped in a contract and have to wait.

edit: I will say however that I too lived with an old phone and held on (windows) for over 3 years and technology definitely made a huge jump and I use my phone for things I never did on my phone (either not possible or too slow), like streaming audio (with sleep and alarm) and video, video and picture editing, gaming, navigation, these forums, media on bluetooth with equalizers, voice searches, swipe, cloud, and of course the ability to change pretty much every aspect of my phone, the way I want it to look.

If you have the funds, get the phone and sell it when something better comes for a hit, it's that good. Not even for the phone but for the technology bump, even for a few months it's worth switching.

your absolutely right I used best buy buy back program. If I don't like my phone 6 months from now I can trade it in for half the price that is retail 4, and by the new phone for half price. I don't feel lot into the nexus I feel that I have the capability now with the buy back program to where I can switch phones like people switch cars. :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adawdadawd